Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Windows guru's, I need your help.

I started my PC this morning & got a BSoD. It ran all night doing backups & I shut it down this morning but would not boot back up.

Here is the BSoD message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical information(if this means anything to anyone):

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x87421000, 0x00000000, 0xF7C04958, 0x00000000)

Computer is Samsung Q1, 900Mhz, 1GB mem, with Win XP Tablet Edition OS.

In safe mode, I disabled everything in the startup & registry RUN folders. I deleted autoexec.bat and config.sys (both were already at 0kb) and still no dice.

Thanks in adance,

-Joe-

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I was afraid you'd say that.

I also noticed that io.sys and msdos.sys are at 0kb, also. The stupid thing is making me mad.

A week ago, I got a hair-brained idea to create a new profile & copy the profile settings from (default) Administrator to the new profile. Instead of copying, Windows decided to delete the Administrator profile, without copying anything.

Grrrrrrrr!

Now it looks like the backup last night might have done the same thing. I just checked my backup & those SYS files are at 0kb with today's date, too.

double-Grrrrrrr!

It might be time to reformat and start over......

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

If you format the drive you will lose everything on it!!!! I would try and repair or at least get the files you want saved eg your digital pictures saved first

you can install minimum files and drivers thru dos and work from there if you have to

good notice to all to BACK UP important files to another medium!!!!

I have another computer on my network that i just use as a back up for my pics and music

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If all that doesn't work and you need to save things you have on the drive before blasting and reloading the OS, let me know before you do anything destructive.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
If all that doesn't work and you need to save things you have on the drive before blasting and reloading the OS, let me know before you do anything destructive.
Actually, I wouldn't do ANYTHING beyond the chkdisk /r or the windows repair before I ran SpinRite on it.

Obviously, you have access to another computer. Do they both have floppy drives?

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You can't see it, but right now I'm smacking my forehead with the palm of my hand. Why didn't I think to ask computer questions on a goldwing forum last week when my laptop started acting up??

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

Spinrite is a wonder thing that Steve Gibson wrote and then gave it away.

It is on my short list of must have utilities.

Another must have is BootIt NG

That partition manager can repair a lot of damage after Windows has totally screwed it all up and it won't come up anymore.

Another thing I do..........my DATA drive is always a 2nd drive, not on the bootup/O.S. drive. That way when things go bonkers, who cares if you reformat? All of your data is alive an well on the 2nd drive.

Another hint. On the Desktop, right click on My Documents folder and choose properties. Change the path name, it will allow you to make a new folder while you are at it. Now, when you save something to My Documents, it will go into that new folder which should be on a 2nd drive.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I thought about changing the "My Documents" path, too, but after the copy profile fiasco, I didn't want any data folder associated with any particular user. For this reason, I created a new "My Docs" folder and left "My Documents" empty.

The 2nd hard drive for data thing is something I've been doing for years. I use a third, network hard drive to back up all those 2nd drives. On this particular PC, I try to back up the entire hard drive to my network drive on a regular basis. Much of my important data is on a 4gb U3 USB stick that I back up frequently as well.

This PC has but one internal hard drive and no CD or DVD drives and no floppy drives. I'd have to use an external USB drive for those. Whenever I've had to install a new program on it, I do it from a shared CDROM drive in another PC. I suppose I'll have to rig up a USB CD Drive to do the repairs, if I can get the USB drive to work at boot.

Here's the Samsung Q1:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i ghost to my network drive once a week, if the C drive plays up then it is just a matter of ghosting back and 10 mins later i am off again.:D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

taffy australia wrote:
i ghost to my network drive once a week, if the C drive plays up then it is just a matter of ghosting back and 10 mins later i am off again.:D
I use G4U for that but same idea.

The title of this thread would be more appropriate if it were changed to:

"Up the creek WITH windows" if you ask me.

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

I also Ghost backup my drives but not on a weekly basis. would be better if I did, but since I keep the data on a 2nd drive, it hasn't been so important. The applications don't change all that often anyway for me.

I've got backups I made 15 years ago of machines that have long ago went to the salvage yard. Keep them around because "there might be a file in there I need".

Anyone else got that fever?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

All you need to do is toss the backup to see what it was you needed. :goofygrin:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I've got backups I made 15 years ago of machines that have long ago went to the salvage yard.
Do you still have a 5.25" floppy drive to read those backups?:baffled::cooldevil:

John

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I do but I doubt the disks are any good anymore.

·
Administrator
57,972 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
I've got backups I made 15 years ago of machines that have long ago went to the salvage yard.
Do you still have a 5.25" floppy drive to read those backups?:baffled::cooldevil:

John
I transfered all that stuff over to hard drives a long time ago. I've got a stack of old hard drives laying back in the corner. Cataloged them last winter just for grins. Thought to myself then that I should just pitch the lot into the dumpster. One of the hard drives is a whopping big 5 megabytes!!!

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I transfered all that stuff over to hard drives a long time ago. I've got a stack of old hard drives laying back in the corner. Cataloged them last winter just for grins. Thought to myself then that I should just pitch the lot into the dumpster. One of the hard drives is a whopping big 5 megabytes!!!
I figured you had transfered the data to something a little more modern, I was just kidding you.:) However, if you have a 5MB hard drive, you must still have some old hardware around to hook it up to. ;)

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.