Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I will be needing new rubber for my 1200 soon. Currently on Metzeler 880s. Has anyone that already used 880s on a gl1200 found a better tyre? Thanks. :waving:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Can't speak from experience on 1200's but it's been my experience that the ME880's give the best combination of wet, cold, handling, mileage on my 1500.

But I haven't tried the new Dunlop Elite III's

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Can the Elite III's be used on the older Wings?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Looks like they make them for 1200's

MT90B16 Front 770# capacity at 40 PSI

MV85B15 Rear 910# capacity at 40 PSI

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
I will be needing new rubber for my 1200 soon. Currently on Metzeler 880s. Has anyone that already used 880s on a gl1200 found a better tyre? Thanks. :waving:
Hiya

I have fitted Michelin commanders on mine, there seems to be a delivery problem on a lot of brands in the UK at the moment, could not get bridgestone or Metzler at all. Covered a thousand miles so far on the 1200 with commanders. They have behaved great , in the dry I feel supremley confident on them , I got the pegs , exhaust bolts and my knee down at the weekend while playing in the twisties with some sports bikes....:)- it can be done.
In a ride across Wester Ross on Saturday in light rain and damp roads cornering was very stable, the only thing that made me worry was wet cattle grids, get those suckers wrong and they bite!

:doh:

I have never used metzlers but have heard nothing but good things, I would have fitted them if I could have got them in a timely fashion.

Thanks

BB

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just put a set of Bridgestone Spitfire S11's on my 1984 Aspencade and must say, I am very impressed with the ride and handling. Previously had Dunlop Elite II's but found them hard, tricky in the wet and difficult with road surface variations. The 'Stones have a harder compound in the middle of the tread and a softer compound on the outside treads. I'm with Redwing on this issue!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Why wouldn't you be able to use radials?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The wheels aren't made for them. Dunlop makes two varieties of the Elite IIIs, one bias belted and one radial.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I screwed up, I meant look at the Bias ply tires. I knew the radials were for the GL1800. Doh!

Raymond

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Thanks Paul. I seemed to recall a thread way back that had something in it about radials and old wings. Couldn't remember if you could or couldn't.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm with Redwing on the Bridgestone S11 tires. I've been using them for quite a few years now and they make an old bike feel like new... great handling and pretty good wear life.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

This is from another site, I queried the statement but as you can see his/her answer.
I have been to the Dunlop site and it doesnt say they are available?

[line]

finally after waiting almost 2 1/2 months, i got elite 3's on. rides great now, but i think that any tires would be better than the bald, worn-out ones that was on.

ON the GL1200? I didn't think they had made them for this model?

they make em for the 1200, mine is an '86 aspy. just took forever to get them. i'm told there is along waiting list at the moment, something about demand is higher than the production rate.......imagine that.

[line]

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
BRowan, trying to recommend a tire is like trying to recommend a shoe to buy (it's a personal choice).

I can relate my personal experience's though.

Wasn't happy with the Dunlops (EliteII)in the rain but was happy with the wear.

Ran a couple of sets of Metzler 880's & loved them in the rain & twisty roads (I didn't get my handle for nothing) but the wear issue was rather poor (maybe it was my riding style though). Still like the 880's..

At the moment I have an 880 on the rear & a Metzler commander on the front, excellent handling & decent ride but the front tire is going away at just under 5000 miles.

Might try the Elite III next change but I have a co-worker running them & they are starting to cup on the edges & getting noisy at 2500 miles (he's not an easy rider either so that could have an effect).

Twisty

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I had elite 2's on my old 1200 changed them to ME880's and loved them. Bought the new bike with new elite 2's on it and I am trying to wear them out as fast as possible so that I can put Metzlers on it.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Interesting article, I disagree with his explanation on left side tire wear, his photos don't show the amount of tread deflection when he draws all his lines, I'm a firm believer in road crown affecting tire wear side to side.

Simple difference of opinion, I base mine on 35 years of riding experience and 10 years of motorcycle industry experience.

That's why I think inflation is the key to tire wear.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Tonys96 wrote:
Interesting article, I disagree with his explanation on left side tire wear, his photos don't show the amount of tread deflection when he draws all his lines, I'm a firm believer in road crown affecting tire wear side to side.

Simple difference of opinion, I base mine on 35 years of riding experience and 10 years of motorcycle industry experience.

That's why I think inflation is the key to tire wear.
Should be easy to prove, how about it you guys in Ireland and the UK, do your tires wear more on the right side?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.