Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman came to look at my GL1500 and liked the bike but didnt want to buy it...he was on his way to look at a Valk...called me later to tell me he was buying the Valk...2003 Tourer with 10K on the clock...said it was in pristen condition, got it for $5000..I asked him if he wouldnt mind coming by after he picked up the bike (its in the area) as I sure would like a look see...I tried to talk him to telling me where it was at...:)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
An 03 With 10k on the clock for $5k.........?? Im not in the market, but right at that moment I would have been!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Agreed... that bike should have cost 7500 to 8200.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I had a 1998 Valk.. with 24,500 on it and sold it for $6500.. and I thought I did good. Always regretted selling that bike..
As well you should have.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I'm facing a similar quandary. I just finished restoring an 82 Aspy, have a 98 Valkyrie standard under a cover next to it in the shop, and an 83 Aspy that I haven't started yet. Funny thing is, I rode the 82 tonight, and love it, and am actually thinking about selling the Valkyrie. Hmmm...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I just sold my 98 standard two days ago... and while I am sure I will regret it... I also know I did the right thing. For me... and that bike.

I know this flies in the face of all the folks here that love Valkyries... BUT... Valkyries are not for everyone. I would also point out that none of these folks that continually sing the praises of Valk's... lined up to buy mine.... even though it has been listed here for months.

Granted... fun to ride... excellent rides... but heavy, heavy, heavy... and with a bad knee... that has sent me seeking solace in a older 4 cylinder wing I am stripping naked.

Also... and this was a very big deal for me. Because of the mystique and somewhat rarity of these bikes, they are increasingly becoming minor collectibles. A LOT... (lots) of the parts are no longer available from mother Honda and that drives up the costs of online used parts. For example: last fall I bought a brand new (yoinked at the dealer for a trike) rear end, drive shaft and u-joint for a 1500 Goldwing for 98 bucks. It was lovely. Perfect!

This last October as I was performing rear service on my Valk and just on a lark, I browsed Ebay for about a month... just to see what parts were going for... I was floored. There were 60K Valk rear ends in what I considered to be rough shape selling for 800 dollars. That's a bit too rare for the blood of a public school teacher...

So I sold mine... to a friend in Wichita who is a lot better off than I am... who can afford to baby it at a level I cannot support long term. He gets the bike of his dreams... I know the bikes is well cared for. it's a win-win.

And this is just one tale... of one part. These bikes are really worth far, far more as parts than they are whole...

Just saying... having looked at Valks from both sides now, I can attest that they are not for everyone... and whether or not the Valk is or is not a superior ride had little to do with my choice to sell.

It's kinda like having a vintage 1965 Shelby Cobra... except long term, you can actually still find parts for a Shelby.

T

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would also point out that none of these folks that continually sing the praises of Valk's... lined up to buy mine.... even though it has been listed here for months.

Had I not just purchased this baby in February, I would certainly have taken a serious look at yours. Timing is everything. But you are correct in saying that a Valk is not for everyone. As could be said about most bikes - including our beloved Wings. And, as for parts, unfortunately the Valk was not produced for a long run and thus the limited availability of parts. That's why you want to be careful to get one that's been babied.
I sense your friend will benefit from that fact. Doesn't change the fact that the Valk is one unforgettable ride. And truer to the spirit of the original Wing.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

Had I not just purchased this baby in February, I would certainly have taken a serious look at yours. Timing is everything. But you are correct in saying that a Valk is not for everyone. As could be said about most bikes - including our beloved Wings. And, as for parts, unfortunately the Valk was not produced for a long run and thus the limited availability of parts. That's why you want to be careful to get one that's been babied.
I sense your friend will benefit from that fact. Doesn't change the fact that the Valk is one unforgettable ride. And truer to the spirit of the original Wing.
First let me attest to what I am sure you already know: "Tasty sweet ride, bro!"

Agreed on all counts. Back when I started looking at my wing one of the things I REALLY liked about it was the huge pool of parts... one just does not have that with the Valkyries.

