Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for some input from you guys.

After 2000 RPM's it runs fine all the way to the red line. I can also hear it miss-fire at idle every 5 to 10 seconds but not constantly. Filled the tank and added a can of sea foam but no differance after a couple of days riding. Thanks in advance you guys.

·
Administrator
24,395 Posts
imported post

Ignition missfire probably, from a cracked coil, bad wire, plug cap or plug.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Started a few weeks ago. I pulled the side plastic off and changed the plugs and cam belts. No differance. Old plugs still looked very good, all of them where light tan colored. I am starting to wonder if it is a coil or spark plug wire issue???

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Do the 88 GL1500's have replacable coil wires or are they made into the coils??

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Found a set of coils and wires on ebay. I have them coming and will let you all know if that was it or not. Thanks:waiting:

·
Honda Guru
2,009 Posts
imported post

You've already bought the coils but to answer your question…. yes the coil wires are replaceable. Be careful with the plastic 'nuts' that secure them to the coils. They aren't very strong and with age they are easy to crack. Use some lube on both the wires and nuts to make it easier.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have it all apart now. What a pain to get to!!!

Looks like it might have been self inflicted. I found the rubber gromet to the overflow tank cracked and antifreeze ran down and over the coils & wires. I am hoping to get it back together tonight and see if this fixes the issue.

I will post some pics of the fix that I am going to do for the over flow line. I am going to use a copper line and go away from the plastic 90.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I know that I will never have to worry about this grommet again.

I used a 3/8 toilet water feed line. I had to drill the grommet out with a 11/32 drill bit and it was still very tight getting the copper line in.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Antifreeze destroys spark leads.

You need to replace them, or at a minimum spray them with a anti spark stuff.
I installed another set of coils and spark plug wire that I got on ebay. Thanks

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I got it all back together today. Took it for a short spin and it seems to be fixed. A few of my buddy's are going for a ride tomorrow so that will be the true test.

Isaw that one of the old wires was sitting up against a bolt for the intake manifold but not really sure that was the issue. I could see a good slime of antifreeze on the top of one of the coils up where the spade connectors plug into the coil.I think that was the issue.

Good thing is that I will get to go riding with my friends tomorrow!!!:action:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.