Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

usb port 2012 audio comfort

16K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jackjohn 
#1 ·
the audio comfort has a usb connector in the tail trunk. the owners manual says it should play music from a thumb drive, i pod etc. mine throws a code of "no song" or check usb and nothing in the manual make a difference. four dealers i've seen or talked to can't make it work and the bikes on their floor appear to do the same. Honda was contacted by one of them but htey didn't have a clue either. all three divices i have tried work instantly when plugged into a computer. to the best of my knowledge i am doing everything exactly like the book says.
has anybody out there got this figured out?
the Nav version is diffrent and so are the pre 2012 units.

#4 ·
I've only seen one 2012... But the lady couldn't get her USB to read either.

Since a lot of those sticks come with embedded content - I reformatted hers to a FAT32 drive, then followd the owner's manual to load one dirctory (folder) and a few songs -- seemed to play those OK.

Drive was a SanDisk that was NTFS formatted and had some other content in the root of the drive (system stuff) - the full format killed those files.

#5 ·
I've only seen one 2012... But the lady couldn't get her USB to read either.

Since a lot of those sticks come with embedded content - I reformatted hers to a FAT32 drive, then followd the owner's manual to load one dirctory (folder) and a few songs -- seemed to play those OK.

Drive was a SanDisk that was NTFS formatted and had some other content in the root of the drive (system stuff) - the full format killed those files.
i found on another thread that Honda only supports WMA and mp3. mp4 doesn't work. although the ipod doesn't say it when i coppied it to the 4g thumb drive it shows it is mp4 and i have no idea how to change that and i haven't been able to just put in a cd and copy it to the stick directly.
have i mentioned i am technology chalenged

#6 ·
Many systems will not work with NTFS formatted sticks, that is why most sticks are FAT32 formatted.

There are quite a few sticks out there (Especially SanDisk) that have the "U3" software loaded on them. This software loads when the flash drive is inserted into a PC and allows the mounting of the rest of the unit. Unfortunately this causes problems with systems that are not PC's.

I recommend you get a plain flash drive that has no additional software on it and reformat it FAT32 with a windows PC. Then try copying some MP3 files onto it.

I don't know if the Goldwing will accept files separated into folders so you will have to do a little research on that.

My old iPod was originally formatted on a Macintosh and I had to reinitialize it from a PC before the PC would recognize it as a drive properly. Depending on you iPod this could be an issue when connecting it to the Wing.

The iPod will play MP3's without issue. You can convert all of your CD's to MP3's using iTunes, just go into the preferences and set the import settings for CD's to MP3 Encoder and select the quality setting you would like to use. When you insert a CD iTunes will convert the CD to MP3's and place them in the iTunes Media Folder shown under the "Advanced" settings. Once the Cd has finished being converted you can copy the files out of the folder to use in any MP3 player of your choice or even for use on a flash drive connected to the Wing.

#7 ·
Many systems will not work with NTFS formatted sticks, that is why most sticks are FAT32 formatted.

There are quite a few sticks out there (Especially SanDisk) that have the "U3" software loaded on them. This software loads when the flash drive is inserted into a PC and allows the mounting of the rest of the unit. Unfortunately this causes problems with systems that are not PC's.

I recommend you get a plain flash drive that has no additional software on it and reformat it FAT32 with a windows PC. Then try copying some MP3 files onto it.

I don't know if the Goldwing will accept files separated into folders so you will have to do a little research on that.

My old iPod was originally formatted on a Macintosh and I had to reinitialize it from a PC before the PC would recognize it as a drive properly. Depending on you iPod this could be an issue when connecting it to the Wing.

The iPod will play MP3's without issue. You can convert all of your CD's to MP3's using iTunes, just go into the preferences and set the import settings for CD's to MP3 Encoder and select the quality setting you would like to use. When you insert a CD iTunes will convert the CD to MP3's and place them in the iTunes Media Folder shown under the "Advanced" settings. Once the Cd has finished being converted you can copy the files out of the folder to use in any MP3 player of your choice or even for use on a flash drive connected to the Wing.
thanks, i did get it reformated to FAT32. next i'll try the i tunes again to convert the thing to mp3. i've just about had it with the whole thing. nothing needs to be this complicated.

#12 ·
Boy - ain't that the truth!!! My granddaughter is a whiz kid with that stuff... When the wife and I got our new tablet pc, we asked her how to do a few things - she showed us and said: "your such a tablet baby" !!! :ROFL:

Les

#13 ·
Thats what i was thinking but kids are few and far between in Green Valley Az. stupid thig was i went to the site and got 3 to down load and then no more. i'm going to get another memory stick and and when i figure it out i'll fill it with beach boys, Jan and Dean etc.
i rode the bike yesterday with the thumb drive and it was GREAT!. only wish i could make it schuffle.

#14 ·
I have a 2012 wing with the usb port i use my i pod to play music and it works fine and i also use the flashdrive that i down load songs on to i had some songs play and some not it took me a while to figugre out that some of the songs we're not mp3 format after i changed that format and redownloaded them they work fine you must make sure the songs are in mp3 or mp4 format for them to play good luck

#15 ·
I created a folder on my pc in the music folder where I built the music for the thumb drive. All the music on my pc is in either MP3 or WMA, so I put ten songs in the base and created ten folders with about 100 songs each. Once that was done, it was a one step process to copy the contents of my "MotoMusic" folder over to the thumb drive. Plugged it in and instant music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.