Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 76 GL1000 which i am unable to get onto its center stand. it takes 2 of us to pull it back far enough to engage the stand. is this the same on all early wings? are they all so heavy that it is almost impossible to swingthem onto their center stands, or is it just mine that has a problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

smitpet wrote:
I have a 76 GL1000 which i am unable to get onto its center stand. it takes 2 of us to pull it back far enough to engage the stand. is this the same on all early wings? are they all so heavy that it is almost impossible to swingthem onto their center stands, or is it just mine that has a problem.
You just gotta get the knack, they are heavy but not all that bad. On the 1200 and 1500 you put your left hand on the left grip, yourright foot on the end of the center stand, grab the passenger grab handle with your righthand and lift straight up while putting your weight on the end of the center stand, alley-oop and up she comes. I don't think your bike has the grab handle, but does have a strap across the seat that will do the job.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

It is a learned technique.

1. Stand alongside your bike on the left side while it rests on the sidestand.

2. Bring it upright with your right hip aligned with the top of the shock and close into the bike.

3. Grasp the rear grab handle.

4. Flex your knees slightly and lean slightly forward.

5. Catch thecenter stand and lower it with your right instep.

6. Holding thecenter standagainst the ground with your right instep, lift the bike by straightening up and leaning back at the same time. It will rotate up onto the stand.

It takes practice and it is best to have your helper spot for you at first, but it soon will become a smooth practiced movement.

Some one else can explain a graceful way to bring it down off the stand!!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

When I bought my '83 last year, I couldn't get it up on the center stand. Then I had someone show me how it can be done easily.

You put your right foot down(on the centerstand peg), you put your left foot out, you take your left hand and put it on the grip(left),thenyouput your right hand on the left side of the passenger side chrome and with one smooth motion, pull back and up and step down on the centerstand peg. My 83 rolls right up on the stand. As far as the dis-mount, I just rock the bike back and forth and come off the stand gracefully.

and do the hokey pokey and pass it all around:action:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Well, I'd like to see someone do that! With me, took a while to learn how to get her up on the center stand without the hernia and grunting (goes up real easy now). However, getting off the center stand is an anything but graceful, rollercoaster ride of awkwardness that often gives onlookers a chuckle. Heh, let THEM try to do it without looking goofy. :)

Jack

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

smitpet, if your center stand pivot is dry and your brakes are sticking it can make your Wing very hard to get on the stand. Also, worn tires and sagging springs help lower the bike, which also makes it more difficult to get on the centerstand.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Brojees wrote:
Well, I'd like to see someone do that! With me, took a while to learn how to get her up on the center stand without the hernia and grunting (goes up real easy now). However, getting off the center stand is an anything but graceful, rollercoaster ride of awkwardness that often gives onlookers a chuckle. Heh, let THEM try to do it without looking goofy. :)

Jack
I don't like to ride off the centerstand so I cheat and put down the sidestand first and then let her off the centerstand, easier for an old guy like me to throw a leg over if the bike is on the kick stand anyway. I never liked getting on by standing on one of the pegs after I had one bend (it wasn't a Goldwing) under my great mass. Not much fun riding home with the left peg sagging, harder to shift too.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

It's all about the "fulcrum" and how the bike will balance once on it. You do most of the lifting by *pushing down* on the center stand. Bring the bike up to level with your right foot on the center stand. You will *feel* it come to level. Once that happens, it is simply a matter of pushing down on the center stand with your right foot and gently coaxing the bike along with your arms. If you try to lift it, you never will. I was trying that at first, too
:shock:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You are right sanfelice ,,,The secret is in the foot,,it is really important to have both legs of the main stand touching the ground and you PRESS the stand down with your foot (not pull the bike up with your hand)and gently guide the bike onto the stand,,If you try and lift the bike on to the stand using your hand and arm it will pull the bike towards you thus leaving only one leg of the stand on the ground and then it is almost impossible to put it on the stand ,,Also check how free the stand is to move by putting the bike on the side stand and moving the main stand with your hand if it is stiff ,then lubricate it ,,if you type in "stand" in the search box above ,you will find this subject was extensively covered before ,with some very good tips in it ,:waving:,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Paul,

I know you don't like seat backs. But when you have them, mounting off the pegs, (Floorboards in my case), is the best way to clear the back.

