Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

241 - 260 of 286 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Well Mr. RoadRogue, I have had not one problem with my alt. Conversion, I rode to Kansas City from San Antonio a few times now and it has done just perfectly...I must have done something right..This post has been up for a long time and it's a good one...I did it both ways, I used a homemade pulley and I had a pulley made from a machine shop,, they both worked just fine... Todd, thanks again man....

·
Registered
6 Posts
81 interstate poor power

wanted to do this, I am not really up on tear downs, where could I even think of a pulley for crank?? would have no idea to where. There is no kit anywhere to do this, as of yet? bracket of 3/16 metal confusing, as next pic does not show like in drawing. Hub I guess is my biggest fear, where , what to look for ... thanks craig , minneapolis

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
wanted to do this, I am not really up on tear downs, where could I even think of a pulley for crank?? would have no idea to where. There is no kit anywhere to do this, as of yet? bracket of 3/16 metal confusing, as next pic does not show like in drawing. Hub I guess is my biggest fear, where , what to look for ... thanks craig , minneapolis
There is a guy that is making the complete kit. He is selling them on EBay. I think that it is called the poor boy conversion.

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts

RacerX posted his own conversion in this thread back around (approx) page 10-20.

I also posted my own shop built conversion starting at page 16 to 18.

You might take a look. I posted pictures with part #'s of the pulley and everything i used.It does take some work,but i only had about 200 dollars in the whole project.The prices have since risen a BUNCH.The alt alone is nearly double.
Here is a complete kit that is being sold on fleabay.Not Tooooo bad of a price really,since it is all complete with brackets.Still work to do on the bike to install though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-gold-wing-gl-1200-aftermarket-alternator-kit-/231108682745?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35cf26a3f9&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
250 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw a sale that had the brackets plus the pulley for $300. You will still need to buy the alternator and the wires to go to the battery. That stuff you can get for under $100 I would think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-gl1200-custom-alternator-installation-bracketry-kit-BIG-SALE/231113729166?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=19049&meid=3417255874342790228&pid=100012&prg=8643&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=231108682745&#ht_539wt_761
Ridiculous price...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I LIKE the way you work - and think......"butcher some sheet metal & grab another frosty beverage"..... Oh HE%% YES !......FredT

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
I LIKE the way you work - and think......"butcher some sheet metal & grab another frosty beverage"..... Oh HE%% YES !......FredT

That's what i do..did.lol
It's not that hard.Here's the conversion i did.It starts on page 17 and goes on to pg18 and 19 and i give an update on performance on pg 20 It shows every item used to complete a poorboy alt conversion, with pictures.I have since put over 10K miles on the 1200 and i honestly have not had to touch it for any reason at all.Not even tighten the belt...nothing! it is waaaay better then the stator was.Starts without a grunt now.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/348238-updated-info-how-i-did-poorboy-conversion-82-gl1100-17.html

·
Alaskan Explorer on a Valk
569 Posts
If you do the conversion. consider adding this to your belt covers . I went to remove my covers and found I could not-because the pulley is in the way of getting the bolt out.

The following was from another forum and produced by "Little Beaver"

..What I did was I dreamed up another way of fastening the inner mounting bolt for the timing belt covers...I basically just moved the bolt hole over 1" from the existing location, on the inside where the bolt normally goes I made a mounting bar or a piece of flat stock with a hole for a 6mm bolt to go straight thru to fasten it and 1" down is another hole drilled and tapped to recieve the original stock bolt..I just relocated the stupid thing is what I'm trying to say here. It works really nicely..So here are some photograph's for you guy's...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am doing the same conversion om my 83 wing and i found a good drive pulley from a 83 ford alternator and cut the rear pulley groove off in a lathe and square the rear lip up to get a close fit to the timing covers.i`m using a alternator off a 88 chevy sprint it has a v-belt and i found doing the mod`s was quite easy to do thanks for all the info and pic`s. and the ford pulley is the perfect length and it takes a 1/2 in piece of pipe for a shim for the bolt and it`s a tight fit on the bolt and the pulley

