Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Aspy has been running great in the year that I've owned her.

I've used her to make the massive commute from my home to work every day for the past year.

I FINALLY got a new apartment that's less than 5 miles from work. I moved in this weekend. I went and got the bike from my old place on Saturday and it was running fine.

The battery had to be jumped, which is also strange, but not what this is about.

I went to take her to work this morning and enjoy my new MASSIVELY shorter commute that doesn't even involve a single freeway but she didn't start.

At first, it was the same as on Saturday, a dead battery. But I bought a portable jumper just for the bike and I've used it a half dozen times without any problem whatsoever.

This time, however, the bike just cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked. (you get the idea)

This went on (with breaks) for about 2 minutes until the battery on the jumper was near dead.

At which point the bike actually backfired VERY loudly. (which it's never done before) There were multiple times when it sounded like it was going to start JUST as I let go of the start switch, but pressing it again immediately just went back to cranking. There's 3/4 of a tank of gas in her.

WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MY BABY?????

Btw, with the battery, this is weird.
I've had the bike about a year and I bought a brand new battery about a month into owning her.

The battery and acid even came separately, which I've been told is better. I have a voltmeter attached to the battery and she's always around 13.7 volts when riding at highway speeds and sitting around 12.4 volts when the bike is off.

So nothing is draining the battery when it's off, so I don't know why I need to keep jumping her. The voltmeter will show 12.4 volts and then I go to press the start button and she won't even do a full crank.

It's like all voltage and no amperage. But right now, I'm more worried about why she didn't start at all this morning.

HELP!!!!!!??????

God bless,

~Mark

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,722 Posts
Is the Voltmeter tied direct to the Battery?
I did that to my bike, and over a bit of time, it will draw the battery down.

but you say you ride it to work everyday, so it should be charging up.

BUT, now with your new shorter route, the Ride Time is too short to keep the battery completely charged up.

12.4 volts is not a full charge, it is only about a 40% charge, it must read 13.3+ to be at 80% charge.

the battery is too low, to start the bike.

The jumper cables cannot carry enough current to start the engine,
the jumper is intended to be placed on the battery,
and allowed to sit there for 15-30 minutes to recharge the battery to full potential. Then you start the engine.

I have an Engine Start mode on my Battery Charger.
It shows on the LED display time remaining before you can start the engine, it starts at 20 minutes!!!

at the end of the count down, it changes to START ENGINE NOW.

I highly Recommend that you get a Battery Tender, and when you are home,
make it a habit, ALWAYS PLUG IN the Battery Tender.

That will cure your problem.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
637 Posts
Not just any "battery tender", but a Battery Tender Jr., by Deltran.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Mark, About battery charge status......read the attachment.

At 12.4 volts, your battery is not fully charged....!!!!! Just slightly over "Half" fully charged.....!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Say what.....................

Look at my attachment about battery charge rate......!!!!

Is the Voltmeter tied direct to the Battery?
I did that to my bike, and over a bit of time, it will draw the battery down.

but you say you ride it to work everyday, so it should be charging up.

BUT, now with your new shorter route, the Ride Time is too short to keep the battery completely charged up.

12.4 volts is not a full charge, it is only about a 40% charge, it must read 13.3+ to be at 80% charge.

the battery is too low, to start the bike.

The jumper cables cannot carry enough current to start the engine,
the jumper is intended to be placed on the battery,
and allowed to sit there for 15-30 minutes to recharge the battery to full potential. Then you start the engine.

I have an Engine Start mode on my Battery Charger.
It shows on the LED display time remaining before you can start the engine, it starts at 20 minutes!!!

at the end of the count down, it changes to START ENGINE NOW.

I highly Recommend that you get a Battery Tender, and when you are home,
make it a habit, ALWAYS PLUG IN the Battery Tender.

That will cure your problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The volt meter is just a really small LED directly attached to the battery, so it's not drawing any real power. The battery may be a problem, but the thing is, the engine was cranking fully, it just wasn't STARTING. I haven't actually had a change to ride it on the short commute yet, so where wasn't a chance to run the battery down. The volt meter shows 13.8v during riding.

I just need to know why it's suddenly won't start. I've used the jumper to start the bike half a dozen times previously in the last few months. It was just acting like it wouldn't start for whatever reason...either no gas or no spark, but neither should be suddenly non-existent.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,722 Posts
the 1500 will crank very well right down to about 11 volts,

BUT,
the ECM will NOT fire off the Spark plugs unless there is at least 11.8 + volts at the Battery Terminals during the cranking period.

Replace your battery with an AGM, and use a Battery Tender brand charger...
there are a lot of so called "battery tenders" and most of them are junk.

go read those Documents that DBoher sent to you,
apparently you have not done so yet?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
And the backfire is a definite sign that the the battery is way down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can stick the battery on a charger like I could before. Before, I had electricity in my garage that used to feed the charger. My new garage doesn't have electricity.

I presume that AGM is a brand of battery? The one I have was brand new and got good reviews. It's been working fine for nearly a year.

I'm still confused why the bike went from working fine to not starting no matter what in just over 2 days.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,825 Posts
The battery had to be jumped, which is also strange, but not what this is about.

That is exactly what this is about. You have been commuting a long distance ? so you have kept your battery charged. The 1500 battery "will" discharge if not used for a period of time. AGM is a style of battery not a brand. It is sealed and never needs acid added to the cells. You may have one however. There are some brands that come with the acid in a separate container. Yuasa is one of them.
You need to take your battery and charger to an electrical source and charge it. Report back after recharge. I will bet that after charging you are good to go...

