Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 286 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

badorderbob wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
Is there any detailed pics of that neat mounting system?:applause::applause::?
If your talking about mine, I just used a mounting kit. Then I took the old screen and tried my best to cut out the circumference of the fan for a fit. Here's a pic. of the mounting fit, really neat:thumbsup:!! Enjoy:weightlifter:Bob
Actually, I refering to RoadRogue & Littlebeavers & yours as well & I am refering to the actual alt mount with that really neat adjusting bolt. Thanks O by the way Bob saw this first over @ the other site & that is a very neat jobe of wireing. Congrats. Angela:applause::applause::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

who in the heck needs a shroud ha ha...I wanta see how it does without one,If the results are not good Then I have a second option, I honestly don't think the shroudwill make any difference in the fans effectivness, testing it will be the best way to know..I'm pretty sure the fan will still blow air out forward..I do understand the purpose of the shroud but I like testing stuff for myself...Just to see for myself what happens...the shroud is meant to contain the direction of the air flow at the same time protect the fan from flying objects ect. My thought is this, without it the air flowmay be better on the radiator without the shroud because more air will be blown on it, by not having the shroud on it, I know about how long it takes for the fan to run before it cuts back off, if there isn't any change in the run time then I will not place a shroud on, if it takes longer to cut off, then you can bet I will make a custom shroud for it..

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Angela I measured about 3" on the top and 2 1/2" on the side brackets, and fine adjusted it by move the left loctaion as you can see the holes where I wasn't quite pleased with the angle of the dangle..It clears the belt and pulley just fine...I did this just be cause I wanted to be different..Really no other reason..

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Mourning Beav, I was just thinking (which usually gets me into trouble:ROFL:),I noticed when I put the new fan on the front and did a test, air flow throw the rad. was slower then I expected. But that's with it as close to then rad. fins as possible and being the fan is completely in a shroud:shock:. Gee, that's Hi Tech thinkin,...:cheesygrin:,....and even the ole OEM had a shroud for a better draw for cooling!! Now with that statement, I compared that (in the darkest crevasses of my mind:)) to my trucks' rad. whichonly has a .25 of a shroud and cools OK:thumbsup:! Now thinking even deeper:ROFL:, the truck has only 1 row of fins for cooling and it's bigger for better cooling. But with the GL's rad., it's condensed and smaller made to fit in a small place.So what's all the Hot air about:cheeky1:,.................. personally I think you'll need somewhat or part of a shroud for better cooling. But I will be curiousto seehow it turns out:cool:!! Isn't it just fun doing what you want regardless what anyone else thinks:thumbsup:!!!!!!!!!!!I hope it turns out the way ya want it too!! Then on the other hand I'm really just trying to gain #'s in posting:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:!! Good luck, :weightlifter:BoB

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

littlebeaver wrote:
Angela I measured about 3" on the top and 2 1/2" on the side brackets, and fine adjusted it by move the left loctaion as you can see the holes where I wasn't quite pleased with the angle of the dangle..It clears the belt and pulley just fine...I did this just be cause I wanted to be different..Really no other reason..
I'm a little confused Beave. What I would like is a couple of good pics & drawings of the Altenator mount that Todd made & you copied. I really like that pipe mount & threaded adjustment. Thanks Ange.:waving::waving::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Yes sir Bob , I'm way way outside the box of any normal person, I'm not saying that a good thing but I really enjoy experimentation...I have to find stuff out on my own so then I can make a judgment for myself, Why??? Because I can....ha ha

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

Yes sir Bob , I'm way way outside the box of any normal person, I'm not saying that's a good thing but I really enjoy experimentation...I have to find stuff out on my own so then I can make a judgment for myself, Why??? Because I can....ha ha

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

Hey Beav,.......aah are we related?:ROFL::ROFL:Don't ya just love it, figuring out stuff Your Way:thumbsup:!! That's why it costs me more sometimes!! :weightlifter:Later, Bob By the way I did get mine running today producing a around 13.8 at 1000rpm. That's with a 3.5 crank pulley and my " supposedly" new 2.0'' but was really a 2.8" grrrrr!!!:lash:So I complained and felt mislead and they gave me the amount in a gift certificate. I'm going to use it on a bigger fan:cheesygrin:!! I also have an eye on a real 2.2 pulley I'm a gettin!! All in al I'm pretty satisfied!! Spend a little mo moola, and see if I can get a better read on the alt. output!!!! Later,...:weightlifter:Bob

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
imported post

I am done with my test and I saw no change in the performance of the fan and it's ability to cool the radiator down, it cycle's on and off as normal, 37 seconds it will run before cutting back off,, just like before..Shroud makes no matter being there...I'm very pleased with my findings..radiator is full and I'm finished with this poorboy conversion, it's time to reassemble tonight and ride her..Once again..

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
littlebeaver wrote:
I'm a little confused Beave. What I would like is a couple of good pics & drawings of the Altenator mount that Todd made & you copied. I really like that pipe mount & threaded adjustment. Thanks Ange.:waving::waving::action::action::action::action:
Angela, if you go to page 2 ,post #38 pictures 3 and 4 show the new mount needed for the alternator. Replace the stock upper motor mont with the new one. Hope this helps .Todd

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
imported post

A big thanks to the Moderators for turning this thread into a sticky. I had no idea that this would draw so much attention when I started this thread. If anyone else starts their own conversion and has questions, please feel free to ask, I am happy to help if I can.

Ride safe, Todd :action:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

RoadRogue wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
littlebeaver wrote:
Angela, if you go to page 2 ,post #38 pictures 3 and 4 show the new mount needed for the alternator. Replace the stock upper motor mont with the new one. Hope this helps .Todd
Thanks Todd.:applause::applause::action::action:

101 - 120 of 286 Posts