Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I want to take off the side fairing accents on my 1800, to see if I can relocate them better. They are the chromed steel ones from Honda and though I read that these are not a perfect fit etc, want to satisfy my curiosity.
Unfortunately I did too good a job of cleaning the site installation and now they don't want move! :cheeky1: So as I don't want to damage the paint, does anyone have home remedy for this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

That appears to be a difficult part to easily remove. :XYou might try applying gentle heat from a hairdryer, this might serve to soften the sticky padding? It will make the chromed part quite warm then though, so might be very warm to touch, as I have found before. :shock:

If you do get them released successfully a combination of surgical spirit and just your finger nail only should remove any residual goo. The surgical spirit should also clean the areas well for re attaching as well. Surgical spirit can be purchaced from good chemists very cheaply.

Do not apply more heat than a hair dryer will provide, or you will end up with damaged plastics.

Good luck mate!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What Pete says: Does work. Heat up the part with the hair dryer, I use a heat gun but you have to be very careful with it. Takes a bit of time, heat it up for ten minutes or so, make sure the entire part is quite warm, then using gloves, grab it on one end or the other and with just a gentle steady pull remove it. You pull and do not stop, but do not pull hard, pull just enough to keep the tape slowly letting loose, sometimes the tape will come apart, you may also damage the bling part, sometimes force great enough to warp the chrome part is needed. That tape does stick well most of the time.

The secret is to get the thing heated well and over its entire part, but not use too much heat so as to damage the paint or body parts.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Many thanks for the input.:waving:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Try using a plastic body filler spreader.Car body shops use these to remove mouldings,gently work it in between panel and moulding along its length,as moulding starts to seperate it will gradually get easier.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
I like the un-bling part...chrome sucks....yes I said it...CHROME SUCKS...

HERESY !!!!!!:shock: Off with his Head !!!!!!:cool: Do something Steve !!!!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

3m makes a solvent for this exact application. Body shops are a possible source.They use it to remove emblems they intend on reusing.Hobbyshops also sell a debonder designed for cyanoacrilate glues.I used the debonder to remove a GPS mount the PO left on the radio cover. Worked like a champ.You just drip some behind the emblem,and let her soak for a minute, and start pulling up.As the glue lets go, keep dripping it on the sticky and it slowly lets go. I didn;t rub hard on the paint to clean up, a quick light sweep with a SOFT cloth,then after it has all evaporated,I used a drop on a rag to remove the residue. Good luck, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I don't see any problem with this piece at all, all it takes to remove it is a deer, I remember picking one up of the road on the Blue Ridge after johnboy dispatched the large rodent. It popped off neat as could be, mind you it did cost about $4000 to put back on :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Heat the part up with a hair dryer and then pull a thin cord like a piece of fish line or dental floss under it to part the tape.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
3m makes a solvent for this exact application. Body shops are a possible source.They use it to remove emblems they intend on reusing.Hobbyshops also sell a debonder designed for cyanoacrilate glues.I used the debonder to remove a GPS mount the PO left on the radio cover. Worked like a champ.You just drip some behind the emblem,and let her soak for a minute, and start pulling up.As the glue lets go, keep dripping it on the sticky and it slowly lets go. I didn;t rub hard on the paint to clean up, a quick light sweep with a SOFT cloth,then after it has all evaporated,I used a drop on a rag to remove the residue. Good luck, jimsjinx
Nail polish remover is alot cheaper than the Debonder stuff

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I don't see any problem with this piece at all, all it takes to remove it is a deer, I remember picking one up of the road on the Blue Ridge after johnboy dispatched the large rodent. It popped off neat as could be, mind you it did cost about $4000 to put back on :)
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.