I am always a wee bit apprehensive to bring it off the centerstand when I am not mounted. Of course each of us has had those times when we let it get a wee bit too far over and are forced to ask for help

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

If I myself can do it with remnants of two Blown discs in my lower back anyone should be able to.

Grab left handle, Grab seat rail and like they already said, stand on the center stand andwhalla.

It took me a few practice trys but I managed.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
Paul,
I know you don't like seat backs. But when you have them, mounting off the pegs, (Floorboards in my case), is the best way to clear the back.
I am always a wee bit apprehensive to bring it off the centerstand when I am not mounted. Of course each of us has had those times when we let it get a wee bit too far over and are forced to ask for help
Part of my dislike of seat backs is the feeling of being confined on the bike. Feels like the thing will get in my way if I ever had to get off in a hurry. The Drag Specialties version also getsin the way of the woman who hangs around here. Most of all I guess I just don't like the look of it, looks too much like a chair instead of a bike!:goofygrin:

The Utopia backrest might have been better, probably wouldn't cause passenger complaints, but I like the bike best without it. I'll know for sure by the end of May, my brother and I are planning on a 2400 mile ride. If he can make it on his ugly BMW without a backrest I can do it too. If I feel a lack when I get back I might be in the market to try the Utopia type!

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I am curious... does the bike have original '17 rear tyre or did someone put on '16 rim... it was very popular with the early wings to do that which would lower the rear end... you might also try a 1/2" peice of ply wood to run the rear wheel unto.... the extra hieght helps

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I do it the way these guys explained it , exept I rock the bike forward 4 inches then while rolling it backwards I step on the center stand and it pops right up! Don't know how good that is for the stand but I only put it up on the center stand 3 or 4 times a year?!

Wash down some pancakes with some Banana milk shakes twice a day for a year and the extra 50 pounds will help the bike pop right up !!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
It's all about the "fulcrum" and how the bike will balance once on it. You do most of the lifting by *pushing down* on the center stand. Bring the bike up to level with your right foot on the center stand. You will *feel* it come to level. Once that happens, it is simply a matter of pushing down on the center stand with your right foot and gently coaxing the bike along with your arms. If you try to lift it, you never will. I was trying that at first, too
:shock:
I just hold the left grip, sorta pull up on the side chrome next to the seat, and more or less stand on the center stand. Goes right up every time.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Isnt that why a Goldwinger gets married? someone has to help lift it on the centre stand :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Brojees wrote:
It is a learned technique.

1. Stand alongside your bike on the left side while it rests on the sidestand.

2. Bring it upright with your right hip aligned with the top of the shock and close into the bike.

3. Grasp the rear grab handle.

4. Flex your knees slightly and lean slightly forward.

5. Catch thecenter stand and lower it with your right instep.

6. Holding thecenter standagainst the ground with your right instep, lift the bike by straightening up and leaning back at the same time. It will rotate up onto the stand.
Hey Brojees :waving: Ditto. :clapper:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Hi there all, i'm a first timmer on here, I just bought my first Gold Wing a 1986 1200GL Aspecade. Thanks for the tips on using the cente stand. I tied to use the centre stand last week when I first got the bike but chickened out after twopoor attempts. Tried again 2day with success.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Good show!! It becomes easier with time.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Yes, I am also a good size person and when I first tried to put my 83 on the centerstand, things didn't go the way I planned. But, when I learned how to use some pivot and balance, things went well. Step down on the centerstand as you pull back and up and you'll be fine.

Never ever let the bike start leaning on you very hard. You can quickly lose your balance.

Hobie

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.