Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi .All

Sure this has come up before,cant find any info on the subject.

Has anybody out there tried a car tyre on the back of there wing,?Aim travelling around Australia and towing a trailer so wont be doing any fancy' cornering and need to get more mileage out of my wheels.
Cheers.:waving:

Tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I'm sure some of the car tire guys will respond shortly. I have rode with people that have them and they seem to work just fine. I followed one fellow all over Arkansas on a bunch of twisty roads, I was impressed with how well the car tire worked.

I have a second wheel I was going to try a car tire on, but my new 09 has the tire pressure monitor and I don't want the warning light on all the time.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome .

Theres been discussion on these boards previosly . You might try and use the search function . Meanwhile I'll be fetching my kevlar jacket . You could also try to PM ( private message ) member Kit Carson .

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Tom, try this LINK. There is a LOT of information about using car tires on 1800's.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of us using a car tire on 1800s. None that I know of will ever go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear. Most are using a run flat 195/55 16. I am an outlaw dark sider and use a non run flat 205/55 and love it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

No one in their right mind would use a Car Tire on a Motorcycle. Everyone knows that those tires are square and cannot possibly work.

I tried on one time and could not get turned around the corners. My friends got tired of me calling them for a trailer all the time, I would just get the bike off the trailer and geez there is another corner. :action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:.

A final journey-to the Darkside-never to return. - General Motorcycle Discussion Forum - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Hang tight. I have a tire coming out of Georgia. It is a very hard to find and obtain tire.

It is a Dunlop 3D Wintersport ROF(run flat) 175/60/16.

Some very experienced folks have been using this tire for about a month or so and one fellow who brought it to our attention has several years use with it.

It is supposed to eliminate the tail kick, and not require any noticeable extra counter steer. All the advantages of the CT, with extra traction and the safety of the Run Flat with the performance of the round tire.

I will try it out, will take me about 30 days, a new rim with metal stem is waiting for the tire all ready to go, will take me about 30 minutes to mount the tire and put it on the bike.

I am pretty excited about it, those who are using it are no dummies and have lots of experience, and it seems very promising.

Edit: Food for thought. In just the last six months , I and those who use a CT on the 1800 have seen our group who use them grow on a forum setting to over 300 riders. In the last few months close to 80 riders have went to a CT and none of them are dissapointed, none of them have went back to a round tire. Many more have went to a CT but do not join simply due to the controversy and they have no wish to become involved in it. Even my local club has many now going to the CT.

A Run Flat on the 1800 , of the proper size and tread. Is a very good thing. A safe tire, and has many characteristics for the type of roads we all normally run , that simply are an advantage. They will and do perform well on the twisties, (with a different feel) and are in no way unsafe. There is more traction, wet or dry, that is just how it is. I will no longer get into hydroplane discussions and the like, I will simply use real world experience from now on. I now have first hand experience with them, and I like it. :)

If this will work I think you will find this interesting. I think you have to read the first thread and enter the birthday password. 'Shows in photos actual CT use, and very interesting photo of a sport bike radial. Photos are worth many words.

darksider on the dragon - GL1800Riders
Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.