Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is the update I promised you on my 83 Asoencade;
Well, I checked the valves, and they are ok. Gonna adjust the left side this evening, I drained the oil last night, and watched the coolant after I got the cooling system back together (I dedicated a whole day to the cooling system) The engine turned over much easier after I reset my timing from between F1 starting at T1, and thats when it actually was easier to turn with a wrench.
As I worked on the cooling system yesterday, I had to change out the left side of the washer in my water pump crossover tube. I had a small leak, and found out when I out the pipe back on, it cut the washer. Glad I had another. After I done that, The coolant stayed at a constant level in the radiator. I did waste a little (About a Qt) due to the leak, and I have to go to to pick up enough to fill the coolant tank.
As I was doing this, the last thing I done was drained the oil late last nite, and it did not look all that bad, and I was very surprised it wasnt brown but much blacker, and it had some good viscosity to it. After I get a my left valves set, and put a new filter and oil in today, I am going to start it for the first time since I broke her down.
I did not make this a 3 day job. More like 3 weeks, a little a day. I took a lot of time with it, and tlc, so I could make sure I got her correct. So far, I am pleased to see how it has come together. I had some bugs, which I got out. Going slower and doing a job correctly is much better than running through it fast and overlookig something. After this, I will put all the covers and seat bck on, and she should be ready for a test ride.
Thanks For al the help everyone.
Sincerely,
David

P.S I did have a lot of frustration like the head bolt breaking about 1/3 of an inch inside the head, but I come in and rested, got my cordless drill, and drilled a hole in the center of a bolt, and I broke off the handle of a small screwdriver and tapped it in the hole I drilled, and It come out easily without any damage to the head. I double checked all my torques in the head and camshaft. All looked good. The leak on the coolant pipe, (I had to pull the 2 left side intakes again and re-add a gasket to my water pipe.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

:cool::cool:thats the ONLY WAY to do it. :):)

·
Premium Member
12,803 Posts
imported post

No problem at all with slow an easy . Often times the totoise comes in ahead of the hare .

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well,
I finally got to take her out for a test ride today. Done much better than I expected. I have to reset the valves, because the only 2 that were in my Honda Tool Kit ws not the ones that went to the exause, but I was able to get the intakes done. Now, I got to adjust the right side, and torque the carbs. Runs so much better than before.It's amazing. Now, I have to get the nit picky things done, and I will be ready to hit the road right!
Wada A83wing,
Is that a poorboy alternator on the side of your bike? I was just wondering.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

nope--no poor boy. its a stock bike . except for a few add ons.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Just a comment on breaking bolts. When a bike is as old as some of ours, there is always a strong possibility of a previous ham handed owner over torqueing and weakening the bolt so that when you attempt to torque to specs the weakened bolt just snaps. I have seen examples of this when rebuilding my bike. I removed a bolt from the right front caliper and it was almost a 1/16 inch thinner in the center from someone really laying on it. The left caliper bolt snapped as I was removing it so I'm pretty sure the PO was a strong guy w/o a torque wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.