Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up tonight, on Unsolved Mysteries: A Tallahassee man buys two Honda Goldwings to restore. Although the bikes are both over 30 years old, have over 100,000 miles between them, and were purchased from different people, on different days, over 300 miles apart, the sole contents of the left rear storage compartment on both bikes is the same loose bolt. Is this an attempt at contact by some alien civilization?

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
You should probably call in Mulder and Scully.

On the plus side...as you're working on them maybe that thing will happen where time gets all hinkey, and you'll have them all restored before you even started!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Nice buy!! but I gotta tell ya......

I hope all that yellow.... Green stuff comes off that one bike and can go back to the original red.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice buy!! but I gotta tell ya......

I hope all that yellow.... Green stuff comes off that one bike and can go back to the original red.
One way or another, I will not be riding that bike in the color that it is. I'm hoping the fairing and panels from the other will fit it.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
sweet baby jesus....WHO would paint over the factory red with..what is that, hotwheels yellow tonka??

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
One advantage to the yellow is that cagers would have a hard time saying "I didn't see him.":ROFL:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One advantage to the yellow is that cagers would have a hard time saying "I didn't see him.":ROFL:
Slightly more difficult time. They'll still say it though. I always see those bumper stickers that say "Look Twice for Motorcycle" and think to myself, "I'd be happy if they'd at least look once."

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts
Those are valve cover bolts, why anyone would carry a spare let alone 2 different people is a mystery.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If it were a rocker cover bolt it would show.:?
If it was one of the inner/centre timing belt cover bolts you would have to look closely to see.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Not too strange, a lot of people are ham handed and snap those bolts off. Maybe the POs needed spares.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Maybe the P.O. of the P.O's., of both bikes, were the same person?
:?
:claps::claps::bow:WE HAVE A WINNER!!:bow::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Slightly more difficult time. They'll still say it though. I always see those bumper stickers that say "Look Twice for Motorcycle" and think to myself, "I'd be happy if they'd at least look once."

Yep.

And what is really bad is when that sticker is on the rear of the car that just pulled out in front of you!! :lash:

Nice projects! Good luck.
Yep, mighty odd both bikes had that same bolt in the same place!

Now look and see if both bikes are MISSING that bolt from the same hole where it belongs!

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
I seriously doubt that anyone would forget to reinstall a valve cover bolt….
but they might not reinstall the inner bolt for a cam belt cover. You know the one that's really hard to get to?

That's my story….

·
Administrator
27,886 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They seem a little short for valve cover bolts. Look more like timing cover bolts to me.
This bolt was missing on both bikes:

Why that bolt? Why store it in the left rear compartment?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.