Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Brakes are finnaly done thansk to RAYANDTRACY for sending me a MASTERCYl for teh price of shipping.

My trans was slipping when going from 2800 to WOT. The engine would rev high then slow down as the trans was catching. I guess the gas that found its way into the crankcase must have cleaned teh carbon on all the cranckase parts. I have flushed it and now am running Rottella T. No probs with the slipping although the first start of the day is a PITA.

This is what i get. " crank crank crank pop sputter(i let go of the starter button and she dies)

Crank crank crank pop it runs for 2 secs up to about 700 rpm and quits.

this goes on about 6 or 8 times before she finnaly starts and runs at low idle 700 and it raises as the engine temp raises.

This is done with the choke on with ambient temps ranging form 28 to 40 farenheit.

If I take off while still warming and not fully up to op temp she will die on me on the road when shifting or comming to a stop. The RPMS still at about 700 to 900.

Once she warms up the choke goes back in and she idles at 1180 to 1250 rpm. i havnt lowered the idle because I am affradi she wont start right.

Am i using to heavy of an oil for these temps.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Hey, sounds like to me your idle mixture settings on the carbs need to be richened up.Or your jets are partially blocked. My wife's sporter will not idle or run worth beans when its cold.runs fine hot, comes from the factory like that, but a bigger jet cure that. As far as th oil goes,I posted a few months ago wondering the same thing but I only have problems when it's below 20f with sluggish starts.,,

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you checked and made sure the chokes are working ? are the shafts turning when you applie choke ? watch between the carbs . a shaft should turn as you applie choke . just a bit of --dont ask---

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The 1200 carbs each have a lever that pulls a pin. Same concept only different linkages. They are all moving. I will wait for warm weather and lots more miles and see if the miles with seafoam will cure any of this.

Besides this once started she runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

28 to 40 degrees?????:shock:

What in the world are you cranking a motorcycle up when its 28 to 40 degrees outside? If i was a motorcycle, i would not want to crank either......:cheeky1:

Heck, if its 60 here, it is too cold to ride.

Beides, it was 83 degrees here today, but it rained for like 20 minutes, so no riding today.

What do you call a guy like me? A fair weather rider???:D

Nah, I'm a PERFECT weather rider.....;)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
have you checked and made sure the chokes are working ? are the shafts turning when you applie choke ? watch between the carbs . a shaft should turn as you applie choke . just a bit of --dont ask---
I noticed the chokes on my 1100 were sticking. The butterflies are not actually directly connected to the cable. There is a spring under the two caps at the rear of the butterfly shafts. Some lube and a little help from some pliers freed the shafts up. You need to check both sides.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

today at 50 I pulled the choke cracked the throttle a bit and away she started.
I think my bike is a fair weather rider.
i will recheck the start in the am should be in the upper 30s.
Wanna she the difference again and make sure it wasnt coincidence that she cleared up as t he weather got better

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I just had a prob and think I have narrowed it down to the electric fuel pump.
My bike quit a few times today and once parked and let sit for 3 hours she wouldnt start back up. Flow test showed no flow at all.
Trying a another fuel pump .

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
imported post

:action: Here in southern MN, I will gladly start up my '81 GL1100 above 32 degrees

As long as it does'nt look like rain, not gusting above 25 mph...

Anything above 32 degrees IS fair weather here... I would rather ride at 40 degrees than 80 degrees, but that may just be me... :cooldevil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.