Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well Goldwing Fans, I just looked at the spec sheet on the Valkyrie 1500! This is the same engine that is in the Goldwing 1500. The Valkyrie 1500 can and does rev to 6,500 RPM. What makes it so bullet proof? Is theGold Wing just as bullet proof and we just do not take it there. Is that why we can get 300,000 miles out of the engine, because we can not push it beyond 80%?

Ordoes the Valkyrie 1500have stronger pistons, cranks and rods? I know it does havesolid lifters and cams.

Just curious. If I wanted to go to 6,000 RPM would the Goldwing destroy itself and my pocketbook?

I know itdrops off power at 5,000. Just wondering, not that I would ever try it.

I normally try to run from 2,250 rpm up tomy shift point at 2,750 so the ride stayssmooth, quiet and fun aswe blend well with traffic! The Goldwing is still fast and powerful in that RPM range. Actually drives extremely well in that RPM range.

FerrariMX5

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
imported post

I don't think it would hurt a thing to let a 1500 rev to 6500 or even higher. The thing is it's cammed to produce it's torque at lower RPMs so there wouldn't be any gain really. If you put Valkyrie cams and possibly valve springs in it then it would run to the limit of the carbs.
You are probably right about the longevity part.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Check parts ## for both bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

some time ago i asked if valk carbs could be mounted on the wing. some people posted that the cams are different as other internal engine parts... i've ridden a both, and the valk engine just feel different on the road.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My GL1500 gets valve bounce at 6000 rpm. How do I know? I jumped a tollgate and rode away as fast as I could.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,908 Posts
imported post

I believe the 1500 has a rev limiter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

The Valk has different internals i believe. I know it IS GEARED DIFFERENT. My Dad just bought an 03 Valk and it runs higher RPM's athe same speed than my 1500 GL does

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

`
I have ridden my 1500 in the upper RPM bands a lot. Doing twisties following some folks who really know how to ride twisties :D

I kept it above 5,000 RPM most of a day and it never complained a bit. The oil did foam up a bit, so I just changed it out and kept riding.

The only down side to me is that at the higher RPMs she gets very thirsty for more gasoline :cheeky1:
:action:

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
imported post

I don't have first hand knowledge of the internals, but because it has different (more aggressive) cams, the torque curve will also change. It makes sense that the torque curve is higher in the RPM range. The cams will have higher lift and/or steeper rise. All of these conditions make it necessary to have stiffer valve springs.

These are the only internal engine differences I would expect. Trying to run the Goldwing at the same RPM's as the Valkyrie would float the valves. At some given RPM, the valves will collide with the pistons making a big mess of the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
I believe the 1500 has a rev limiter. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It sure does. I hit my rev limiter all the time. It's set to limit to 6500 rpms.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

I have had a Valk.......................the cams and lifters are solid.......no lag........bigger cams.......bigger carbs...........different gearing...........straight cut gears......etc etc.........bring that 1500 wing motor to 6500 and say GOOD BYE.................maybe not right away...........but it won't take the abuse.........pain in the ass with solid lifters..........always needing adjustment............well, that is if you drive it like the hot rod it is.............................

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

The first time I redlined my 1990 1500 I nearly s##t my pants cause the engine sputtered and shut down to what seemed like only two cylinders firing. Sure you can run it at 6500 but I don't think it will do that for 200,000+ miles. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

xsxlr8r wrote:
I have had a Valk.......................the cams and lifters are solid.......no lag........bigger cams.......bigger carbs...........different gearing...........straight cut gears......etc etc.........bring that 1500 wing motor to 6500 and say GOOD BYE.................maybe not right away...........but it won't take the abuse.........pain in the ass with solid lifters..........always needing adjustment............well, that is if you drive it like the hot rod it is.............................
Always needing adjustment???

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '96 is still coming on strong when it hits the rev limiter.

John

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

according to the book, my Valk makes max HP at 6000 but I know that it keeps right on pulling until I make it sputter by bouncing it off the limiter.

which happens pretty regularly I'm happy to say.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I think I have a math error somewhere - someone check me out:

Premise:

At 6500 RPM, a GL-1500 piston is traveling at 31 MPH.

Data:
Stroke is 64mm.
Two strokes per revolution, 6500 per minute, 60 mins per hour
64*2 = 128mm travel per revolution
128*6500*60 = 49,920,000.
that's 49,920,000 mm per hour.

at 1,609,344 mm/mile that's only: 31 miles per hour.

Generally Redline is calculated somewhere around 60mph for the mass of a piston on traditional metals. I feel that I'm off on my math by about 2x, but I don't know where I fudged this one up.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

^^^ all that math is making my head hurt!^^^

the Valkyrie's got six carburetors, solid lifters, positive screw-and-locknut valve adjustment, and about a 25-percent horsepower increase over our 'Wings'. And Torque? Motorcyclist magazine strapped a Valkyrie to the dyno and found that it produced more torque than any production motorcycle they'd ever tested.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

RG beard MPH of piston.. I did not check your math, but you do realize the piston does not travel just one way, it must also go back, so it travels 4 times not twice right?

Like I said, I just glanced at your math and did not absorb the way you set up your problem.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Ferrarimx5 wrote:
RG beard MPH of piston.. I did not check your math, but you do realize the piston does not travel just one way, it must also go back, so it travels 4 times not twice right?

Like I said, I just glanced at your math and did not absorb the way you set up your problem.
No, just twice, once for up and once for back down.

He's got that covered:

64*2 = 128mm travel per revolution

I think you are thinking that it does two revolutions per cycle, one revolution per intake, and one revolution per exhaust, so it would be 4 trips of the stroke length per every time it fires.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
imported post

Yes, with the proper daily abuse, you will need to adjust the valves on the valk.......mine had the cobra 6 into 6 open pipes............just loved to hear that motor roar. nothing like a dyna rev when going under the overpass..............especially when some poor fool was walking by......................:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.