Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So will it be worth my time, and can I even accomplish the task of changing the u-joints on my bike....or should I just take it to the shop and have it done?:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd guess it depends on how bad it needs changing and how fast you need it done. Not all that difficult. Kind of unusual to need to change one though how bad is yours?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

FNGGW2012 wrote:
So will it be worth my time, and can I even accomplish the task of changing the u-joints on my bike....or should I just take it to the shop and have it done?
> There's only one U-joint.
> While you're in there, be ready to also replace the Rubber Boot that covers it... eg Check it ahead of time (prior to dis-assembly of bike), to see if it has any tears.
> Replacing the U-joint is pretty easy, although time-consuming... First time will likely take you 6hrs though, as you'll have to remove a lot of parts (side trunks, rear wheel, rear drive)

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Agreed... it is too big of a job not to replace the silly boot on a bike that old.

You'll have to pull the wheel and then the rear diff. I've had mine out before and I didn't think it was all that hard. (of course I move at a snails pace...) Just for you knowledge I have heard the Valkyrie boots will fit on the wings but are thicker and therefore resist tearing better. Also a great time to take a look at the swing arm bushings...

Moly, moly moly... whatever you do, lube those splines.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
FNGGW2012 wrote:
So will it be worth my time, and can I even accomplish the task of changing the u-joints on my bike....or should I just take it to the shop and have it done?
> There's only one U-joint.
There are two U-joints if you're talking about a trike.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
There are two U-joints if you're talking about a trike.
>

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The avatar doesn't always tell the whole story grasshopper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.