Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

If you ever get the chance ride US 58 between Hillsville, VA anf I81. Beautiful scenery and lots of curves. It makes the Tail of the Dragon look like a hanging plum-bob. Blind curves, incline curves, decline curves, rolling curves, long slow curves and curves where you see your own tail lights PLUS...beautiful countryside, streams and woodland.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I like long sweeping curves with bodacious scenery. I actually don't like twisties.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

Oh yes, Rt 58 west from Hillsville to I-81 at Abingdon is a beautiful ride, some of "old 58" remains. Through Grayson County, past White Top and Mt Rogers. Don't miss a stop at Harmon's Boot Emporium on south side of Galax there on the right .... great boots, great prices, and a free museum dealing with the Allen clanand the Great Shootout at the Carroll County Courthouse as well as the Pinkertons and Baldwin Felt's agencies and some coal mining history and local oddities and some really historic guns. It's there at the Boot Emporium.

Rt 58 west of I-81 is a great ride too .... as is Rt 16 from West Jefferson, NC on up through Va. into West Va right through Hungry Mother State Park and as far into WVa as you care to go.

Rt 16 North to 52 North to Williamson (take a short ride back to Matewan, site of the movie and real shootout) and then follow Rt 119 west / south to Rt 23 and 460, take 460 east back into Va. and to Claypool Hill .... great rides. Rt 83 over Haysi takes you through Ralph Stanley's back yard. Get on 58 west and go to Cumberland Gap, visit the Cumberland Gap Historic Park there on Rt 58 just before reaching Cumberland Gap .....

Hard to find bad roads, but if on a "working road" .... watch for loose stuff .... always.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have been on 58 /8 from NC were it starts out rt 8 up to BRP. That is a nice ride for the most part. A couple areas that are boring, one town (Stuart)but the roads north of Stuart are really nice riding scenic roads. Haven't been north of the BRP, we normally jump on the BRP there and come back to Mt Airy to come back home. About a 150 mile ride.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have ridden those roads and they are wonderful, scenic routes to enjoy. They can and will have loose gravel in some of the curves so stay vigilant when you ride them.

Dubs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.