Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I am new and not good at using these sites, so please reply to my email at [email protected] thanks. Recently got a well used (81,000+) 83 Aspencade. Put new tires on and had them work on the rear brakes. Cruddy, locking, etc. Note, I am in a very rural area and the one shop is 50 miles away. A few weeks later the reservoir was dry and like, no rear brakes. They ordered another rebuild kit and said if that doesn't fix the problem and I need a master cylinder it is too old and they can't get them anymore. Found one on Ebay and took it to the shop (trailered in the snow...) and they said they couldn't use it because it has to have a 'banjo' fitting, where mine has a flared fitting, just like the flared fitting at the wheel cylinders on cars.So they put another rebuild kit in and I again have rear brakes, but will they only last a few weeks, I don't know....So my question is this: is there an adapter or fitting of some kind that will let me use this ebay master cylinder, which is essentially the same as mine except for this 'banjo' fitting verses my flared fitting. The ebay unit is supposed to be from an 82 and the guy says he feels that there IS a fitting, but I am checking around for more info hopefully from you guys (and gals....)

Thanks a bunch

Gunner Benavente, 37 miles beyond the sign that says "You are now NOWHERE!!!"

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'd like to see a pic of the flared fitting sections. You should have banjo fittings throughout.

Something was modified.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

What was the problem with the first rebuild that the second rebuild solved?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Just sat here about 30 minutes now composing a reply and trying to add photos.

And lost it all!!!! PLEASE contact me via my regular email at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the 1983 rear master cylinder is different than the other 1100s . it was the year that started the linked brakes. the 83 m/c is the same for all models of the 83 1100 . i am thinking you have a earlyer master cyl.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
the 1983 rear master cylinder is different than the other 1100s . it was the year that started the linked brakes. the 83 m/c is the same for all models of the 83 1100 . i am thinking you have a earlyer master cyl.
I have a confirmed 1981i interstate, I also have linked bakes. are you sure it all started in 1983?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

can't seem to get this site to work!!!!!!! contact me at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yes sir i am sure it started in 1983. maybe someone changed it over to link brakes before you got it.. the 83 linked system will all bolt up to the 81 . i am talking the whole system and brackets.

does your 81 have the antidive front forks too ?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Ok......attempting to try again to work this website forum thingy:(

Apparently there was a change from the 82 (and earlier?) fitting on the rear master cylinder from banjo to flared, as my copy of the CLYMER manual in the supplement for 80 and later has a drawing of the flared fitting on the end of the steel brake line and says it is on a 83. I emailed the ebay seller and he said he has sold several and they worked, and he feels there is a fitting but needs to reasearch it. So I need this fitting or adapter that will let my flared fitting screw into the master cylinder at the loaction the banjo fitting normally goes on this older master cylinder. The rest of the ebay unit looks the same as the 83 unit.

If i can successfully get a photo attached to this reply, it is a bit blurry, but you can still plainly see the flared fitting screwed into MY current (in the bike) master cylinder.

again, please contact me at my regular email of [email protected]

Thanks for any help! Gunner

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The shop told me there was a lot of corrosion and some pitting.:(

If I was succesfull in sending a photo, and it is the unit NOT installed in the bike, then it is the one from ebay and where the bolt sits is where the banjo fitting goes on. MINE has a flred fiting going into this location, which is why I can't use this ebay unit unless I can put a fitting or adapter in there that will accept my flare fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Letsblowitup!!! wrote:
The shop told me there was a lot of corrosion and some pitting.:(

If I was succesfull in sending a photo, and it is the unit NOT installed in the bike, then it is the one from ebay and where the bolt sits is where the banjo fitting goes on. MINE has a flred fiting going into this location, which is why I can't use this ebay unit unless I can put a fitting or adapter in there that will accept my flare fitting.
this is what I have on my 81.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i don't know of any adaptors . but hay--- i dont know it all thats for sure.
but i do belive you`ll find the 83 has a larger bore in the master clyinder than the 82 on down 1100s. because it feeds the right front caliper at the same time as the rear caliper.
i think you`ll find by useing the forum you`ll get a lot more respones to your questions and even some corrections to the answers. thats why i prefer use the open fourm.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

scottrichmond: your photo didn't show if you sent one. Please contact me at my email of [email protected] so it is easier for email and photos.

Thanks

Gunner

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

I don't have a picture of it , I am just saying mine looks just like the one you show , with the banjo fittings

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

wda-83wing Thanks I am trying.......:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Letsblowitup!!! wrote:
wda-83wing Thanks I am trying.......:(
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:yeah -- they are kinda of a dinosaur. hang in there !!!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i just looked at a parts fiche and the master cylinder you have is off a 82 or down 1100. the 83 models have very different system . like i said earlier-- i don't know of a adaptor fitting .

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I compared your colour photo with my bike and they don't quite match. Hard to tell if there is an internal size difference - which is important for the linked system. My bike has the flared fitting as you describe and show in your b&w photo. I suspect that any brake shop could attach a banjo fitting to the 'new' master cylinder and attach another fitting that would connect up with the brake line on your bike. But in addition to a capacity difference the other downside is that there is very little room in that area. Better to stick with the original design.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Ok, gonna try and send 4 photos I just took. Will probly have to make 4 entries, asI guess you can only put one photo with each reply here. If they come thru, the first one will be a shot of the cover of the CLYMER catalog I have been refering to. The next ones will be of the illustrations that show the screw in flared type connection that IS of 1983 according to this manual.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

photo 2..... This photo shows the 2 types. MINE is the same as the one in the bottom illustration.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.