Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got the chance to acquire a mint 1997 Valkyrie. I already own (2) 1987 Aspencades. Does anyone else own a Goldwing and a Valkyrie. I have heard that they handle like a Goldwing. Any comments or advice on a Valkyrie. The one negative thing I have heard is that they give off some heat in the summer.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

A Valk doesn't handle anything like a Aspencade, they're two completely different critters.

They may give off more heat than a 1200 (they're 1500's), but it isn't much of an issue. I've never noticed it.

Buy it, if you don't like it - sell it.
They really hold their resale value.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Is it lighter to handle! I don't have a problem with my 1200!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I've got both and love each one. Looking to move up to a Valk Tourer from my Valk Standard. Both handle well and last forever if cared for. But I'll tell you this - if you buy the Valk you may as well put a For Sale sign on the 1200. The Valk does everything it does and more.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have both a 1998 Valkyrie and a 1996 Aspencade. I have to agree with norton... they are completely different critters. The Wing is a dainty ballerina compared to the Valkyrie... which is more like a Viking berserker wading into battle wielding a battle axe. "Kill em all... and let the LORD sort them out later."

I will say this... if you are riding your Valk at less than 70 mph, you are NOT getting a feel for how that bike handles... my Valk doesn't even catch it's stride until 70.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I am absolutely in love with my Valk. I had an '83 1100 Wing and it handled like a dream. But the Valk is such a special bike. It does all things well. It handles much better than it size would suggest and the smooth power is never ending. Comfortable to a fault. Add Baker Air Wings and the heat isn't an issue. I will never, ever git rid of my Valkyrie. If I ever got a new bike it would be a Wing though. It is the only thing that comes close! the Valkyrie is the GoldWing's evil brother!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wpgfire, that's a nice bike! Unfortunately, with the weather here in the lower 30's and 20's, I won't get much riding in 'til Spring. I do find that most people that have Valkyries hang on to them.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

bagelboy wrote:
wpgfire, that's a nice bike! Unfortunately, with the weather here in the lower 30's and 20's, I won't get much riding in 'til Spring. I do find that most people that have Valkyries hang on to them.
Looks like it's a good time to get some service work done... although I must say that here in Texas that whole "cold weather" thingy is pretty much a myth. Around here, this is the riding season and we hunker down and work on the bikes in mid summer when it's 118 degrees.

Yeppers... most Valk owners love their bikes... AND like posting images of their bikes...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

You mean you guys have time to shine your bikes?

Dubs

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I have a good friend that has a Valkyrie, and have ridden it quite a bit. I did notice a lot more heat (heat you actually feel) coming back on to me in the summer. However, it sure is nice on a cooler or cold day. He also gets considerably less MPG than I do (over 10MPG) but it does have carbs. :?

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Off topic, but I wonder how many guys here have taken a pic of their bike in front of this sign?

(I'd be willing to be that Dusty Boots has)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I've been past that sign so many times I quit taking pictures of it. I have stayed at Fort Lolo several times on the way through.

Driving in one evening and preparing to get on the road the next morning.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Valkyrie discussion....;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Besides baker air wings, is there a way to keep all that heat off of you? My C50 has lowers, but not sure if they would work with the Valk.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

This summer I rode a Valkyrie across Texas in 115 degree temperatures.
If the engine heat was ever to be an issue, I expect it would have been then.
It wasn't.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

I see the average summer temps are about the same in the Catskills are they are here north of the 49th. The heat will not be a problem at all as long as you aren't stuck in stop & go traffic. And in stop & go there ain't nothin' that will help short of an asbestos suit. But that was true of my Silverwing, too. i think you're trying to see a mountain here where there isn't one. Ride and enjoy. If it bothers you, adapt.

You'll also want to join the Valk Forum. lots of good people over there just like here.

Valkyrie Forum

They've got at least one thread that addresses the heat issue:

Fat Lady's Hot

:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I rode from one side of Cinncinati to the other last summer in stop and go traffic. It took almost 2 hours to get thru. Temps had to be around 100 downtown. The bike didn't overheat and wasn't really to hot. Once traffic did start moving the Baker wings allowed cooling air to flow where it was needed and the highway pegs allowed me to strech out and enjoy the ride.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.