Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok a little history first. This bike was wrecked at 50 thousand. I bought it, replaced the swing arm and of course lots of plastic and other expensive goodies. ( the orginal swing arm did not look bent.. but near new ones are dirt cheap when your buddy has a trike. )

I have now 111 thousand on it.. with no trouble at all. However on this tire change at around 13 thousand miles, I notice the rear tire is worn down much more on the left side. It looks like.. Maybe 10% of tread dept remaining on the left and 30% on the right.

I have not noticed this on other tires changes.. but it might have been there.

Bikes drives just fine.. (well its never been a hands off bike) and yes I pull a trailer and always double.

My thoughts are 13,000 is all I expect to get from a rear anyway so ignore it.
But I would like to hear your thoughts.

dm

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

You can either ride harder, pressing the bike into corners, especially right handers to scrub it off better or ride on the other side of the road so as to use the left side of the road hump to wear down the right side of the tire. Most roads in the USA have a "hump" in them enough to promote run off. If you so a lot of stright line you'll have a bit more wear on the left side.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

That wear is from the camber on the road, in Ireland and the UK we get wear on the other side ,because we ride on the other side of the road ,andit is perfectly normal this type of wear ,All roads have a camber on them to allow water to run off ,,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
imported post

Riding 2 up, pulling a trailer all the time...I'd say you got your money's worth out of that tire if you got 13,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Agree with all the above.

Regarding the road crown here is my .02 worth.

On black top or macadam I ride just to the left of the center hump thinking that might just be the levelest section of road. Regarding safety I ride the same road section accept for large semis on two track roads due to air blasts. The current tires have 18,000 on the set of Stones that came with the 07 1800. There is wear to the left but very acceptable on both.

The front will shake while doing the "Honda Shake" dance with no hands but even that is acceptable as I usually ride with hands.

The rear still has the plug in it from about 10,000 miles and a report will follow come tire change out.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

wingryder, since it appears you do a lot of straight lining and are looking to gain a bit more wear from the tire, you could have it remounted backwards

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thankyou all and no I think I will pass on the reverse mounting suggestion. It's just when your riding a bike that has been down hard.. you just assume something must be wrong.
But more than 60,000 since the wreck, so can't be anything that is going to bite you in the butt.

Doing all fluids, all brakes, all tires, (there are two) and I might even wash and wax it when I am done. NO hurry 8 inches of snow this morning.

thanks everyone
wingryder

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

left side tire wear comes from left turns as you are in the turn longer than a right turn.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.