Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang ..... question.

Have a 1999 Valkyrie (GL1500CF). Have lots of miles on it and love it. I have an issue with my final drive. Splines are wore out big time and needs a rebuild. As a lot of you know, buying the individual parts is pretty pricey and the time & tools that it takes is serious. I know a lot of guys opt for a used 'pumpkin unit because its all complete and just bolts right up

My question is .......... can i get a used unit from a 88 goldwing GL1500? This guys says its for 88-2001 GL1500 (including valkyrie) ... anyone have any info on this please? I really just want to get a complete used unit and swap, and be done. which years/models will work with mine?

The pictures of the 1988 look like mine exactly but not sure if it will work properly. If not, which will? Thanks a million

pic below is of the 1988 unit.

Attachments

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Just because Honda used different part numbers doesn't mean it's really different.

I see that Honda has three different part numbers for the GL1200 final drive but have yet to hear that any of the three are different enough that they'll not work on any GL1200.

·
It aint rocket science
3,816 Posts
With the increase in torque and HP of the Valk it is likely the final drive gear ratio would have been changed for that application.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help so far. i know that even know a honda part number is different, that it doesn't necessarily mean its a completely different part ...

but my dilemma is that I need a rear pumpkin setup that will 'work' for a 99 valk. it sounds like everyone is saying that I'd have to find one from a valk only and no goldwing will work

·
Premium Member
12,706 Posts
IF you take the time to look at the micro fiche picture you can see the housing is different .
The Valk has a wider swingarm and wheel . This necessitates the drive shaft comes on a differnt angle than a GW ,from the trans output shaft . A change in the angle of the driveshaft /pinion means the case is different . It also means the gearset is cut on a different angle .
Its very likely for the performance aspect of the Valk is also uses a different ratio .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.