Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got my first Goldwing a few months ago, but it's not my first Honda. I had an 85 Shadow which I got new in 85 and I was still riding it until I was broadsided(Aug 24/2008) a few months ago. I bought my dream bike when I got this 85 GL1200 Aspencade And since it is an 85, I knew there would be problems with it from time to time. My problem now is that I broke both of my feet when I went over the handle bars of the Shadow in Aug, and because of that I lost my job, so I have to do all the work on my bike myself at this point, so on to the problem.

When the bike is warmed up, it start's to rev up on it's own when I stop at a red light or stop sign. Also, I was getting gas while the engine idled, and when I pulled the gas cap off the engine revved up over 5000 rpm's for a few seconds, and then as I pumped gas into it it would begin to rev up over 4000 rpm's.

My question is, could this be a vacuum line problem, or is it a more complicated problem? The prior owner didn't own it very long, but while he had it, he had the carb's cleaned about 8 or 9 months ago.

The only way I'll be able to work on my bike is by getting help from knowledgable people who don't mind sharing knowledge, and after going through this web site, I see that there is a lot of that going own here. All I can say is Thank You, forany help you give me, and I'm the type person who will turn around and help someone else if I see they have a problem that I know how to help with.

thanks again

The First Timer

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Welcome first timer. I see no one has replied to your post yet. It does sound like a vacuum leak ( I believe you are the first new comer to spell vacuum correctly). I never worked on a 1200 so I can't get you very far but I am thinking that when you opened the gas cap and let fumes escape the vapor was sucked in by the vacuum leak. If that is the case you should be able to spray something like WD40 around the carbs and locate the source. The 1200 I believe also has some vacuum hoses that go up under the false tank somewhere.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

i have a 1200 it does the same as yours i think its the way the bike runs normal

adjust the idle when warm that should take care of it

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

My Se-i had the same issues and replacing the vacuum lines eliminated the problem. I've had friends with older bikes who have had the same problems and the vacuum line solution worked. I tried tracking mine down with propane and had no luck so I just replaced them all. Regular line from the auto parts was able to serve for most. Had to buy a few formed ones, though. But mine's the fuel injected version, it looks like a nest of snakes under there. Yours may be simpler. Anyway, the hoses are over 20 years old, it's time to send them to the great hose graveyard in the sky. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

There are a few hoses that come up to the false tank on my 1200 i could see them to be a bit tricky getting them pushed through the gaps, also there are a lot of hoses under the carbs, mine is a CA model so it has all the extra hoses but on the 49 state models there are still a few under there. so if u wanted to make it a proper job i dont see a way around taking out the carbs. I only replaced a few on mine and i got the hose from my local Auto Zone, nice an cheap!

Ali

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site first timer! :waving::waving:

Your bike's behavior isn't normal, I've never seen a 1200 that operated that way. It sounds that there's indeed a leak somewhere. One thing that is worrisome is the practice of filling the tank with gas with the engine running. It's an awfully good way to start a fire. There are hot exhaust pipes directly under the tank as well as possibly arcing ignition wires. For your safety and those around you please shut her down before refuelling. End of soapbox oration.

To speed up as you describe the engine has to be getting more fuel, an air leak alone shouldn't cause it. One possibility would be carbs that are way out of sync. These engines will tend to over rev under that condition. If the fuel vent was plugged and not allowing the fuel pump to deliver sufficient fuel to the engine removing the cap could speed the engine up by allowing the carbs to get the proper amount of fuel. This would be especially possible if a previous owner tried to overcome a poor idle by cranking the idle speed up not realizing his problem was fuel starvation.

Try riding the bike with the fuel cap cracked open just a bit. If you have to, turn the idle speed down with the cap cracked a bit and see how the engine behaves. It would also be well worth your time to check carb sync. Check out the link below on how to make a carb sync manometer for a couple bucks.

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Your advise about carb adjustments coupled with a couple bad hoses has produced great changes. My bike is running a lot better now. I found a leak in my gas line just below the petcock, so I will replace it this morning.

I agree with you about fueling up with the bike running, I did it this last time because I was charging my battery. Kids had messed with the CB and left it on, and it ran a new battery completely down. It worked out good this time because it help me (or should I say you) to identify and suggest a solution to my problem.

I can't thank you enough for the information. In my 53 years I have come to see the bad effect's of capitalism on sharing technical information. In just the last 20 years or so,many people want to make a buck so bad that they wont impart with information without a fee, and that saddens me at time's, because that's not how I was raised.

Anyway, it's folk's like you that restore good faith in my heart (sound's corny, but it's true), I have really dreamed of having a bike like this for a long time, and I would hate to have to sit on it in the driveway and pretend like I were out riding (but I could), anyway Thank You again for your help.

The First Timer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.