Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am interested in folks' experience with earplugs, as I plan a long multi-day trip with some highway travel and find that my open face helmet ( HJC IS-2 ) allows a lot of wind noise.

I have experimented with foam earplugs and find that they remove most of the noise. I worry that decreasing my ability to hear may limit my margin of safety vis a vis other traffic. I wonder if you feel that limiting your ability to hear reduces your responsiveness to traffic around you?

I am going to be traveling with a co-rider and expect that we may both have to use ear plugs so that the effective intercom volume is the same for both of us.

What have you found?

Jim

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
imported post

I have triedvarious foam earplugs but found for me that after wearing them for a while with a helmet, they got pretty painful. I don't know if I just have real sensitive ear canals or what. As far as decreased hearing, I was still able to hear what I needed but the sound level was definitely decreased. I did happen to find this place: www.plugup.com Maybe one day if I get serious enough, I might give them a try. More expensive then the foam but I have seen good reviews on them.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

You should always be using ear plugs every time you ride. The accumulative wind noise will damage your hearing, but with the ear plugs you can still hear everything but the wind, however at a much more comfortable level.

As a side effect you will not feel the fatigue nearly as much using the ear plugs either, that constant drumming of the wind will wear you down much faster.

Different ear plugs work better for each person due the different shaped and sized ear canals we all have, so try a variety of different plugs until you find the type that are most comfortable for you.

Personally I get lazy and don't wear them most of the time for short hops around town, but I should. Certainly if I take a spin on the freeway without them I can tell for a few hours afterwards both in fatigue and the remaining ear strain I continue to feel.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I use the foam ones from time to time, and try to wear them on longer rides. Don't seem to effect the volume of my radio, just seems to cut down on the wind noise. I've never had issues hearing things around me.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I agree with everything that unionjk said. i could not have said it better.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I've been wearing foam ear plugs while riding for about 10 years now.

I don't feel that there are any safety problems.

But it does feel a lot more comfortable not hearing all the wind noise.

When I ride with my wife, I make her wear them too.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
. As far as decreased hearing, I was still able to hear what I needed but the sound level was definitely decreased. I did happen to find this place: http://www.plugup.com Maybe one day if I get serious enough, I might give them a try. More expensive then the foam but I have seen good reviews on them.
Timely thread.........have just ordered a pair of earplugs with speakers similar to the site you provide. Picking them up on Monday and will report back my thoughts.

T.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

It is an undeniable fact that if you ride without earplugs you are damaging your hearing. Period!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

I always use foam earplugs when I ride my CB900, but not my GW. Probably should. However, on trips I wear them at night cause my riding mates snore like crazy.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

When I wear my full face helmet or 3/4 I have always used ear plugs because of the wind. Yet if I do not wear a helmet :ssshh:I never need ear plugs :?. The helmets I have create a turbulence that is to loud for my ears.

One of those things that made the saying.........

Things that make you go, hmmmmmmmmm !

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
. As far as decreased hearing, I was still able to hear what I needed but the sound level was definitely decreased. I did happen to find this place: http://www.plugup.com Maybe one day if I get serious enough, I might give them a try. More expensive then the foam but I have seen good reviews on them.
Timely thread.........have just ordered a pair of earplugs with speakers similar to the site you provide. Picking them up on Monday and will report back my thoughts.

T.
Check you local law. The instructor for my MSC said that you can have speakers in your helmet, but you are not allowed to hear Ear Buds. Go figure. He said that this is an Illinois law. Other states might have the same thing.:?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I wear them all the time and make my wife wear them also. I find that my 3/4 helmet has less noise than our shorty's but still need the ear plugs. Ride safe and wear them!!

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I found that ear plugs allow you to hear the important things like other vehicles and any odd bike noises. they just drown out the unwanted noises at speed. just find ones that are comfortable

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Amen to the use of earplugs. Keep trying several types till you find the ones that fit best. My wife and I always wear them. The comment about reducing the fatigue of riding is very real. The only down-side is having to pull your helmet off and pull the plugs out to carry on a conversation when you stop for a minute. Not a big deal though since you will be saving your hearing.

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Check you local law. The instructor for my MSC said that you can have speakers in your helmet, but you are not allowed to hear Ear Buds. Go figure. He said that this is an Illinois law. Other states might have the same thing.:?
You are quite right..........but not illegal in my Province. Just south of us in Washington State, however, I understand that this practice is illegal.

T.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I'd sure recommend wearing earplugs. I didnt for the first25 years and have a nasty tinitis. If they get uncomfortable you might want to try some softer earplugs. They screen out a lot of the tire noise and wind noise but still allow for the emergency sirens to get thru just fine. I always consider getting an MP3 setup, but if you crank it loud enough to drown out the other noises I dont know if your really doing yourself a favor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.