Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok My 88 was missing below 1800 or so. I went through the carbs and everything looks good, synched and it runs but still has the same miss.
Near as I can tell the plugs are all hitting. Compression is 160 lbs on no 3 which seems to be where the miss is . when the wire is pulled from the plug on no 3 there is no rpm and no change of tone. all the rest seem to be strong.

Is there anything in the electrical that could cause this?? I am baffled and I worked on bikes for 7 1/2 years.

Why would the thing miss at idle to 1800 then take off like a champ.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
When removing the plug wire do you hear the spark jumping at a half inch or so. If you do then it is a bad plug and can be swapped with another for testing.

Can't be the carb if #1 and #5 are good. Only thing left is a vacuum leak on the intake runner. Remove the vacuum hose(s) and plug port opening (there are two) and recheck with wire removal from plug again. If no change then look for other vacuum leaks at that intake. One port opening down by the plugs and the other a few inches above.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs perfect now , I tied the radio wires and other stuff on it and went for a ride. Sounds like a miss at idle ,but I can pull out with no throttle and it does not have a miss. I may need to adj the air screws a little. It sounded like before the carb redo . but before the rebuild it was definatly missing bad till around 1800 . I can live with a slightly rough idle , sounds a little like a cam . Just don't like a running miss.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
It runs perfect now , I tied the radio wires and other stuff on it and went for a ride. Sounds like a miss at idle ,but I can pull out with no throttle and it does not have a miss. I may need to adj the air screws a little. It sounded like before the carb redo . but before the rebuild it was definatly missing bad till around 1800 . I can live with a slightly rough idle , sounds a little like a cam . Just don't like a running miss.
I have no idea what you just said.

If you have a rough idle that you did not have before it could be due to a vacuum leak or hose improperly connected.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.