·
Registered
58 Posts
From the symptoms you describe you need a new battery, you should not need to use a starter pack to start your bike if the battery is good. Take the battery to an AutoZone and have them load test it. The 1500 needs a good strong battery to turn the starter and fire the ignition.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. I charged the battery overnight (with a REALLY long extension cord) and the bike started the next morning. And I learned a huge lesson. I thought anything over 12v on my meter meant the battery was fine.

Even though this is a new High Performance Yuasa AGM battery from Revzilla in March of 2020.

Shouldn't it still be holding a charge properly? It got decent reviews on Revzilla. I'm just confused as to why a brand new battery from a respected seller with good reviews has gone bad so quickly. When I look at the voltmeter at speed, it's up at 13.8/13.9 which I've read and been told is where it should be, so my charging system seems to be doing its job. I have all LED lights now, so nothing's pulling a big draw on the battery.

Should I try to get a warranty replacement? Or should I just go with another new battery?

God bless,

~Mark

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
So you looked at the document I posted about Battery Charge Rate....!!!

How long (months) did you have the battery before it started failing to maintain charge rate...???

Looks like it had a "One Year" limited warranty....!!!!

Did you purchase the "Extended Warranty..???.

The above questions should help you decide if contacting the seller/manufacture is necessary (or not).....!!! .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. I charged the battery overnight (with a REALLY long extension cord) and the bike started the next morning. And I learned a huge lesson. I thought anything over 12v on my meter meant the battery was fine.

Even though this is a new High Performance Yuasa AGM battery from Revzilla in March of 2020.

Shouldn't it still be holding a charge properly? It got decent reviews on Revzilla. I'm just confused as to why a brand new battery from a respected seller with good reviews has gone bad so quickly. When I look at the voltmeter at speed, it's up at 13.8/13.9 which I've read and been told is where it should be, so my charging system seems to be doing its job. I have all LED lights now, so nothing's pulling a big draw on the battery.

Should I try to get a warranty replacement? Or should I just go with another new battery?

God bless,

~Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of course, I looked at the document you posted! :)

I'd say it was within 3 months that anytime I let the bike sit more than 48 hours, I had a 50/50 chance of needing to jump it. And when it did start, it was weak.

I didn't purchase the extended warranty, but Yuasa was quick to reply to me and is sending me a replacement battery. Should I presume that I just got a bad one then? The one I bought was a "high performance" battery that was specifically stated to be good for my year/model of bike. And the acid came separately, which I've been told is better since that means it's a "fresher" battery. I charged it for the exact number of hours they said to charge it for at the amperage they said to. (2 amps) I never charged it higher than 2 amps.

Unfortunately, since my new garage doesn't have electricity to it, there's no way I can put it on a battery tender every night. I am lucky that the wall of my patio is almost directly opposite where the 'motorcycle' parking is, so I was able to just run an extension cord there to charge it overnight earlier this week. But I don't think i could pull that off consistently. I'll have to pull it off at least one more time when the new battery arrives though, but hopefully, that will be good enough.

God bless,

~Mark

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Of course, I looked at the document you posted! :)

I'd say it was within 3 months that anytime I let the bike sit more than 48 hours, I had a 50/50 chance of needing to jump it. And when it did start, it was weak.

I didn't purchase the extended warranty, but Yuasa was quick to reply to me and is sending me a replacement battery. Should I presume that I just got a bad one then? The one I bought was a "high performance" battery that was specifically stated to be good for my year/model of bike. And the acid came separately, which I've been told is better since that means it's a "fresher" battery. I charged it for the exact number of hours they said to charge it for at the amperage they said to. (2 amps) I never charged it higher than 2 amps.

Unfortunately, since my new garage doesn't have electricity to it, there's no way I can put it on a battery tender every night. I am lucky that the wall of my patio is almost directly opposite where the 'motorcycle' parking is, so I was able to just run an extension cord there to charge it overnight earlier this week. But I don't think i could pull that off consistently. I'll have to pull it off at least one more time when the new battery arrives though, but hopefully, that will be good enough.

God bless,

~Mark
Assuming your alternator is working good and there is no additional battery drain (other than the memory draw), I would say Yes......!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm willing to bet you have some excessive parasitic drain issues.
I was able to have my 1500 sit for a couple of months, while I was in the hospital, and it started right up, when I got out.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
637 Posts
Sounds to me like your battery is getting drawn down a little overnight, and that's adding up over time because your rides are too short now to top it off?

Once it gets too low, it will get degraded and won't take as much of a charge, and if it goes really, really low it might not take a charge again at all.

·
Premium Member
2008 GL1800
1,375 Posts
If you don't have a way to test the battery current drain, with everything turned off, then try this. Start with a good charge on the battery, disconnect from charger and leave it on the workbench for 2 days, install in bike and hit the starter. If the bike starts the battery is good and the problem is a current drain/short in the bike. As mentioned in other post, If you have a current meter a quicker way would be to test the current draw with the meter hooked up between the battery Neg terminal and the Neg battery cable.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
You really need to do a parasitic draw test as mentioned above.
There are all kinds of things that can be causing your issues.
Here is a short You Tube Video to help you understand the process.
How To: Diagnose an electrical leak in your car
I know the title is for car battery diagnosis but the procedure is the same for the motorcycle.
Let us know how it all turns out.

Reactions: tctech923

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
So you looked at the document I posted about Battery Charge Rate....!!!

How long (months) did you have the battery before it started failing to maintain charge rate...???

Looks like it had a "One Year" limited warranty....!!!!

Did you purchase the "Extended Warranty..???.

The above questions should help you decide if contacting the seller/manufacture is necessary (or not).....!!! .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 1986 GL1200 Interstate and it set in the garage all winter, with no charger on it, this spring I went out to start it up for the first time, and it started right off with no problem. and the battery is a couple years old. Keep looking for the problem. Oh and I have a volt meter connected directly to the battery, and it doesn't drain the battery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts