Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

Previous mesgs on this board about new boots for 1800s were a little watery, excuse the pun. Has anybody done decent miles on replacement tyres on their 1800 yet? What's the verdict? Long touring life and good wet grip are more important to me than anything. I'm coming up on 8500 miles on my original Bridgestone Exedras, and I have no complaints with them. The rear is near the end of life. So what do I put on next???

Steve18

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Tyre questions are like oil questions, loads of personal preferences and no real answers. I've asked around and even though I hate Bridgestones ,apparently the new ones on the 1800 are much improved. No doubt someone else will say they are rubbish and will swear by another make!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I don't think any tyre is really suited for the Wing at the moment. Metz and Bridgestone have apparently pulled the plug and are changing the make-up of their tyres for the 1800. It must be difficult to get a good balance on a tyre for an 800lb bike.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Not getting much help here folks...

Steve18

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

The Dunlops fitted to the 03 and later is my preferred tyre. 8000 miles and still there is legal thread, good wet grip as well. This subject is well covered if you are to look in the old forum, most people will not repeat themselves in multiple threads with topic the same, or play games.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I replacedmy damaged Bridgestones 709s with the same ones again. 4,800 miles on since then (done a bit around Europe) and I have to say they are brilliant. Never once slid in the wet. Asking about tyres is a waste of time, unless known problems or issues come to light. I asked about tyre choice in this thread http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=127&forum_id=1&highlight=BigAland I still ended up buying the tyre that I was going to buy anyway! I remember asking about tyres for my 1500 once and wastold Avons were a super tyre with good grip, so I went out and bought them. Big mistake, the Avons were the worst tyre I ever had. Loads of road noise, rear wheel wandering on road lines and lousy grip in the wet. Whatever tyre you decide on, my advice is to steer clear of Avon.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

I went with the 709s as well to replace the 707s. about 4000 miles on them and it seems like there will be lots of life left on them. I think they handle about the same as the 707s in the wet (quite good) but of course there is no cupping issue with the 709. I'm impressed so far. On other forums I see tons of mixed reports about ALL the available tyres, if I had heeded them all I probably would never have bought any tyres at all and just left the 1800 in the shed!

If Steve has no cpmplaints with his Bridgestones then the question has to be "why not just buy another set if you are happy with them?"

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Ok Guys:?,

Bridgestone 709's seem to be the way to go. I will get more opinions in Sth Ann St on Sunday morning b4 I finally make my mind up, but thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.:D

Steve18

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.