Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It has long been my position that the only safe way to use a Run on Flat (ROF) car tire was to include the use of an electronic Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) with it.

The reason this is important is because it is possible to run one of these tires with absolutely no air pressure and not notice it. The ROF tires begin to self destruct from the interior when run at highway speeds and with no air pressure within 30 miles.

BUT all we need is a means of knowing when the air pressure in the tire is low or gone. There are valve stem devices that will provide this information without having to measure the pressure but some are poorly made and all of them add weight to the angled valve stems, encouraging stem failure.

However using a good tire pressure indicator to a billet valve stem, negates the problem of valve stem fatigue and can provide the necessary information at a glance before each ride. Granted you don't get real time measurements while riding but you also don't have the costs and complexity involved with the TPMS systems either.

In summary:

ROF tires still need an easy monitor of some sort. TMPS systems provide the optimal feedback but simple, well engineered and produced stem pressure warning caps when used with billet solid stems is an excellent and acceptable alternative with lower costs and lower complexity.

I, now, consider this lower cost approach to be an acceptable risk solution to the ROF invisible flatness problem.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I kinda agree.

However there is still the problem if your off riding a 200 mile leg on 1 tank of fuel and get a puncture from a nail or such in the beginning, well you might be running 150 miles or more on a flat and not know it till it comes apart.

I like my Taxi Tire, and I guess if I get a flat it will let me know when the air is gone? I don't really know and hope to never find out LOL

But with the run flat, well you just don't know if you have air or not I guess while riding. SO if it loses all the air and your still riding another 100 miles to next stop, what then?
I do like the idea of those caps you just glance at to see if you have green (enough air) or red (low air) but you have to be stopped and actually look at them.
For someone like me, they could be handy when I'm stopped or before I start a ride, but I ride maybe 100 to 200 miles sometimes between stops where I actually check anything.

Something else I have wondered about. I see mention of the forces on the valve stems for some items that install like the caps.
However, does centrifugal force not try to toss the heavy parts to the outside! In this case the heavier weight on the end of a valve stem should be forcing the stem to ride tight against the tab on the wheel I would think. So not really so much stress against the stem as it would seem.

Certainly adding 1oz of weight to a stem could toss a wheel out of balance I think the same as sticking a lead weight to the wrong area of the wheel itself. But as far as stress on the stem, I would think these honda wheels with the T tabs/locks it would not matter as the stem should just ride there locked in with the forced holding it tighter the faster the wheel turns.
Not sure what those T tab things are actually called though.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I should probably mention too, I just ride and check the tires each morning before starting out with a normal air gauge.
If I am riding and get a low tire or flat, I would not know unless the Wing is starting to handle oddly.

One of the reasons I was not too interested in ROF tires when I decided to go darkside.

If I could find the caps that read green for above 40psi and red for under, I would maybe use those. I run more than 40psi, but as long as there is at least 40psi in both tires I'm ok.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I like my Taxi Tire too. But I'm running 36 PSI in it; not 40 or more. I like Rudy's idea of the easy idea of checking the pressure whenever you stop though. the would be a good thing on any tire.

Dubs

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
I like my Taxi Tire too. But I'm running 36 PSI in it; not 40 or more. I like Rudy's idea of the easy idea of checking the pressure whenever you stop though. the would be a good thing on any tire.

Dubs
Yes but not on just any valve stem.

If you have an angled valve stem then it needs to be the type that nuts up inside the rim. Otherwise, rubber base stems would cause too much flexing with the added cap weight, even with the stock support pieces as they allow movement within them. Those support pieces often come loose from the 'T' mount and become a liability themselves.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Dubswing wrote:

Dubs
Yes but not on just any valve stem.

If you have an angled valve stem then it needs to be the type that nuts up inside the rim. Otherwise, rubber base stems would cause too much flexing with the added cap weight, even with the stock support pieces as they allow movement within them. Those support pieces often come loose from the 'T' mount and become a liability themselves.
OH, ok I did not know they come loose. I figured the spinning force is pushing them to the T support when riding. Kinda faster you go the tighter they would hold?

I'd actually prefer permanent valve stems, but what to use on the 1500?

And I just got back the title for my 82 1100 I sold early this year but never got any money for, so I may want new permanent stems for it too.

My friend gave me back the title when I asked, and I am going to help him rebuild his basket case 1100 this winter. If his has a good engine tranny then putting it together should result in a better bike for him anyway, so much nicer and all stock with options.
I fear though he's got a butchered mess, about everyone but me seems to screw him over.
Why would an 1100 engine be totally gone through and rebuilt, and if it was what kind of abuse did it suffer to make it necessary to do so?
I think he was lied to most likely.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Are you laughing at ME?
Why are you laughing at ME?
Everyone laughs at me!

Gee whiz, I should have been a comedian, the White Richard Prior or Eddy Murphy maybe the way everyone laughs at me!

I would maybe be offended if it weren't for the way I like to make people laugh at times.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sorry... I was just ad-libbing for you as you had forgotten to add any in your post.

The stems you need for your 1500 are here:

http://kurveygirl.com/shop/index.php?cPath=27

You want the 11.3 mm size. You will need to cut a small angled bevel in your T post to clear for the stems as shown below.

For other bikes with straight stems, you can get the one at the top of that page.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Sorry... I was just ad-libbing for you as you had forgotten to add any in your post.

