Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1979 KZ 750 (Sold) 1984 GS750ES (Stolen) 1977 GL1000 (Currently undergoing renovation)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting ready to redo my carbs and was wanting to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner to assist with the cleaning. What would be a good size? Also, what cleaning solution would those of you who have used one to clean your carbs recommend? I am working on a 1977 if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,481 Posts
the one at Harbor Freight is just barely big enough to do a small carb, like one off a 4 cylinder Goldwing, I have one, and it is best for Jewelry.... small stuff like that

When I was a Work-aholic, my UltraSonic tanks was 12" wide, 16" long, and about 8" deep IIRC

been 20 years now since I saw it

Measure the size of the job you want to clean, and select one of these

·
Registered
1979 KZ 750 (Sold) 1984 GS750ES (Stolen) 1977 GL1000 (Currently undergoing renovation)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I probably need to look at ones that are a little larger than I have been.

·
Administrator
62,481 Posts
also, the Higher the Power Rating, the better it will clean those tiny idle circuits.

one is 900W but too pricey for the average hobbiest.

this one is about the size of what we were using, It cleaned the worst looking crap off of metal overnight like a champ....

Carbs came out of the tank looking Factory New, IIRC, I used Simple Green as the cleaner solution

·
Administrator
28,806 Posts
I bought one from Amazon that says it's 3 liter, it won't hold 1/2 that actually, just barely big enought fo a motorcycle carb. Vevor is the brand name. First thing off the bat the heater didn't work, I contacted the seller and tried to get them to just send me the part it needed but they couldn't do that but they did give me a refund and let me keep it. I rigged the heater to work myself.
As for cleaning solutions I used Berrymans for carbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you both for all of the information. It gives me a lot more things to look at.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,763 Posts
also, the Higher the Power Rating, the better it will clean those tiny idle circuits.

one is 900W but too pricey for the average hobbiest.

this one is about the size of what we were using, It cleaned the worst looking crap off of metal overnight like a champ....

Carbs came out of the tank looking Factory New, IIRC, I used Simple Green as the cleaner solution
Wow! Only 12 hundred bucks and... they give you a free basket?! Who could say no to that?

·
Administrator
62,481 Posts
look close, they all have baskets, how else are you going to pull the goods out of the soup?

I have the little toy model from Harbor Freight, IMO, waste of money....
can't put anything in it bigger than a teacup.

·
Premium Member
50,356 Posts
The 10L/2.5 gallon one I got from Amazon will almost hold a fully disassembled Holly 4 barrel. About $153 now. May be more than you want to spend, but I needed a large one for my projects. A tip I was given is put as many parts in a zip lock bag with whatever your cleaner is. (A PB jar will also work) Put the bags in the cleaner then fill to level with water. You'll save on cleaner and your parts will be just as clean. L.A. Awesome is a good cleaner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info. I have started to look at the 10L cleaners. The zip lock bags/PB jar is a good idea. I have also seen that someone uses a locking loose leaf tea steeper to hold small parts, too.

·
Administrator
28,806 Posts
A tip I was given is put as many parts in a zip lock bag with whatever your cleaner is. (A PB jar will also work) Put the bags in the cleaner then fill to level with water. You'll save on cleaner and your parts will be just as clean. L.A. Awesome is a good cleaner.
That is a good idea. I use mine mostly for cleaning brass & the small 9mms fall through the basket so I have put a piece of window screen in it. I'll try your trick next time.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Also I use glass jars to be able to use a lot of different cleaners and in small quantities. I just keep plain water in the ultrasonic, then add whatever cleaner I want to each jar; carb cleaner, simple green, purple power, acetone, IPA, whatever. I can even run more than one cleaner at the same time.

·
Administrator
62,481 Posts
Also I use glass jars to be able to use a lot of different cleaners and in small quantities. I just keep plain water in the ultrasonic, then add whatever cleaner I want to each jar; carb cleaner, simple green, purple power, acetone, IPA, whatever. I can even run more than one cleaner at the same time.
now that is a good idea, no sense is filling the tank with a powerful cleaner, just the small amount you need for jets, etc

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I am finally getting ready to redo my carbs and was wanting to purchase an ultrasonic cleaner to assist with the cleaning. What would be a good size? Also, what cleaning solution would those of you who have used one to clean your carbs recommend? I am working on a 1977 if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!
Go to a second hand store & buy a big old stainless cooking pot, boil your carb bodies in vinegar & water, works pretty well & costs $15 bucks or less (Don't use your wife's favorite pot, or boil carbs when she's around....it stinks to high heaven!) Use spray carb cleaner for the bits & pieces....& avoid harsh chemicals on the felts that seal the butterfly shafts.
(and copious amounts of compressed air is a must!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got one off Ebay, similar to the 2.5 gal. unit mentioned above, works great, about $120. I used Krud Kutter from the grey jug and full strength. Won't hurt rubber, aluminum, etc. For cleaning small bits, get a couple large metal tea strainers, most will have a little chain and hook on it. Put the small stuff in it and screw the lid back on, hang it on one end of the basket to cook while the body is cooking. I run mine at full heat and two 90 minute cycles, comes out factory clean and too hot to handle without gloves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts