Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, troubleshooting guru's, help me out here.... I have an intermittent thing that is happening on my 84 1200i. Here is the rundown.

Once in a while when I start the bike I have a large Puff of smoke that smells like exhaust come from under the front of the engine, and then it is no more. The bike does not appear to have a general exhaust leak as thereis not an exhaustsmell after riding any other time, or all the time. It does nothappen all the time, or every time. And there appear tobeevents that lead to ithappening.

I don'tknow that any of thefollowinghaveanything to to withit, but these events seem to be too coincendential....

1.5weeks ago I changed the oil andoil filter onthebike after running it about 100mileswith 1cup of sea foam in the oil.Theredoes not appear to be any leak from around the oil filter fitting.

Each time it has happendI have been parked on a uphill grade.*

Each time it has happened I have pulled onto that uphill grade and had the bike at an idle for a period of time before turning it off.*

** Subsequent toit occuring the next couple of starts on flat ground there might be asmallpuff but nothing like theoriginal and then it stops.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have on this.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you have a small exhaust leak by the headers. Are the header nuts tight? Any gaps are likely to close slightly as everything warms up. The back pressure in the exhaust is also highest at startup as the air/exhaust in the pipe(s) has to be pushed out. Once the exhaust gasses are flowing they "pull" the next pulse out.

My thoughts on it anyway....

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Well, i also believe it is an exhaust leak, have someone start the bike while you look closely wearing safety glasses of course. you need to know exactly where it is coming from.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

I had that happen once on my 84 Aspy when I first got it, but, I have since put on new header gaskets so haven't seen it again. I can say that putting the new gaskets on was a royal pita. You need to be a pretty good contortionist, or have someone handy to help you.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I think it's a combo ofdifferent things. First of all, if you had an exhaust leak, you wouldn't necessarily see anything if it's just pure exhaust. When you mention"it smells likeexhaust" do you mean a gassysmell like an over rich mixture.What color isit? You didn't accidentally put too much oil in, did you? It doesn't take much to make it smoke oncein a while.

Also, are you turning off the fuel petcock?(does an 1200 even have one?:?) You might have a sticky float that is trickling a bit of fuel into the cylinder.

I'm curious about how this will play out.

Regards and good luck to you.:waving:

Hobie

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the advice. I will follow up....

I'm hoping it is not the head gasket. Don't think I over filled it, followed the specs per Clymer book, but if I didn't get everything drained it could be slightly over filled. Haven't noticed it burning any oil thorugh the exhaust pipes.

I don't turn off the fuel at the petcock (yes I believe it has one, and I too wansn't sure why since it doesn't have a reserve).

See that is why I love this site, becuase I know I can trust the advise I get on here. I know how many boxes Tim's bike came home in, and how well it runs now. Thanks.

BTW...(and not to hijack my own thread) not sure if I will make it to ES this weekend, if I do it will just be a day trip. Are you going?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.