You want the 11.3 mm size. You will need to cut a small angled bevel in your T post to clear for the stems as shown below.

For other bikes with straight stems, you can get the one at the top of that page.
OH, OK, I did didn't I. LOL
Thanks.

83 or 85 degree?
I kinda like the "85 Degree Enkei Metal Valve Stems Package of 2" for $10

Otherwise I got to decide if I am doing anything to my wheels and what color I'd need for the 83 degree aluminum ones.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

In a world of countless electronic gadgetry, we need somethings to stay simple. No batteriesto replace, no wires to run, no gauges to monitor.

Would it not be feasible to have a mechanical pop-up stem where it uses the passing air for a high pitched whistle?

Of coarse said pop-up would be designed tonot let any air out.

my :?$0.000002

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

FM wrote:
In a world of countless electronic gadgetry, we need somethings to stay simple. No batteriesto replace, no wires to run, no gauges to monitor.

Would it not be feasible to have a mechanical pop-up stem where it uses the passing air for a high pitched whistle?

Of coarse said pop-up would be designed tonot let any air out.

my :?$0.000002
Well, you can't really have the whistle unless air is passing by something, and that would be letting the air out.

Otherwise we got those things to look at on the valve stems.
At one time I think there was a valve cap that had like the gauge stick with markings, very short and very limited for readings.
And there are the caps that show red for low and green for correct or high, I think you can get them in a couple preset pressures like 32psi or 36psi?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Dusty has the colored pressure caps on his billet stems.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

http://tinyurl.com/63ctzde

I purchased 5 of the above, 2 for myself, 2 for my son's Kawasaki Nomad, & 1 for a friend who rides a Goldwing trike. Of the five caps we had 3 failures. The cap on my son's Nomad front tire, the clear cover blew off on the freeway @ 70 mph & he lost all air in the tire in about 1/4 mile. My front tire leaked overnight from 40 psi to 15 psi. My buddy's trike did the same thing on a mulit day trip. These things work by depressing the valve stem all the time. Thus if the cap doesn't seal 100%, then you will have a flat tire sooner or later. My advise to to avoid them. My $00.02....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:

These are what I use. Got em for free!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

RE: Upon Further Thinking... [align=center]"Don'tcha go thinking and thinking and thinking[/align][align=center]Thinking so much that you're stranded behind[/align][align=center]Don'tcha go thinking and thinking and thinking and[/align][align=center]Thinking so much that you're loosing your mind."[/align][align=center]Steve Forbert, 1979[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]:waving:
[/align]

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Yup .... I run with a set of (40 PSI)Accu-Pressure Safety Caps on my bike that I bought Here

The problem with buying there is that they are sold in pairs of the same pressure. :sleepy:

Like most other riders,my rear and front tires are set at different pressures, so each is merely a 'Safety Factor' and not a true indicator of each wheels exact pressure. Both front and rear wheel are aired up by a minimum of 3 PSI above the 40 PSI I have on them. (a lot of people are surprised at the pressures I keep them at)

If the pressure drops below 36, then they are supposed to turn yellow. I've never experienced that much of a loss of pressure since installing them, so I can't say for sure they (colour change)work,:baffling:...... but they do provide a quick/easy visual reference!!

I'd buy one of the exactpressure I wanted, for each wheel, from the link supplied above, by Redeye

I forgot to mention that they are attached to my permanentbillet aluminum air valves

Dusty

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Yup .... I run with a set of (40 PSI)Accu-Pressure Safety Caps on my bike that I bought Here

The problem with buying there is that they are sold in pairs of the same pressure. :sleepy:

Like most other riders,my rear and front tires are set at different pressures, so each is merely a 'Safety Factor' and not a true indicator of each wheels exact pressure. Both front and rear wheel are aired up by a minimum of 3 PSI above the 40 PSI I have on them. (a lot of people are surprised at the pressures I keep them at)

If the pressure drops below 36, then they are supposed to turn yellow. I've never experienced that much of a loss of pressure since installing them, so I can't say for sure they (colour change)work,:baffling:...... but they do provide a quick/easy visual reference!!

I'd buy one of the exactpressure I wanted, for each wheel, from the link supplied above, by Redeye

I forgot to mention that they are attached to my permanentbillet aluminum air valves

Dusty
You just need someone else to buy the other pressure pair and trade one of them each between you.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Are you laughing at ME?
Why are you laughing at ME?
Everyone laughs at me!

Gee whiz, I should have been a comedian, the White Richard Prior or Eddy Murphy maybe the way everyone laughs at me!

I would maybe be offended if it weren't for the way I like to make people laugh at times.
Yeah Chromo, everybody loves a comedian. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

a run flat system is handy to have but still you can only go about 50ish miles much like a spare tire then the tire will probably need replaced, we got a couple wireless tire monitor systems that the brain box plugs into a 12volt source you can program it to go off on any pressure its handy but still air flucuates alot from overnight to cold to hot so it always goes off its pretty sensitive i still think the best way is to hit the tire i get on one knee look at the rear tire see how its wearing and see if there is pressure in it i dont physically put a guage on it every day maybe once a week but physically get on a knee and feel it is a daily routine when my dad and i were on our long trip each fuel up before i got back on the road i walked around the bike checked the lights, and tires its a religeous kinda thing

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.