Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All, I currently have an 84 1200 Aspencade. Have been having many difficulties this year. Seems everything is starting to wear out at the same time. Rather than to keep sinking more and more money into it I was considering upgrading to a newer model. I have read the link for history on the Goldwings but still am not sure which year the the best for reliablility and performance. Of your opinion which year of Goldwings is the hands downs best model year ever produced? I was considering getting one mid to late 90's possibly. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Patrick :baffled:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

That is a tall order question Psdevlin, everyone here will have such different views.

Some would say that the earlier ones are best, just because things are accesable for working on. You will get lovers of every model between that and the 1800 which handles superbly and is technologically advanced. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to get to hang out with owners of all models and get their oppinions, maybe even try one or two. Dealers will usually let you ride before buying. It is a very personal choice and only you can decide. Since you already have onee, at least you have a benchmark, by which you can judge others.

Pete

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Patrick,
You seem to be setting your sights on a GL1500. Anything from 1990 up (carbs sorted, saddlebags stopped leaking) is good. If the budget will reach, a 1995 has to be a very good bet. Right in the middle of the models life and with all the improvements that came in 1995 (lowered suspension, improved bodywork) makes a 95 worth looking for. An SE model doesn't cost a lot more than an Aspencade, but has many more extras as standard, such as CB radio, lighted handlebar switches, cornering lights, two-tone paint...
I personally wouldn't buy an Interstate as there are too many things missing that you get on the Aspencade and SE. Lack of a reverse gear is a big deal and I've seen big strong guys do their backs in trying to shuffle Interstate 1500's back. Of course this means you will get a 1996 (last Interstates) for less money than say a 1993-94 SE.

Anyway, all the best of luck with your search. I just wanted to get my post count up to 200 before I go to bed! :waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Does that mean you get "" active member "after your name as well as adminsistrator? REDWING will have a seizure ..:cheeky1::cheeky1:.Ciaran

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Does that mean you get "" active member "after your name as well as adminsistrator? REDWING will have a seizure ..:cheeky1::cheeky1:.Ciaran
maybe we should create a new classification for him, like "active administrator"!

What a great site. I cant go 4 hours without checking in! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
wexman wrote:
maybe we should create a new classification for him, like "active administrator"!

I am the same, have to check it out, morning and evening even if I don't have the time to comment, trouble is, with so much great stuff being posted, both technical and general, not to mention for sale etc, it takes me ages to look through!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I will just have to test ride some bikes to see which year I like. I think I am leaning towards something between 97-2000. I'll keep riding my 84 Aspencade for now. May try to sell it in the fall, and then buy another one towards spring - that way I don't have to store one for the winter. My wife would be thrilled to have room in the garage for her van.

Patrick :waving:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey psdevlin :waving:Well you got the advice from the Master himself :clapper:so you gotta make up your own mind now buddy. :weightlifter:Good luck with the shopping.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
wexman wrote:

Yeah thats right wexman :clapper:the wingnut is an "Active Member" and your a "Very Active Member" :weightlifter: Thats a nice Title ubarw :clapper:I wonder how much that Titlewould pay. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.