Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the exhaust and front end wobble checked by a dealer. The exhaust gasket was replaced along with the clamp down by the centerstand. A new clamp was installed similiar to a automotive style clamp, only smaller and the steering head bearings were tightned. The bike rides better now, feels more solid on bumps and road imperfections.:) I'll still have it checked when it goes back to my dealer for the 4000 mile checkup, which won't be to long:D.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't be 100% happy with a car clamp on the exhaust, but you can always get the dealer to get a Honda one and have it on standby for later on.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

They probably used the car type clamp because its 2 piece and you don't need to split the whole exhaust to fit it. The Honda clamp isn't so easy to fit at all so the car clamp is the easy way out, but it will do the job. Only thing is if the clamp is rotated the thick side down it may reduce ground clearance. At least you got the dealer to attend to your concerns.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The ground clearence is OK, looks a little strange if you look under the bike. It took two trips to this particular dealer to address the problem, seemed rather unorganized. I'll contact my dealer and see if they can have the correct clamp when I take it in for its 4000 mile check. Makes yu wonder if a new gasket ws actually installed or if the clamp they installed closed the gap. Good news is it runs quieter and the idle seemsto be smoother.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
bumping an ancient thread.
I'm not 1005 happy with the factory clamp, and wondering why a 2" automotive type clamp wouldn't work? Exhaust is off, new donuts installed, new block to header copper rings about to be installed. reason: the new stuff leaked (header collector to exhaust).
Naturally I'd tweak the thick side of the auto clamp where you wouldn't see it. I think the only downside would be excessive tightening may din the pipe?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
bumping an ancient thread.
I'm not 1005 happy with the factory clamp, and wondering why a 2" automotive type clamp wouldn't work? Exhaust is off, new donuts installed, new block to header copper rings about to be installed. reason: the new stuff leaked (header collector to exhaust).
Naturally I'd tweak the thick side of the auto clamp where you wouldn't see it. I think the only downside would be excessive tightening may din the pipe?
You can use what you want on your bike. The stock clamps work well if kept rust free. Any clamp that rusts or corrosion sets in will be a problem.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
bought some stainless 2" clamps, and.....still leaks....frustrating.
Took great care to clean, make sure the muffler side was all straight (metal), inserted working from the back hanging mufflers, started and work in the collector, used new copper rings for the headers and still leaks at the collector...I may well well them.
What a GREAT story the next guy would have about the previous owner, LOL
argh..mess with it t'morrow

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Did you replace the copper wire gaskets to the mufflers if that is where the leak is? The header to head copper crush gaskets won't seal a leak at the mufflers where you mentioned the muffler clamps.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Did you replace the copper wire gaskets to the mufflers if that is where the leak is? The header to head copper crush gaskets won't seal a leak at the mufflers where you mentioned the muffler clamps.
Those graphite coated bronze sleeves? yup..twice now!
Also replaced those copper crush donuts header to head today as well, they weren't leaking but did them anyhow. Very clever engineering, about 2thou oversize so those stay in place while you're messing lifting the headers into place.
going to try a band clamp, and some sheet metal I have as a wrap. man, i hate jury-rigging anything but I can't live with the exhaust smell wafting upwards when I'm sitting at a light etc

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Well, victory! NO exhaust leak! fabbed some slip/sleeve clamps like originals.
A slight ticking from somewhere on the left side by the header, but not block to header, or collector to muffler. I think there may be a pin hole, however. its fixed as far as I'm concerned.
This all came about because I thought syncing the carbs with an exhaust leak would lead to false readings...........so, broke out the gauge and I'd stored it...sideways, refilled, synced, put it all back together....in time for.......... winter??
oh, hell no, I'm still going to take it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.