Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently got my bike back from the shop after getting it tuned up, and I am no longer able to shift gears. I was getting ready to take a drive up to to the Mirror lake highway in Utah, and I got stuck in second gear, and had to leave the bike at the babysitters house. When I pull the clutch in it doesn't allow me to shift up or down, I tried to shift hard by kicking the shifter down, or gently pressing it down, but I've determined that the clutch isn't even working. When I try to start the bike it wants to lunge forward even when the clutch is pulled in. I took some pictures underneath and there is a tube of some sort that looks to be severed and just dangling, (see picture) Any ideas on what might have caused this? could it be a simple fix or new parts? Any info would be helpful Jon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Hello Metal99. I think that the tube in the picture is just a drain tube for fuel or battery overflow, so I wouldn't focus on that. Someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon in regard to the clutch. Hopefully it's just cable adjustment that's needed.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

Well, I was just looking on the left side of the tire. Now I see what's dangling on the right side. I'm not sure what that is...

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

There are various drain hoses that just dangle under the bike, as CRG said, the fuel over flow and Battery are two of them, radiator overflow tank etc..

I would think bleeding the clutch would be your first step, but Im new to wings, Im sure someone will be along soon to help you.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If it tries to move forward even with the clutch all the way in, then the clutch is not disengaging all the way. Do not try to force it to shift, you could bend/break something in the transmission. If you just had it in the shop, I would take it back to the shop and explain it to them, IF it was a decent shop. If it is stuck in gear,, get another person to rock the bike back and forth while you try to get it into neutral by hand. If taking it back to the shop is not an option, try bleeding it. A Speedbleeder definitely make this job 10 times easier. I have 4 of them on my bike. I think all vehicles with hydraulic brakes and/or clutches should come with them.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Bleed the clutch after cleaning out the old junky fluid in the reservoir(siphon out old brake fluid then clean out w/clean rag).

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

From the pic that hose appears to be hanging too low to be a drain tube-I am wondering if it is the actual hose for the clutch slave cylinder that has severed and ishanging down which would further explain your problem. Open the clutch master and see if the fluid is gone.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Open the clutch master and see if the fluid is gone
+1, I have one of them hanging down in the same spot (actually two), and they hang just as low, so I'm not sure that would be a clutch line, but it doesn't really matter, sounds to me like the fluid went somewhere. Check the level and bleed bleed bleed.

I would HIGHLY recomend a hand vacuum pump, you'd be amazed at the vulgarity you'll use otherwise.

I'd also be cautious taking it back to the shop, most shops who make those kind of mistakes will almost never make it right, but they'll be more than happy to keep it for a week before letting you know it was unrelated to the work they did and you'll only have to pay $400 for it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Does the clutch lever still feel the same or is it very easy to pull.
If the later I would suspect that the line in your picture is a severed hydraulic line.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Even if the clutch is engaged you should still be able to get to shift when the bike is off and up on the center stand.

Does the shifter not move at all, or does it move and nothing happens?

When it stuck in second, were you riding or were you parked and it went into gear but would not come back out?

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Guys-I am about 99 percent sure he has a ruptured hose to the slave. Or at least 99 percent sure thatsingle hose doesnt belong there.Here's 2 pics of the undercarriage of MY sei just taken. No such hose hangs down on the left like that. Further look at most drain hoses, like the one in the pic most are tethered and aim straight and true at the ground not swinging in the breeze like the one in the pic...see below...

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

With both pics available like that, his hose should not be there, and is the proper length to go to the clutch slave cylinder.

with that diagonal slice on it, it would seem to me to have been mechanic induced.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Here's a pic of the bottom of my LTD, if you grab those lines and tug on 'em you can see them moving up near the battery box through the gap under the battery cover. I'm sure they're supposed to be clamped on somewhere, but hey, a lot can happen in 26 years.

EDIT:

If you look at his pic, there are two hoses in the clamp on the other side, medium and large, the one hanging is small, look at the picture of the way it should be, the small and large hoses are clearly visible and if you look real close you can see the medium hose between them, look at my pic, only the large hose in the clamp, the other two hangin'... I'm pretty dern sure that ain't a clutch line.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Well I think the the LTD is slightly diferent than the SEIBUT heres an update-just checked in the pic the loose line the left may have just slipped out of the clamp with the other 2 lines on the bikes right side so I NOW agree may have nothing to do with clutch. Clutch line is actually metal and rubber hose is clearly visible as it wraps around driveshaft boot and comes at the slave from the bikes right side not from the left. So much for that 1%:)
Anyway hopefully he will check the fluid level and advise. As for the loose hose on the left I believe it belongs in the group of two hoses on the right and the diagonal cut is intentional. I'll try not changing my story again.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Guys-I am about 99 percent sure he has a ruptured hose to the slave. Or at least 99 percent sure thatsingle hose doesnt belong there.Here's 2 pics of the undercarriage of MY sei just taken. No such hose hangs down on the left like that. Further look at most drain hoses, like the one in the pic most are tethered and aim straight and true at the ground not swinging in the breeze like the one in the pic...see below...
As I said I agree and an hydraulic won't break off like that without assistance but getting the shop to admit blame is probably impossible.

BTW: Is that a Dunlop E3 in your picture? If so I believe it's mounted bass akwards.:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I had it mounted and picked it up from a shop in Westmont IL. pre-Canada trip, never noticed then drove about 3000 miles on it! WTF! A pic really is worth a thousand words! Gonna have a word with Mark-I am suprised he has lot's of experience with wings! Good thing the front is on straight! Not sure how one got straight and the other didn't but this is my 1st pair of E3's!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
wingsam41 wrote:
As I said I agree and an hydraulic won't break off like that without assistance but getting the shop to admit blame is probably impossible.

BTW: Is that a Dunlop E3 in your picture? If so I believe it's mounted bass akwards.:shock:
OK Ken did some checking-the hash marks on the E3's go in different directions front vs. back.

My tire is installed correctly-just had to look at the rotation arrow on the side (matches front)to know that. But you sure had me going!:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

that hose is not a hydraulic line. so definitely its not the clutch line..

questions..

can you shift to neutral with the engine off?. please notice that while the engine is off there is no need to pull the clutch it makes no difference.

while you push or pull the lever, with the engine off roll the bike back and forth, see if you can get the bike on neutral.

how does the clutch lever feels?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Tune up means to most mech's that you change the oil, filter, air filter (or clean),plugs. Really depends on what you asked for when you took it in.

A full sevce to me would be to do all the above and flush the brake and clutch fliuds.

Alsocheck and adjust valves and carb cync.

But we really don't know what has been done from your first post.

If your mech did not flush the clutch master then it could have just gotten low enough to get air in the line.Check it and re- bleed the master. Sounds like a 10 min fix to me.........simple things first before juming off the deep end.

BTW: tire is mounted correctly!

Supprising how some folks after asking a question seem to want to go the long way around things.

Remove the Master cyln. cap and see if it is empty. If it is fill it. Try pumping it a few times and see if you get any presure. You might have to bleed it at banjo nut at the Master cyln.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i say check the master cylinder for the clutch, if its low then fill it and pump it a few times to see where the fluid is going, could be coincidense or mechanic error

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.