Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone use their gw for going camping and fishing? I am thinking about getting a float tube and and some gear to go hit some lakes and streams. does anyone have a fishing pole rack mounted to their bike? would love to see your set up. any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
the pocket fisherman or equivalent folding fishing pole folds up and can fit in a glove box or of course a Goldwing....

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I dont have any pics, but I've carried firearms, fishing equipment on mine.
I put 3 and 4 piece rods in cases and bungy them down to the rear rack. Long guns in cases as well.
Fly rod, UL spinning etc. Waders in the sides. Yes. Its a multi use sports vehicle!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've had a decent spinning rod for years that telescopes. It's good casting rod. I needed a rod that broke down in a small length to carry in my emergency gear aboard our various airplanes over the years. For fly fishing a decent quality multi piece rod will fit in a saddlebag and still provide decent dry fly casting. The new Ruger takedown 10/22 will fit in a saddlebag. Unfortunately my old Mossberg 12ga. won't even when taken apart. Too bad I know of some good duck hunting spots that I could go to with my 'Wing. I like to have everything inside the bike so I don't have to worry about security if I stop somewhere to eat or refuel.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I use a PVCplastic pipe fitting and reducer on the tow ball to hold the bottom of a rod with all ot the rods bungied together standing upright behind the bike and then bungied to the rack at the top box. Few people even realize what they are as from any distace they look like an antenna.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I use a PVCplastic pipe fitting and reducer on the tow ball to hold the bottom of a rod with all ot the rods bungied together standing upright behind the bike and then bungied to the rack at the top box. Few people even realize what they are as from any distace they look like an antenna.
Now that's a great idea!!

:claps::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I use a couple different set-ups: telescopic rods and PVC tubes. The fly rod is a four piece so when I have it strapped to the seat, it doesn't stick out over the side of the saddlebags. For my 4 1/2 ft ultra light, I mount a PVC tube to the rear "bumper" of the saddle bag rack and bungie the rod into the tube and then to the trunk. I don't use a float tube, but my wader's fit inside one saddlebag and tackle bags fit in the other. My camping gear fits on the seat and on top of the saddlebags and trunk.

When I am packed like this, I usually rough it when it comes to meals, so I eat at restaurants :) This gives me more room for the gear that I need to take along.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Now that I have my 1200 running pretty good, and will be able to legally register it in a few weeks, I have the same idea. I live in Phoenix, AZ, which is indeed desert, with almost unbearable temperatures during the summer. But only 150 miles north and 7000 feet up, it is completely different. It's all forest, lots of pine trees and lakes, and the temperature is in the mid 70s. And they have free camp sites available. I'm hoping to take a 2 week trip up there this summer. Take some food, drinks, small tent, air mattress, some fishing equipment, etc., and get out of this miserable heat for a while. I have done that a couple of times before, rode up there on a dual sport bike, but didn't need to carry much. My former in laws were camp hosts, and spent like 3 months a year up there. They already had pretty much everything I needed, including a tent. But they gave it up, so this time I would be on my own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.