Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since I've been on, and if you are at all interested, here is an update as to what is happening.

A LOT of changes.

After the mondo knee injury, MRSA, and hearing loss, you'd think that would be enough for a lifetime. Well, no, its not apparently. lol.

Since then, Ive shredded the other knee, again. I am up to 13 ops, total, between the two knees. I gave up on trying to work, and am now on my social security. Not a kings ransom, but its mine.

April of last year, my wife of 32 yrs and I divorced. Things had been strained for some time. During the process of getting some remodel work done to sell the jointly owned house, I've managed to finish off my right shoulder. Its really quite a mess, spurs, no wear surfaces left, cysts, "very unhealthy tendons", and tears. Wednesday I talk to a doc about a complete replacement.

I've sold the spyder, and am no longer riding. I am quite content with being able to walk, its something I used to take for granted.

Now, for the good stuff.

In October a young lady from AZ reached out to me on eHarmony. Sheri. A strong woman, like minded in everyway. We hit it off, and married Dec 23. Just after the first of the year we bought a foreclosure (cash-no mortgage!!) in her hometown of Kamiah, Idaho. Its a lovely place. We moved in full time the first of this month. Before we bought, we got to spend hours in it with power and water on. So far, it looks as though we got a pretty solid place.

I was quite certain that I would not find anyone who could deal with my limited income and limited abilities (26 total surgeries and growing). Along came Sheri. She is also disabled. She understands the challenges as she faces them too. God works in mysterious ways sometimes, but I know he brought us together. Its a good thing we have.

There are lots of ups and downs in life. I guess its all about perspective. My perspective these days is pretty optimistic, in spite of the limitations. We are taking one day at a time, being thankful for the many blessings.

I choose to be content with what I have, rather than discontent with what I dont have.

Hope you all are well. Blessings to you, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congratulations on your new marriage. I know God works in very mysterious ways. As long as the two of you put God first in your lives, He will bless you. I wish you both all the best. Maybe you can start riding again one day.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,402 Posts
I choose to be content with what I have, rather than discontent with what I don't have.

Great to hear from you again. That quote is the key to happiness.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
Grats!!! I'll forego the negative and concentrate the positive. Good for you on the new bride. What ever happened to the Elio...Oleo...O whatever? :welc:Back.

·
Premium Member
55,691 Posts
Congratulations Dick on the new marriage and a whole new start....

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
Congrats! No longer in the 'Grove then?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the wishes, all... as for the elio, its still 'in production'. Taking way longer than all of us reservationists like, but it is what it is. I think it will happen, just when I dont know.

I knew it was a crap shoot from the gitgo, so its all good.

Got a doc visit in since I last posted, yep the shoulder is a goner. Bone spurs cutting up the soft stuff, cysts from the spurs, no teflon left, tears, a tendon that they described as "very unhealthy" and a muscle they called "technically functional but its mush". Yep, Mush.

To top it off they found an abnormality that is going to make things difficult. They are gonna do a total, reverse, replacement. pic attached.
http://www.newmobility.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/shoulder-arthroplasty-Mayo-Clinic.jpg

Beautiful day in Kamiah, today. Its good to be alive.

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Congrats on the Marriage, its very true on being thankful for what you do have and not what you dont! I went through a divorce 5 yrs ago myself being married for the 20 yrs then all of a sudden waking up to it can be VERY stressful. Like you I remarried, and life is good! Praying everything turns out good for ya brother, hang in there.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts

·
Administrator
57,494 Posts
thanks for the wishes, all...

To top it off they found an abnormality that is going to make things difficult. They are gonna do a total, reverse, replacement. pic attached.
http://www.newmobility.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/shoulder-arthroplasty-Mayo-Clinic.jpg
Richard,

just an observation, but it appears that the Reverse method makes for a more solid attachment to the shoulder? to me, it would seem to be stronger and more lasting for you.

Maybe I missed it, but do you now have new doctors and a local surgeon near you in Idaho?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
You've had more than a few potholes in your life journey. May the future be smooth.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Richard,

just an observation, but it appears that the Reverse method makes for a more solid attachment to the shoulder? to me, it would seem to be stronger and more lasting for you.

Maybe I missed it, but do you now have new doctors and a local surgeon near you in Idaho?
Hi John,

I do have new docs in Idaho, they served as 2nd opinion. The point of the reverse is "A reverse total shoulder replacement works better for people with cuff tear arthropathy because it relies on different muscles to move the arm. In a healthy shoulder, the rotator cuff muscles help position and power the arm during range of motion. A conventional replacement device also uses the rotator cuff muscles to function properly. In a patient with a large rotator cuff tear and cuff tear arthropathy, these muscles no longer function. The reverse total shoulder replacement relies on the deltoid muscle, instead of the rotator cuff, to power and position the arm."

This will be the third time in this shoulder. No wear surfaces left, sick muscles and tendons...

Hope you are well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.