Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Steve has put together here an excellent history on Goldwings. Is there a similar history anywhere for Valkeries?

Also, for similar years of manufacture is the Valk as comfortable as a Goldwing? How does the maneuverability compare?

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I have ridden quite a few Valks over the years, my best friend has had one for a decade now. He had a fancy Mustang seat put on it and prefers that. I would say the big difference is in the fairing coverage. It is a hard thing to beat on the newer Wings and it makes you much more comfortable over a long range ride.
Just my .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

I'll reserve judgment until I put a backrest on mine.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
I have ridden quite a few Valks over the years, my best friend has had one for a decade now. He had a fancy Mustang seat put on it and prefers that. I would say the big difference is in the fairing coverage. It is a hard thing to beat on the newer Wings and it makes you much more comfortable over a long range ride.
Just my .02 cents.
A good .02 cents, that.......

There is something magical about the fairing on our 07' ST1300, for instance. I don't know how they did it, but during a rainstorm we only seem to get wet at stop lights! Somehow that fairing directs the rain and slipstream away from us. After we left Nassir 4, we rode for two or three days in the rain along the Washington and Oregon and Northern California coasts....my gloves didn't even get wet! Idaho Raider's got a good point about the fairing....

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

The interstate is very comfortable, Havent ridden any standards or tourers so I cant comment on them, But with the faring and Baker wind wings I'd put the comfort right up there with a Wing. Gas mileage on the other hand goes to the wing.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Bigun wrote:
The interstate is very comfortable, Havent ridden any standards or tourers so I cant comment on them, But with the faring and Baker wind wings I'd put the comfort right up there with a Wing. Gas mileage on the other hand goes to the wing.
Well, the Valk does have 6 carbs compared to the GL1500's 2 carbs, plus different cams, etc. It wasn't built as aneconomy bike, it is a monster hot rod!:claps::claps: I'd still like one to play with.:claps::claps:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Bigun wrote:
Well, the Valk does have 6 carbs compared to the GL1500's 2 carbs, plus different cams, etc. It wasn't built as aneconomy bike, it is a monster hot rod!:claps::claps: I'd still like one to play with.:claps::claps:

Gene:action:
Believe me I know, I just wish it wasnt so damn fun to twist that throttle and leave other cruisers in the dust. LOL That might have something to do with the lower Mileage.:cheesygrin::cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

my valkyrie gets a constant 36mpg. rides as good as the 1500 wings. its a different ride but i love it.:ROFL:then again, i love the 1500 wings too.

never will ride a 1800 wing. never is a very long time tho.:ROFL:

wish i could find a site as great as this 1 about valkyries tho

mark:waving:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Can't decide? Me either! Got both! :action::action:

The Wing gets the nod for the long trips but, my oh my, the Valk sure can give you a thrill. The Valk wins the 'fun factor' hands down. Because of the different rake angle you feel more stretched out on the Valk. The Wing almost feels like an enclosure when you get on it straight form the Valk. But I know that for the long rides the Wing is the machine for me. All the bells and whistles and comfort for the important package that rides behind me. ;)

Try the Valkyrie site for all the info:

Valkyrie Riders Forum

They're a pretty good bunch of guys. Just a bit more raw, which one could expect from a bunch of cruiser riders. Think Goldwing/Harley Hybrid.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I just hit the 50K mark on my Valk yesterday and my assessment is that it is a fun motorcycle. It's fast and comfortable for two up riding.

It may not be the best touring bike out there but it is very competent. Kinda like traveling across country in a Hemi Roadrunner.

It draws a lot of looks (if that's important to you). 33 - 35 mpg consistently but the harder you twist the throttle, the lower that number gets.

I'm happy with my choice and intend on keeping it but I would like to add a 1800 to the stable some day. The wing is a "sportier' ride.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

• Fourmore bikes I'ld like to stuff in the basement (with the ones down there) are:
    Honda 1500 Valkyrie
  • Triumph 2300 Rocket III
  • Honda GL1800
  • Norton 750 Comando (or 850 non electric start w/rt Shift)
:ssshh:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO! I bookmarked the Valkyrie Riders Forum for more study. I am considering looking at one, if it's still available by the time I get to look at it. I may have to remortgage the house, but I'm getting old and I'm only going this way once.:cheesygrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.