Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I like allot of others here use the search feature to find those common answers to my uncommon problems :)

Well being that I didn't want to spend my dollars at the stealers anymore than I have to. I decided that one of the many things I wanted to while getting new tread was put new wheel bearings on. Let me tell you the manual needs rewritten on this one because they are a
PITA
, so after searching the forums I ran across a reply and ideal by Jluvs2divesaying to use a bolt and hacksaw a slot in the end and drive a flat screw driver in end to spread it out. Well John a big thanks because that idea put me on the right path. I had to modify his ideal just a bit. What I did was got a 8" x 1/2" boltand cut the treads off flush. Then I took a sawsaw(hacksaw wore my butt out:cheeky1:) and cut the slot like John said to do and then I cut another slot to form a + on the end, my idea was to use a large Phillips to make all four sides grab, that didn't do well, so I ended up using a mid sized punch which worked great, it took me a total of 1 minute to remove the bearing by this method.

sorry if I rambled but I just get a kick out of searching and finding solutions for my problems with the search feature. There are allot of great folks here and this is one of the many reasons I hang my hat here.

Thanks Again John for unknowingly helping me out:action:

Ride Safe Y'all, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i used a big rawlbolt, i dont the what they call them in the states, used for fastening stuff to walls and floors, put through the middle of the bearing , wound it tight till the bolt expanded, put a drift through the other side and whacked it,, ive used this method on bike bearings for years

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Think we call them "LAG BOLTS" around here :action::action:

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

redneck wrote:
i used a big rawlbolt, i dont the what they call them in the states, used for fastening stuff to walls and floors, put through the middle of the bearing , wound it tight till the bolt expanded, put a drift through the other side and whacked it,, ive used this method on bike bearings for years
Yes redneck I have also used this method many times in the past works a treat

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok you guys can stop laughing at me:cheeky1:I being no bike mechanic am always learning and sometimes I get really excited when something as simple as this works for me, certainly after:headbanger:trying to do it like the manual said for couple hours.

So laugh if ya want but remember I'll be smiling while I'm ridin' :action:and its all because folks like you on here helping weather you know it or not :dude::cheeky1::action:

Ride Safe, Ray
:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i dont think anyone is laughing at you ray, especially not me, but the thought of you sawing at that bolt was making my arms ache, where ever there is a will theres a way, and as long as you got the job done yourself without paying shop prices your a guddun

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I think the god lord invented power tools for lazy folks like me:cheeky1:

I'd like to smack that feller with that manualwho wrote the Clymers manual:(seems they say it is easy to take a drift and just tap out a bearing by JUST moving the guide to the side :shock: but as I meant to say this forum is packed with hints and tips and just plain ol' good knowledge by you folks. Never been one good with words:)but I do try.

Like I tell the wife if it is spelled correctly and has no grammer errors then chances are I didn't write it:D

I know redneck, I was laughing once I got it out, and realized what I probably looked like to my wife as she stared out the kitchen door into our garage:headbanger:

Hope your arm gets better soon :dude:

Ride Safe, Ray,

:action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.