It is a good fit for all three involved that my bike should be passed along to my bud. What odd is... there is a precedent here... long ago, he gave me a car. wasn't a really expensive car but I loved that thing like no car before or since.

It was a 1972 Triumph Spitfire 1500. I am hoping this bike will prove to be similar for him...

T

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I just sold my 98 standard two days ago... and while I am sure I will regret it... I also know I did the right thing. For me... and that bike.

I know this flies in the face of all the folks here that love Valkyries... BUT... Valkyries are not for everyone. I would also point out that none of these folks that continually sing the praises of Valk's... lined up to buy mine.... even though it has been listed here for months.

Granted... fun to ride... excellent rides... but heavy, heavy, heavy... and with a bad knee... that has sent me seeking solace in a older 4 cylinder wing I am stripping naked.

Also... and this was a very big deal for me. Because of the mystique and somewhat rarity of these bikes, they are increasingly becoming minor collectibles. A LOT... (lots) of the parts are no longer available from mother Honda and that drives up the costs of online used parts. For example: last fall I bought a brand new (yoinked at the dealer for a trike) rear end, drive shaft and u-joint for a 1500 Goldwing for 98 bucks. It was lovely. Perfect!

This last October as I was performing rear service on my Valk and just on a lark, I browsed Ebay for about a month... just to see what parts were going for... I was floored. There were 60K Valk rear ends in what I considered to be rough shape selling for 800 dollars. That's a bit too rare for the blood of a public school teacher...

So I sold mine... to a friend in Wichita who is a lot better off than I am... who can afford to baby it at a level I cannot support long term. He gets the bike of his dreams... I know the bikes is well cared for. it's a win-win.

And this is just one tale... of one part. These bikes are really worth far, far more as parts than they are whole...

Just saying... having looked at Valks from both sides now, I can attest that they are not for everyone... and whether or not the Valk is or is not a superior ride had little to do with my choice to sell.

It's kinda like having a vintage 1965 Shelby Cobra... except long term, you can actually still find parts for a Shelby.

T
My view is a bad knee is a good reason to move to a lighter bike.

And the truth is that most any bike over 500cc's will give most anyone a satisfying ride....after all, bikes with motors over 750cc's are not big sellers outside north America. Big motors and big bikes are like cars with v8's that way.

I also think that eBay pricing is not a good measure of reality in the cost of maintaining any bike.

Lots of used bike parts on eBay are more expensive when shipping is included than buying locally from your dealer or buying aftermarket parts from a local independent shop....eBay is simply not the "deal" it was a number of years ago.

Example...good used Oem Valkyrie exhausts are priced upwards of $1400 on eBay, while straight wings has a minty one for one third the price.

And...most any bike is worth more parted out than as a whole...provided you sell the whole thing.

I have owned every model of wing except the rune and the 1800....each one was lots of fun for different reasons.

I've also owned a shadow 1100 c3 aero, which is a bike I'd recommend for your bum knee....the factory driver floorboards are lower and further forward than your Valkyrie driver pegs and it's a couple hundred pounds lighter....cool bikes.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
How does the Valk weigh in compared to the 1500 wing? I have never ridden a Valk, but it looks like is sets lower and would be easier to hold up when stopped. After recent surgery, I am having trouble holding the Wing up at stop lights. Also backing out of the shop really makes me nervous.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
First let me say I truly love my Valk! It probably weighs around 800 lbs with the trunk, fairing and other accesories I have added. At 180 lbs and 5'9" the bike does not feel heavy; getting on or at slow speeds. The only other bike I would have would be a Wing but not as long as the Valk runs. I have sat on lighter bikes that felt heavier because of their height. The low seat height is one of the things that sold me on the Valk. Personally, even though specific Valkyrie parts are no longer made and hard to find, I am sure I could modify it if needed. Of course my backup plan is a late model 1800 if the need should arise.
Dubs

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I have a Valk '97 Tourer and a GL 1200. Between both I see no reason for changes. The Valk I will keep til I can't ride anymore. I love my 1200, however, I wont rule out an 1800 in my future someday!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.