Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many have found the Utopia backrest to be a fabulous addition. However...
I bought a Utopia last month and mounted it anticipating an increase in comfort. The PO had had one on, so the seat was already cut and drilled.:)

I have experimented, adjusted, and tweaked but I cannot find a combination that is comfortable.
I put the upper mount BEHIND the lower piece which moved it back 1/2", tried it high, low, forward, back, tried a variety of adjuster positions, and still no satisfaction.

The most discomfort actually comes under my thighs like the rest is rolling my hips forward.

Without the backrest, I have ridden 600 and 700 mile days getting tired, but not uncomfortable. I thought it might help make the long days even more enjoyable.

Anyone else had a struggle finding a good setup? It may be that my backsides just don't fit.

Has anyone tried the Show Chrome and maybe even had a chance to compare?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I have the show chrome and like you find I dont really need the rest , but comes in handy for those long days....seemed to want to push me forward some, but with a little tweaking got just right...only downside is cant use it with passenger and she is a little bitty thing....good luck

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
yeah I like to lean way back when I ride with my feet on the cruise pegs way out front, so I keep my showcrome back rest back pretty far since I usually dont have a passenger, dont think the utopia leaves much for adjustment especially if u lean back in the recliner position like me. lol

·
650 Posts
its handy when your on a long cruise where you can put your feet up and lean back and relax!

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I know many have found the Utopia backrest to be a fabulous addition. However...
I bought a Utopia last month and mounted it anticipating an increase in comfort. The PO had had one on, so the seat was already cut and drilled.:)

I have experimented, adjusted, and tweaked but I cannot find a combination that is comfortable.
I put the upper mount BEHIND the lower piece which moved it back 1/2", tried it high, low, forward, back, tried a variety of adjuster positions, and still no satisfaction.

The most discomfort actually comes under my thighs like the rest is rolling my hips forward.
How did you do that? As I recall the lower piece mounts under the seat pan while the top piece goes through the seat cover hole (cut) and stays on top side of seat pan. Lower piece is a loose "L" shape with about 100 degree angle, rear horizontal tab (no holes) rests on frame of bike. :? Installed properly, the seat pan is sandwiched between the two pieces.

Is your seat a stock Honda seat? That is what the Utopia is designed to fit .... aftermarket seats use different seat pans.

As to adjustment of pad itself, mine is adjusted to just force me to keep back straight .... like just to eliminate slouch .... I don't ride leaned back against it. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CrystalPistol - Yes it is a stock seat.

How did you do that?
The mount I refer to is the two piece assembly that is attached to the pad and then to the mounting bar that is on top of the seat bar. As I tried various heights, I realized there was also the option of placing the top piece behind the bottom one.

Since it was pushing, not just supporting, I tried to lessen the pressure by moving it back, placing the top piece behind the bottom mount piece.

I have attached 2 pics showing this - one with the top mount in the original position, and one with the top mount in the rearward position.

Just at the bottom of the pics, it shows the bar that goes IN the seat as I have taken the entire unit off to try it for a week or so. It is attached with a hitch pin, purchased at the big orange hardware store. That made it MUCH easier to take the pad on and off as desired. ;)

There are a couple more pics in my album area showing the mount on the bike. The sheepskin has a slit that allows the seat mount to be accessible.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been meaning to update this for some time... The backrest adds greatly to the comfort of the bike.

I've ridden some 25K + miles since first posting this and could not have done it without the backrest.

I think the issue at first was that I had never had any kind of backrest prior to adding this one and just needed time and miles to let my back and posture adjust to the new position. I find that especially my lower back is supported because I am not slouching as much. I have ridden several 1000+ mile days that I'm not sure I would have been able to do without the back support provided.

So... I join the rest that give high marks and heartily recommend the Utopia backrest.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I like mine. I put the Utopia on shortly after getting the bike in 2010, it has been nice since the beginning, much better than my Street Glide seat and backrest and I thought it was pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.