Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here want to own a recently decommission Dell E6320 Laptop, it has 8RAM a 2.60 GHz Core i5 processor and other stuff for it. If you want to try Linux in any flavor without disrupting your current computer this is the way to go. I'm clearing out a lot of unused stuff. I also included a 250GB HDD and a USB stick with Linux Mint 18.3Xfce to get you started.
If interested send a PM. All you pay for is shipping.

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE
The Linux Mint 18.3Xfce has been replaced with a DVD of Linux Lite another user friendly OS.
But you still get everything else. Once you install the LL you can go to the Linux Mint site and download any version you wish 18.3 or higher on a usb stick.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The laptop is on it's way to a new owner to give Linux a try without disrupting their present computer.
Thank you to those who were interested.
Bike and Dennis will be getting a box.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The box got delivered at 9:24am to the front door/porch. Now the fun begins when you can open it and start the fun. Make sure you get all the parts out of the box.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
that reminds me, my sister's Dell laptop is supposed to be delivered today also.
need to call her.

she got it..... she says there is going to be a battle between her and Greg, as to who gets to use it :rofl:

it has a full 10 key number pad, a 15 inch screen, SSD, and 8 gB RAM.
it is over 10 years old, but it zips right along.

oh, it also has the OLED display screen so reflections are not as bothersome.

it is locked with Win7 Home Premium.... bye bye updates MSloth.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's when you wish you had spares, so everyone can work with Linux. I presented Dennis with Linux Lite its beginner friendly, if he doesn't like it I can send him a disk of Peppermint9 another easy to use OS. I went from 18.3Xfce to Cinnamon, I got my feet wet with the easy version.
On mine Windows7 resides on its own drive, Peppermint9 has one as does Linux Mint19.1. I can run from any of 3 OS's at restart.
I am now down to 3 laptops and I'll not be buying any more. I have a Dell disk for Windows 8.1. 7 rarely sees the internet and it runs the printer.

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts
That's when you wish you had spares, so everyone can work with Linux. I presented Dennis with Linux Lite its beginner friendly, if he doesn't like it I can send him a disk of Peppermint9 another easy to use OS. I went from 18.3Xfce to Cinnamon, I got my feet wet with the easy version.
On mine Windows7 resides on its own drive, Peppermint9 has one as does Linux Mint19.1. I can run from any of 3 OS's at restart.
I am now down to 3 laptops and I'll not be buying any more. I have a Dell disk for Windows 8.1. 7 rarely sees the internet and it runs the printer.
My sister already has the first Dell that I installed Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on about 2 years ago.

they use it as a backup/spare in their Motor Coach. Greg gets along with it just fine, all he does is click on Firefox and surf the fishing forums.

So, they already have one laptop with Linux.... it is stone cold reliable from what they say.

I chickened out with letting it update, as they will use it so seldom, and only with Firefox, that I felt it was not worth taking a chance that an update would crash it.

Since then, I have changed my opinion on that. This laptop that I am using as a Daily Driver, is using a CronTab job to install all updates everyday, as they come available. the job creates a log so I can review it to see what happened, if I so choose. but, it has been so long since I did that, I can't even remember when I last looked.

Mint 18.3 just keeps cranking on, everyday, doing what it should.

Timeshift creates a Daily OS backup, keeps 5 copies..
so IF, something went awry, I can just backup 1 day, and restore it like it was.

Only needed to do that once....... and it was my fault....
installed new software, and oops! it crashed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts