Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for info:
How is your experience with the 70 tires?
Do you have any specs on different brands?
Are you experiencing any irregularities at high speed?

thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,654 Posts
imported post

Tires?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

:baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Administrator
26,154 Posts
imported post

I talked to 1 person who used one and he said it was kind of unstable feeling because of the higher profile and was touching the ground when on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

There has been a lot of talk about using the larger 70 series rear tire on a GL 1800. I wish more of it could be as clear and fare as KIT has presented a CT issue. But I will try to offer my experience with the 70 so anyone can make their own choice. I have a 2005 non ABS Wing.
First of all, I found that not all 70 series tires are the same.
After much experimentation, I feel that the Bridgestone Exedra 180 70 ZR 16 is the best choice for me in performance. Other brands, even other Bridgestone tires did not perform satisfactorily for me. So the Exedra is my choice. I have not tried the Avon COBRA due to reviews of apparentlyno better tread life or performancewith an extra $50 cost. I kinda have stuck with what works, but with an open mind on other options.

Advantages:
Speedometer correction. Spot on.

The clearance in the twisties is a huge improvement over the 60 tire. I can get a lot more lean before the foot peg's rub the ASP.

Disadvantages:
Tire tread life is about 8,000 to 10,000 miles.
The center stand will raise the bike just enough that the rear tire still touches the ground. I made 2simple 1/8 thick metal feet and spot welded them to the center stand shoes to regain the same "up" ground clearance and roll off the stand feel as with the 60 tire. No big deal!

General:
The bike will lean just a bit more resting on the sidestand. Some have reported that it is harder to bring the bike up to level when parked, but I have not noticed this to be a problem. However, if you are parking on a low lefthand side sloped place, it can be a long way down to touch the side stand. So I go for level or right side high,sloped parking places.
Some have reported slower acceleration. I cannot say I noticed because I havent raced a Boss Hoss lately!:DI have spanked a HD or two but don't make that a practice!:action:
I have not experienced any squirm at speed.... 70 mph - 110 mph with the Exedra, be it one up or two up riding.

I feel a good tread performs better than a warn out one. So changing my tire after 9000 or more miles is not a issue, I go through 2 or morerear tires a year. Cost for good rubber is not an issue for me.
Ifone has a spare wheel and tire from a trike take off,one may want to try the 70 series tire. That way you can swap back and forth to see if this is a tire for you. At the cost of one tire, I found it was worth testing the waters. I am quite happy with the Stone Exedra 70. And by far the biggest advantage I feel is the clearance in the twisties. Huge +++ in the fun factor.:action:
I hope this information is helpful.

Corveture Dave

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Conventure,
I and a couple of friend found the Avon Venom to be the best 70. The main reason is because its wall seem stronger than the Metz or the 850 Stone. This minimizes the wiggle some feel using 70 at high speeds.

I may try the Exedra. But, is this not an old design from Stones?
Have you tried the Venom Avon 70?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

There are old Stones and new Stones. Many people remember the origional Stones Honda put on 01 and 02 Wings... and perhaps 03... But by the time I bought my 05, Honda had changed to the Dunlop 250. A better tire but in my opinion not a good tire. Bridgestone dropped the origional tire they had supplied to Honda and re-engineered their tires for the Wing. One of them is the Exedra.
I did try the Avon Venom. It performed well but I went back to the Bridgestone because there were a few reports of tire problems with Avon and others. I do not recall any reports like these with the Stone Exedra's. That is only a personal choice I made. Just dont want to be cought out in the middle of nowhere.... like Death Valley where the cell phones do not work... with a tire defect.

I found the Metz to be the wiggle wart!

A couple of long rider friends love the Dunlop EIII 70. Too noisy for my taste and we have found somethat wereout of round. Dunlop took them back with no questions or answers!?!

I have been following Kit's excellent tire reviews and like the reliability he reports with a CT :cooler:, but Ialso wantthe clearance of the taller profile tire along with the quick transitioning a motorcycle tire gives on the twisties.:action:
For running a 70 series the Stone Exedra is my tire of choice.

When first installed, another friend thought it was a bit lose back there, but that is only the quick transitioning of a new "round" tread tire compared to the warn flat tread of his old tire. Like a Sport bike, the quick transitions are apreciable, especially with a new tire be it a 60 ir 70 series.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Conventure,

A couple of years back there were some reports of Avon cracking in the middle. The Avon company addressed that and redesign both the 60 and the 70....no negative reports since.

I appreciate your report on this. I am going to look into the Exedra next time.

BTW, do you have the specs for the Exedra 70: diameter, load, width etc?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Wingabego...
Here are some specs.

Bridgestone Exedra, 180 70 ZR16:
149+ mph rated.
Tire width inflated, 7 5/16 inches.
Circumference inflated, 80 1/2 inches.
Load rated, 412kg = 908 lbs.
3 ply sidewall.
3 ply tread.

Dunlop 250, 180 (60) R16:
130 mph rated.
Width inflated 7 1/8 inches.
Circumference inflated 76 inches.
Load rated 375kg = 827 lbs
3 ply sidewall.
3 ply tread.

I run 41 psi in the rear tire. The 70 is easier to slide past the wheel lug-studs when un-inflated.

For everyone else..... please let me be clear that I am not preaching my selection of tire as the "only" tire to use. I feel everyone must find what they are comfortable with regardless of brand and tire type. At this time I am vary happy with the Stone Exedra. It works for me after trying many others and I am happy to share my findings, as I am open to other peoples experiences. Just be sure to enjoy the ride!

Corventure Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.