·
Rider
84 Posts
I finished rebuilding/replacing front to back and went for a test ride. I didn't have to do the stator as everything checked out good while I was cleaning up its wiring. I got 60 miles down the road thinking how great it was performing and how lucky I was I didn't have to replace the stator. Then it happened: it started bogging down as if it was starving for gas or losing spark on half the cylinders. Then I heard Jabba's laugh.
The last 30 miles home it ran good at times with plenty power then would bog down, losing power. Got home pulled the panel off the battery and checked voltage at battery. 12.6 at idle, 13 at 2500 and above. Well there ya go. It measured 12.6 and 14.2 when I had redone the stator wires, solid, each time I revved. Now it won't go any higher than 13.

All connections are good, rectifier,/regulator good, not going farther than that with troubleshooting. I'm going to just go ahead and do the conversion. I got the rest of the parts locally saving about $200. I can do the alternator alterations myself. Parts on the way. Gonna replace the water pump also while I'm at it. Can't do much riding now anyway thanks to this frigid weather.

·
Rider
84 Posts
Glad I decided to replace the water pump too. When I took it out and turned it, it felt as though there was sand inside it, no smooth movement but grav-elly.

What a mess with removing all the gasket material and what seems like eons of gunk built up. Taking my time getting it right so I can move on with the alternator install.

I got the support cut off and the upper mount hand tight and when I finish with the water pump I'll move on.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yeap ...cleaning all the gunk off is the hard part.
Putting goodies on afterward makes the cleaning chore much more bearable.
I'm not one for bling but am one for cleanliness.
...hard to spot seepage under crud.

Will be interesting to see yours when done.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
found a good driv?pulley from a 83 ford alternator and cut the rear pulley groove off in a lathe and square the rear lip up to get a close fit to the timing covers
got more info on that pulley/alt combo? car model/engine fitting?

popular or generic pulleys can often be sourced at outfits like doorman,

the ford pulley is the perfect length and it takes a 1/2 in piece of pipe for a shim for the bolt and it`s a tight fit on the bolt and the pulley
got a source or part # for that 1/2" pipe?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
the pulley link here is not working for me
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/1583319-post168.html

is this the one?
http://pitstopusa.com/i-14482472-krc-alternator-pulley-denso-delco-3-rib-serpentine-3-50.html

That's what i do..did.lol
It's not that hard.Here's the conversion i did.It starts on page 17 and goes on to pg18 and 19 and i give an update on performance on pg 20 It shows every item used to complete a poorboy alt conversion, with pictures.I have since put over 10K miles on the 1200 and i honestly have not had to touch it for any reason at all.Not even tighten the belt...nothing! it is waaaay better then the stator was.Starts without a grunt now.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/348238-updated-info-how-i-did-poorboy-conversion-82-gl1100-17.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi all,
I found this alternator while searching online tonight, NEW CHEVY MINI ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 93MM 60AMP 3-WIRE. I know others have found similar, but this one is 60 amps, not 35 like most others I've seen and its 1 or 3 wire. Anyway, the listing is on eBay, sold by Rareelectrical. I am looking to use this when I do my conversion.

BTW, RoadRogue, nice pipe clamp adapted for top bracket/adjuster.
I love it!
Alan

·
Rider
84 Posts
Glad I decided to replace the water pump too. When I took it out and turned it, it felt as though there was sand inside it, no smooth movement but grav-elly.

What a mess with removing all the gasket material and what seems like eons of gunk built up. Taking my time getting it right so I can move on with the alternator install.

I got the support cut off and the upper mount hand tight and when I finish with the water pump I'll move on.
Some pics as I'm waiting on parts to complete water pump. The before pic and a couple of the upper mount. I had to notch it in as it rocked back and forth over the coaming.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 286 Posts