Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Goldwing 1500I. The right side folk has leaked oil near the anti-dive area. I live in Italy and it isn't that easy to get things shipped from stateside to Italy. With that regard, may I use any type (detergent or non-detergent and are there different grades) automatic transmission fluid to drain, clean out, and replace the fork oil fluid (left and right side) in my Goldwing 1500I? Greatly appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I own an 85 and a 95 Goldwing, neither has had its fork oil serviced yet but on my two Yamaha Ventures I have used Dexron VI which is rated as a synthetic 20w fluid.
As a mechanic for over 40 years I see no reason why not to use ATF, just use a good quality ATF, because its basically a hydraulic fluid with red dye in it.
I flushed the tubes very well well first, on another smaller bike my 1983 Honda CX650 when I replaced the fork seals I used this type of ATF, works great for me.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
The problem with ATF is the weight (W) isn't usually marked on the bottle, so you can't tell what weight it is.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
A bottle of fork oil is not much more, and the weight is lised on the bottle. I have stock springs and went with 15w, which has worked great.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 88 called for ATF, but it was way too thin. The forks would bottom out at every hard bump. I have read that ATF is 5 w oil. I put in 10 w fork oil and that solved the problem. I have progressive springs and may try 15w next time and see how that makes it handle. With all the bikes in Italy, it is hard to believe that someone does not sell fork oil.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
Different ATF's are different weights with different additives. My Focus uses a fluid only available from Ford, and it is an '08. At least the 'Zone' does not carry it.
Forks are pretty much forks, so you can not go wrong with Fork oil. That's what it is meant for. Yes, the books often say ATF, which will work. But for not much more one can have what is arguably the best option.

·
Premium Member
3,274 Posts
I use ATF in the forks on my 1500 and every other bike I have owned through the years. I like the way it rides. Cheap, easy to find and works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.