Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am having issues with the rear brake caliper on a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade.

Looking for reliable places to get possibly a complete rear brake caliper assembly?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Hey Putt... nice to see you around...

Are they sticking? Would a thorough cleaning and greasing help?

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pistons won't budge at all, even after cleaning and trying with or without seals. Might need a whole caliper assembly???

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Pistons won't budge at all, even after cleaning and trying with or without seals. Might need a whole caliper assembly???
Do you mean you pulled the pistons, cleaned everything then put them back in and the pedal will not push the pistons out?:?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
FYI
The 1500s use the same caliper on the rear as the 1200s.
Many are available from the 1500s at trike shops.

·
Magic Moderator
4,866 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
There is also ******'s Classic Wings, which I believe is an eBay store only now. When I first got my 1200, he went out of his way to get me a few small parts that were no longer available new, and would have been difficult to fabricate. He had to go out and pull them off a bike he was going to toss. He said he did not normally list those parts as no one ever asked for them, and they usually got scrapped. They were very small parts, I got them cheap, and for very low shipping. I was impressed.

It's good to know that the 1200 rear caliper is the same as the 1500. I may have a tiny leak in mine, even though it was rebuilt, and the bore was polished and looked good. It originally had some corrosion, and may have just enough pitting to cause a small amount of seepage. I recently had the left saddlebag off, and noticed what looked like brake fluid on it. MC was still full.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you mean you pulled the pistons, cleaned everything then put them back in and the pedal will not push the pistons out?:?
Was able to get them out, they'd been very scratched up from before. Can't believe they didn't leak. Even putting them back in without the seals to see how they'd travel they would barely budge. Got new pistons, seals, and pads coming.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Was able to get them out, they'd been very scratched up from before. Can't believe they didn't leak. Even putting them back in without the seals to see how they'd travel they would barely budge. Got new pistons, seals, and pads coming.
That sounds like air in the lines to me.:?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.