Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new 2009 1800 Blue Limited. I spent a little over 2k on it coming out of the gate.(CB,Heal Toe Shifter etc.) The only thing I didn't do was have a back rest put on. I want to get a Utopia but im afraid to make the cut into the heated seat. Any one know of any vendors @ Americade that install them? This is my 1st 1800 and im in love.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

am in the same boat you are,have a 2007 1800 want to put on a Utopia backrest too. but do want to make the cut in the seat. one wrong cut lots money down the drain.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If you watch the video made by Steve on here and follow the instructions with the back rest, it is easy and you won't get it wrong, I have done two now and if I can do it successfully, anyone can. The results are well worth the worry, trust me.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Where is the video please Pete? Sorry if its an easy one to find, there is a huge amount of info here and its taking time to go through it all.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Only one tip from me relating to this job, I found a serated kitchen knife the ideal "weapon of choice" to make that cut down through the foam, being long bladed and neat, not tearing the hole and it went through in one pass. Take heart that the element of the heated seat is not in the line of the cut and there is no fear of chopping into it unless you go waaay off track. :)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I also like a serrated bread knife. Very easy really, we would not tell you the cliff is only two feet high.......well maybe :D. Watch the video and have a go at it. Not hard at all. Takes about an hour, most of the time is trying to find the drill bit or where did the bread knife go.

One tip for all Utopia users, when you get the backrest adjusted with the little screw where you like it put one drop of thread lock on the screw, that way it will not be vibrating and adjusting itself.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Just installed my Utopia backrest last week on my 1800. Watched Steve's video and read the instructions twice and it was done. Word of caution------ don't let the better half know what your using her favorite knife for.:shock::dude:

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

With the help of watching the video a few times, you should not have any problems. My dealer installed mine. When I purchased the bike a few months ago, I ordered the Utopia. They gave me a discount on accessories (I think most dealers do). The discount is supposedly good for 1 year on further accessories. So, if you don't want to make the cut, you might want to call your dealer and ask if he can give you a discounted price on the backrest and installation.
Dave

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

I installed mine yesterday, I was amazed at how easy it was. I watched Steve's video first and am very happy with the results.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I installed the Utopia removeable backrest on my bike. Used a serrated bread knife. All told it took longer to remove the seat and put it back on than it did installing the backrest, and I've had plenty practice removing and reinstalling the seat. Utopia tried to talk me out of the plug in backrest but I'm glad I put that on the bike. With the woman who hangs around here on the back seat the backrest takes up too much room. For us it was worth the extra $65 to be able to plug the backrest in when I want it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

I agree on the plug in feature. Two up, a back rest can be a bit uncomfortable for the pillion rider.

With my Markland, I had to loosen the two twist nuts and remove it altogether for a pillion rider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.