Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took delivery of a utopia for my GL1500 today. The instructions make it look easy but I'm not convinced. Has anyone here actually fitted one themselves, as opposed to just hearing about it from someone else?

Update; Sorry, the GL1500 should read GL1800. My 1500 is deceased and I await a shiny new GL1800.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

Martin.

I purchased and fitted a Utopia to my GL1500 about 3 years ago, and am very pleased with it. It really is quite easy to fit if you follow the instructions. The hardest part is actually making the initial cut, however after 3 years mine is still as good as the day it was fitted with no problems found. Go for it and you wont regret it.

Good luck

Joe

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Hey Martin are you the guy that made the new smilys? If so nice work, if you don't know what I'm on about then sorry if Im confusing you (the guy that did the Wing smilys is called Martin Egan as well).

Anyway, the wingnut has a write-up about installing the utopia. There is a video clip of it as well but I'm on slowband so I made do with the pictures. The page is here; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800Utopiabackrest.htm

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

That is a good video clip. I hadn't seen it before. I must start checking the main forum more often as things like that creep past me if I don't. Subtle Irish humour is always good, it was a funny video clip without even trying to be funny and I had a laugh at it. :D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
I took delivery of a utopia for my GL1500 today. The instructions make it look easy but I'm not convinced. Has anyone here actually fitted one themselves, as opposed to just hearing about it from someone else?
Hey if you are the guy that made the smileys for the wingnut, well done and welcome to this great forum. :clapper:The utopia backrest is a class act and you will love it. :waving:It's a curse having to cut the seat but you wont regret it. :gunhead:

:jumper: :18red: :jumper:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey if you are the guy that made the smileys for the wingnut, well done and welcome to this great forum.
yes I did the smilies for Steve. Wasn't a big deal really, I'll do some GL1200, 1100 & 1000 ones soon. I used to post onSteves old forum but I had a bad accident on my Wing a few months ago (truck ran a stop sign and ploughed into me) and it's been a slow recovery. My GL1500 was totalled, I got broken pelvis, left knee and hand, several ribs, punctured lung, bone marrow got into my blood and lungs and almost totalled me as well. Only back home mid September and I'm almost 100%. Insurance paid for the bike already so an 05 GL1800 is on its way in about 5 weeks (my original post should have read I took delivery of a utopia for my GL1800 today, I'll change that now), having it in my garage with lots of new accessories will spur my recovery on!

I had a laugh at Steves video, haven't seen him since 1988 (although we keep in touch) and the old rogue hasn't changed much. Good to see him on a video clip instead of just pictures. We used to work together years back before I emigrated. I've just got fatter and balder, mind you I've lost a few stones since my accident! Just wish I could grow new hair as well as skin!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Im really sorry to hear about your serious accident,:( but im delighted to know that you have made almost 100% recovery. :)The fact that you have the courage to get back on a wing again is just fantastic and gives me great pleasure to read.:cool: I came through the mill myself a number of years ago through no fault of my own,:Xso I have a fair idea what you have come through. What country are you living in at the moment..? You will find the 1800 a much better wing to handle. Take care and ride safe.

:clapper: :18red: :clapper:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
What country are you living in at the moment..?
Thats Martin (uncle Bud as he is called) and he is in the USA. He went there for "a few months" years ago but his watch stopped and he lived there ever since. I met him a few times when he was back for a visit and also when I was there on holidays myself. Steve told me he had a bang on the Goldwing but I didn't realize it was so serious. although it sounds like he will be fine.
Speedy recovery Bud. I'm off to Australia for 12 months in a few weeks time. I hope I don't forget to come back home like you did! :p

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Skooter wrote:
Redwing. wrote:
What country are you living in at the moment..?
Thats Martin (uncle Bud as he is called) and he is in the USA. He went there for "a few months" years ago but his watch stopped and he lived there ever since. I met him a few times when he was back for a visit and also when I was there on holidays myself. Steve told me he had a bang on the Goldwing but I didn't realize it was so serious. although it sounds like he will be fine.
Speedy recovery Bud. I'm off to Australia for 12 months in a few weeks time. I hope I don't forget to come back home like you did! :p
I hope you have good experiences in Oz Paul. Once you have a job sorted and somewhere to sleep you will be fine. Try not to buy too many things (TVs, videos, furniture) as they make it really hard to up stumps when you need to. Getting too domesticated abroad is what makes it hard to return home for good. It will be a real hurdle going back to Ireland once you get used to the sun as well! Best wishes to your mum and dad. I hope old Rose is keeping well sice ye were all over here on holidays. :leprechaun:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.