Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard alot lately about using Pledge to shine up your bike. I noticed th elocal dealer uses it too. Do you clean the bike first and use pledge after? Or just use the Pledge to clean it while you shine it?
Or is Pledge just not a goo dproduct to use?
Thanks

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
You can clean the bike with pledge. It works great.

Just don't use lemon pledge if there are any bees in the area. :D

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I've never had a problem with bees but some say they do.
Pledge works great.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
Also depends on what color your bike is. If it is black you may not like the results. Oily fingerprints and dust magnet.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
You can use the Pledge to clean and shine the bike, but at least for me, after a long trip and lot's of road grime, I use a hose first on the lower portions of the tupperware to remove the heavy stuff.
When I take a trip, I don't take the time to clean and shine every night, so after a couple of weeks on the road in rain and shine, it's a little grungy on the bottom half.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
I am a me too kind of guy on that daily cleaning drill. It don't happen.

When the bike gets to looking too scruffy, then i will clean it up a bit. But I don't fool with the bottom, I can't see it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I am a me too kind of guy on that daily cleaning drill. It don't happen.

When the bike gets to looking too scruffy, then i will clean it up a bit. But I don't fool with the bottom, I can't see it anyway.
Ok, should have been more specific.
Not so deranged as to clean that well, was meaning bottom, as in the lower half of the bags, fairing, etc.
The parts that do show !!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Well it depends on the dirt on the Wing probably.

Some people just spray it down and wipe, some wash first then use the Pledge after Wing dries.

I kinda do both.
If just road dust just spray and wipe.
If gritty dirt I wash it first then do the pledge!

No matter how good a cleaner if you wipe around dirt and grit there is a chance your going to get scratches in the paint.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Have you noticed? Pledge is now advertised (on TV at least) for motorcycles. Saw an ad a few weeks ago... Really surprised me... I have used it for years with good results.. There are several similar products made for plastics with less silicone oil in it that don't leave as much film to wipe off, but I still use Just Pledge.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yes I noticed!

I think we have grounds for a law suit here as we were first to use Pledge as a motorcycle cleaner and polish so they are VIOLATING our INTELLECTUAL COPY RIGHTS! It was our idea FIRST LOL

They only made furniture polish until WE used it for Bikes!

I guess I better file my rights claims quick before they steal my idea of using it on high priced collector cars also! LOL

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I use a stronger solvent to remove the bugs and grime, usually windex. I have an F4 windscreen and according to the F4 people Windex is okay for their screens. I like Pledge for making the surface slicker so rain tends to run off better. Sort of a cheap rainx.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I am sort of with Chromo and somewhat with AZgl1500 on this issue. To me... it is a question of timing and the nature of the grit.

If I have been out on the high road all day in the muck, in and out of truck stops, splashing through puddles, riding the highways and byways of west Texas, accumulating that deep heavy grit those of you who ride truly understand... I will not touch the bike until I have a hose, a bucket, dish detergent and a 2 inch paint brush to attack the corners and crevices.

My reasoning is: I want to "carry the grime away" not "scratch off the paint" by wiping and wiping and wiping... and then wiping some more...

However... if it has been a good day and the dust is light and dry, I will sometimes spray and wipe down the bike in the evenings. I would point out to rotate and change out you rags often... AND I have found that microfiber rags work well for this. i buy them in bulk at places like Autozone and Dollar General... sometime Big Lot's has them really cheap.

There is one notable exception: I am likely to do the windshield at ANY time... I like to be able to see... and I hate the glare bugs and stuff on the windshield can cause.

T

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,529 Posts
Just my 2-5 cents worth and I'll go back in my little corner.... Soap and water have a tendancy to get into places where they don't belong like electrical connectors and cause corrosion on the spade connectors. Lemon Pledge, Mother's Chrome Polish, and Mothers Aluminum Polish is ALL that has been used on my bike since it was new for cleaning. Has she gotton dirty from road grime on long trip's? Yes... I just spray a heavier coat of Pledge and wipe her down. Nope, no scratches either. Ask Jobe05. He's seen my bike and the windshield is cherry also!!:grin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I rarely use water on my bike, it's got to be really cruddy before I'll do that. A few days running in the rain can get it to that point but not very often. I'll second the idea of just using a heavier dose of Pledge when the bike's more than average dirty. The heavier layer of Pledge will provide sufficient lubrication to allow the grit to be wiped away without damaging the paint.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
When I wash the bikes I generally try to not get too much water where it don't belong. So I mostly keep it on the plastics and don't blast hard streams much.

I kinda figure with the storms I've rode through and will again I'm sure, and if I am not moving the wings often sit in the storms at food or hotel etc... a little wash water should not hurt anything.

The dash, controls, radio, etc.. get far wetter in storms than when I wash the wing normally, and of course the rain is really hammering at the lights when I ride in storms.

I had a really nice cover for the 88 but stopped using it much now. I found areas where the cover wore off the paint! More damage from the cover than from the sun and rain! Was on a corner of the trunk and edge of the spoiler I think, not bad but it's there, or I should say paint is not there.

If I rode just clean normal roads I'd probably just do the pledge, but zi get nasty gritty stuff on this 3/4 mile dirt road here.
Was a time when I would not even ride my wings home, I would park them at the shop and drive the Jeep back and forth as needed. I stopped doing that as much now for several reasons, one being it makes it a pain to do the 4AM rides LOL

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I found that Pledge did not last long. I had to apply it more often. It also attracted dust to the fairing and bodywork faster. Overall I stopped using Pledge and am vary happy with the spray Honda polish. Days after appling the polish, I can wipe down the panels with a micro-fiber cloth and still get a slickery shine. With Pledge I had to apply it almost daily. Dust does not build up in a matter of hours at the open area I park at work, like it did with the Pledge.
Now my Brother swears by Pledge for his airplanes. Others like posted above love it. Thats fine, but the product did not work out for me.

Corventure Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.