Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking my tire today, noticed that 3/4 of the tire has most of the tread worn off, the other 1/4 has not worn as much.

Only took 11,000 miles to wear out this tire.

The Wintersport has been discontinued; so going to try the Goodyear Assurance for my next tire.

Dealer had balanced the Wintersport, didn't feel like it was out of balance

Will see how the new tire works out.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
I have a bit over 8000 miles on my wintersport with no abnormal wear seen at this point .I keep the air pressure 43-45 range. I love this tire , and didnt like seeing discontinued .

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is the good side, still have lots of tread left, not to the wear bars

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is the side that is worn down well past the wear bars

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
WOW , thats quite a difference . I'll be sure to have an eye onmine as the miles add up .
wonder if this has anything to do with the tire being discontinued ?
Your tire looks as though it would be, or must have been out of round ? Is is possible that the bead never seated correctly on oe side ? I know mine was installed in the winter months on a cold day . It was hard to mount and set the bead the first time .

On issue of balance , I use beads .

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On issue of balance , I use beads .[/QUOTE]

How much of the beads you put in yours??
what pressure you running your
wintersport?? I was keeping mine about 40 to 41

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Being that it is a dunlop I would suspect that it has separated belts.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
mechtech , I am not using Dyna-beads . I have another brand of glass beads used/marketed for commercial truck tires . I believe I used a 4oz package . I try to maintain 42-45 psi . I use a Doran TPMS and I know the pressure will go up about 4-5lbs with us riding two up . I try to stay at the 42psi morning cold pressure mostly in the summer months .

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
mechtech , I am not using Dyna-beads . I have another brand of glass beads used/marketed for commercial truck tires . I believe I used a 4oz package . I try to maintain 42-45 psi . I use a Doran TPMS and I know the pressure will go up about 4-5lbs with us riding two up . I try to stay at the 42psi morning cold pressure mostly in the summer months .
I have the same tire and I run 44 with beads and the thing is wearing like a champ. Two years now.. over 10K...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Is the wear on the right or left side? If it's on the left side it's not unusual since motorcycle tires wear more on the left side than the right in countries that drive on the right side of the road.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the wear on the right or left side? If it's on the left side it's not unusual since motorcycle tires wear more on the left side than the right in countries that drive on the right side of the road.
The good tread is only 1/4 to 1/3 of the way around
the wear is not left to right

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Checking my tire today, noticed that 3/4 of the tire has most of the tread worn off, the other 1/4 has not worn as much.

Only took 11,000 miles to wear out this tire.

The Wintersport has been discontinued; so going to try the Goodyear Assurance for my next tire.

Dealer had balanced the Wintersport, didn't feel like it was out of balance

Will see how the new tire works out.

My 2 Wintersports wore nice and even, up to 20k miles when the edges wore out.

I just mounted the 3rd one... which I believe was THE last one available in the states... so then, PLEASE at some point post a review of you pending Goodyear Assurance Tire, as that will likely be my next one tried.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Usually wear like that is caused either by balance problems or something wrong with the suspension, allowing the tire to "bounce" up and down, putting more load on the down side than the up side. You can usually feel it, but not always.

The only unusual wear I have ever noticed on a motorcycle tire was on my Vulcan 750 oem front Bridgestone. I had just gotten back from a several hundred mile trip, and noticed fairly serious cupping on the tire. It had about 15,000 miles on it. I checked the pressure, and it was around 20 psi. I always keep the pressures at the max pressure shown on the sidewall. I could not find any leaks, so I must have somehow forgot to check it or read the gauge wrong.

Oddball tire wear is almost always caused by something other than a problem with the tire itself.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
My 2 Wintersports wore nice and even, up to 20k miles when the edges wore out.

I just mounted the 3rd one... which I believe was THE last one available in the states... so then, PLEASE at some point post a review of you pending Goodyear Assurance Tire, as that will likely be my next one tried.
I am in your camp Alex... I have a fading Wintersport and at my annual mileages, I will be looking for a viable replacement by fall.

Can I beesech a fellow member to post specs and images of the tread pattern of the Goodyear Assurance...

Please.

T

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Goodyear Fuel Max Assurance Mounted

I had stopped by the local Goodyear dealer last week to order up my new tire. The owner of the shop was unsure of the size when I told him what I wanted. But when he pulled it up on the computer, he commented it was in the system and would be there in a week. I went back this morning to get it mounted. Had a few strange looks as I dragged in the wheel. The owner even asked what it went to???

The tech says it mounted right up on the rim at 80 psi.

Tire, mounting, tax, 192.80
the Honda dealer down the street got $30 last time just to mount the Dunlop wintersport. I think you can get this goodyear online; but wouldn't of saved me anything. This tire shop will get my business next time for sure.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
Looks like tread separation issues.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE: Had my first time on the Assurance tire today; did about 50 miles at 40 psi, everything was good until I pushed it up to 75 mph, then the back end started oscillating back and forth. Got my attention fast.
stopped and reduced the pressure to 36 psi, rode home. was able to push it to 80 and then I sensed an oscillation, but seemed to be coming from the front???
I also did some other things when I had the bike apart.
Rebuilt the rear brake caliper
replaced the rear shocks with progressive air shocks
Did the cruise over 75 Mod, and at least got to confirm that it works as advertised
I will play with the tire pressure later this week, will also jack up the front and make sure I don't have any play up there.
It could be that I need to break this tire in a little. So will ride a couple hundred miles and see what happens. The tread pattern is pretty aggressive with those cuts and may be why it wants to float.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I'd sure want to check out that tire very well if you didn't have the squirrellys before you put it on. The risk with that kind of oscillation is that if it occurs at a natural resonant point of the bike it can develop into a tank slapper real fast. Not to mention that oscillations on a wet road could become more fun than you want to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
UPDATE: Had my first time on the Assurance tire today; did about 50 miles at 40 psi, everything was good until I pushed it up to 75 mph, then the back end started oscillating back and forth. Got my attention fast.
stopped and reduced the pressure to 36 psi, rode home. was able to push it to 80 and then I sensed an oscillation, but seemed to be coming from the front???
I also did some other things when I had the bike apart.
Rebuilt the rear brake caliper
replaced the rear shocks with progressive air shocks
Did the cruise over 75 Mod, and at least got to confirm that it works as advertised
I will play with the tire pressure later this week, will also jack up the front and make sure I don't have any play up there.
It could be that I need to break this tire in a little. So will ride a couple hundred miles and see what happens. The tread pattern is pretty aggressive with those cuts and may be why it wants to float.
I run the same tire and had the same effects when new. It does seem to settle down, after a few hundred miles. I have 10K miles on it more and it is better. Still don't like the way it feels above75mph. I also run about 55# air in the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I had the same type of wear occur on a shinko tire I had on my 1200. It felt smooth to ride even at higher speeds (85+ mph). Just wore out on one side more than the other, don't know why, you would think if its out of round you would feel that through the bike, but mine was smooth as glass.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.