Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm looking to upgrade my wimpy horns on my '98 1500 SE. I obviously want loud and am looking at the Stebel horn. The problem is that I don't know of a place big enough to mount it where the sound will get out. Have any of you found a place where it will fit and be effective?

Are there any direct replacement horns that are much louder than the stock horns? Are there other options for adding a loud horn?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

This is where I mounted my Stebel. Used existing horn wire as switch wire on the relay. Removed OEM horns

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,793 Posts
imported post

Rudy mounted his inside the fairing, in front of the left pocket I think.

see his signature links

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Rudy mounted his inside the fairing, in front of the left pocket I think.

see his signature links
Thanks John. Yes I put mine inside the left fairing on top of the upper air duct and just to the center of the left front turn signal housing.

I made a small hole inside the fairing facing the forks to let the sound out and it is plenty loud. I have heard of others outing the sound through the front vent hole right there as well.

One guy stuck his up above the center of the two radiators but I was concerned about fork compression in that area. His would be louder than mine of course.

Be sure to use a 15 amp fuse and a relay to the batt to drive it with. You can tap into the horn connection to drive the relay with as if it were a third horn.

If you can afford it, I hear you can mount 1800 stock horns where the 1500's were and they are seriously loud as well.

I kept all horns working when I added my Stebel because the stock ones fire sooner, fire forward and when the Stebel kicks in, it is like a second vehicle honking.

It will get the SUV babe on the cell phone drifting over into your lane to drop the phone and pay attention. Old ladies don't hear it at all. :dude:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Rudy,

How did you get it in there above the air duct? Did you remove the dash?

Never mind. I found the Hey Silverfox thread in the General Discussion forum. Installation sounds easy enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.