Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well it is -31C (feels like -41C/F because of wind chill) outside this morning:X:X:X and I have waxed every part of my new wing twice. I want to make a few upgrades while I wait for spring. I live on a lake and have to drive 1 1/2 miles before get to pavement. This road is fairly hard grave, speed limited to 50kph/30mph. It gets real sloppy when it rains. I am thinking of adding a fender extension and a belly pan. Now for the questions:

Do fender extensions work, how long of an extension should I get and has anyone had trouble with fenders cracking from the extra stress. I know from my experience with the Suzuki Gamma that it doesn't take much to create hairline cracks in the plastic.

Is a S/S belly pan better than a aluminum pan?

Are there any other suggestions for regular riding on grave?

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I don't know if a belly pan is a plus or minus. Would it accumulate more dirt and be harder to clean?

I hit some spongy crappy road last summer just south of Brandon and I felt likeI was driving over a mattress. Took forever to clean out the mess.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

There are several styles and types of fender extension on the market. The one I installed on my bike I think I got from Chrome World. It has braces that install on the inside of the fender and you have to tap the existing fender mounting holes completely through the existing housing and install the braces. They hold the fender extension, not the fender and do not crack the fender like some of the ones that just use two screws to hold it on. It also is long enough it works.

The belly pan is your choice and yes stainless steel is better than aluminum and more so on gravel as it is more resistant to getting hammered with rocks.

But I think you will find with the fender extension, other than some dust and road scum not much will fly up under the bike in any event.

So if you do both, you should be set, and get the one with the part that you can take off up front , so you can change the oil without taking the whole mess off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Kit, did you buy the 7" chrome or the 6" colour matched:?:?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
I don't know if a belly pan is a plus or minus. Would it accumulate more dirt and be harder to clean?

I hit some spongy crappy road last summer just south of Brandon and I felt likeI was driving over a mattress. Took forever to clean out the mess.
Sounds like you found that stretch of #10 under construction. We did that last summer with a cager 5ft behind us all the way.

Aitkameg

As for gravel, I do about 4 mi of gravel each way when I go to my cabin in the Duck Mts. I don't have fender extension or belly pan. I do pick up a fair bit of mud on the front cowl, and it's gradually getting more and more stone chips. I'm buying a chrome one soon, and a fender extension to go with it.

I don't want a belly pan, but one thing you need to worry about is the coolant reserve tank. I found after only 15,000 km that the foil tape Honda put on was badly scarred. I now have mine protected with two layers of Gorilla tape and it's good, and easy to replace. Others have made aluminum protectors to do the same job.

Are you on Clearwater? Used to love fishing for lakers in the fall at the pumphouse.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

opps I'm too fast on the send button, my fingers are not as fast as my mind...Yes English Bob that is where I am. A short 5 min boat ride to great trout action spring and fall

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Aitkameg wrote:
Kit, did you buy the 7" chrome or the 6" colour matched:?:?
I have the chrome one, if it is shiny I like it. :D I will go try to find the thing on the web and provide a link. Kit

This is the one, if you read the reviews the dummies who did not install the braces now have cracked fenders. Mine has done well, no cracks, no nothing and does keep almost all the stuff kicked up by the tire off the bike.
GL1800 Extra Long Fender Extension - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I have the Kuryakan Chrome one with the rubber at the bottom. It certainly increased the life of my chrome lower cowl and does exactly what it is designed to do. Looks good as well. I also have the belly pan which is an inexpensive item which keeps rocks away from the sensitive parts of the lower engine which would be expensive to repair if damaged. Only takes a minute to take it off and put it on so I generally take it off every month and give it a good clean depending on my mileage. Both the front fender extension and the belly pan are in my opinion must-have items.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have found that the belly pan will increase your temp during the summer by reducing circulation. I end up taking it off around town during the summer months as the traffic and slower driving also drive up the temps. But on the road it is not a problem and I go with the additional protection. I also have the extended fender piece, chrome of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.