Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK guys who here on the board has changed a boot for the universal joint?? I've got the final drive out on the floor (85 Aspy) and can look way up and see the Ujoint.
To change the boot does the swing arm have to come out??? Will the U joint slide back far enough in order to sneak the old boot out and the new boot in?? My Clymer manual says to pull the swingarm to replace the Ujoint but whatabout just the boot??
Looking for a short cut or an easier way....if the swing arm has to come out any special tools needed? Have a good used low mileage Ujoint if the swing arm has to come out.
My old boot has a split in it and needs to be changed.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Mark

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I did a search on 'boot' and found this posting from Brian Rowan concerning the 1500:

You won't be able to pull the UJ off fully to fit the rubber without removing the back wheel and unbolting the differential, then sliding it back enough to fit the rubber.

You can always use the search box at the top of this page to hunt for items in past posts. There has been so much covered that odds are good you will find something of use.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well I got into tonight and found that YES the Ujoint will just slide off the end of the output shaft leaving 1/2" of space to squeeze the old boot out and the new one in with the final drive and shaft out. There is no circlip on the 1200's output shaft. But to remove the Ujoint you must remove the swingarm! I did not have to as the ujoint in the bike is OK...easy enough to check for any play and freedom of movement in the bike.
So the boot, for those of you who will have to change it sooner or later, aint that bad at all.
Learning something more about the bike always useful!

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

The spline receiver is spring loaded, try inserting a long thin screwdriver in and pushing backwards. May not do the trick, but doesnt cost anything to try. Thats how the spline is popped on after an engine installation.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The U joint really needs a blob of grease smeared onto it in the hope that some of it will get into the pivots and extend the life of the joint for a bit longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.