Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 GL 1200 Interstate-- I get confusing/conflicting info on vac lines.
Apparently a 49 state bike (SC141).
I just got this bike and it has been through a lot it would seem. I cleaned and updated jetting (2 were already done, 2 weren't !!!) in the carbs and am in the process of slapping them back in but when double checking the vac lines I found a glitch(?). I did not remove any of the lines that were unnecessary to pull the intake assembly so all except the ICM line and the cannister are as they were originally.

The online diagrams in one instance will show the ICM line attached straight to manifold vac and the air cuttoff to ported vac (as mine was when I pulled the assembly), the other shows just the opposite.
To my understanding manifold vac and ported vac operate very differently.

Any clarification??

JohnF
Phoenix

·
Registered
269 Posts
Air cutoff is activated at closed throttle to prevent backfire, so I would think it should be straight manifold vacuum. Ported only has vacuum when throttle is open.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's how I had it figured. That means whoever worked on this one last hooked it up wrong.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Icm hose hooks up to number 4 carb
Slow air valve hooks to the intake manifold with the nipple on it

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it. Found a little better pic of everything and as it sits it's connected wrong. Whoever worked on the carbs before wasn't watching when they did whatever they half did last time. I think I'm going to pull the secondary air system out but I'll leave the air bypass in just so it's easier to get things in and out. I'm a machinist so I'll make plugs and plates to seal up things.

Thx for the input

JohnF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts