Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am seriously thinking about getting a Valkyrie to replace my VN750 as my cruiser (everybody needs a cruiser). I found out a couple of things on Craigslist. One, there is no such thing as a good deal on a Valkyrie. A 5 year old Vulcan 2000 can be had for less than a 13 year old Valkyrie. Second, just about every Valkyrie I see for sale is a '98 model. I believe this was a first year model? I usually don't like to buy the first year model of anything, but I have noticed that once production begins, motorcycle companies rarely ever fix problems that turn up unless they are safety related. The VN750 has a laundry list of problems, some serious (expensive and common), that were never fixed during it's entire 22 year production run.

So about the Valkyrie. Is it fairly safe to buy a first year model, and what should I look out for? What are the known problems with it? There is one '98 on Craigslist right now with 38,000 miles, black, aftermarket windshield, leather bolt on bags, and a few other accessories, for $6800. Ad says "like new". Do these bikes last 250,000 miles like a Goldwing, or quite a bit less?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I too have been looking at these bikes. A GW engine with four more carbs and different cams.

I would believe it to be a very reliable ride with regards to the driveline.

PM sent.

JD

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

The Valkyrie was a reliable bike. I don't think there was a list of teething problems either. Poor chrome on engine guards is all I remember, and that was for all of them including the 98.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The first year model sold was in 1997. Go to the classified on the VRCC forum and you will find every year imiginable. I happen to own a '98 model and could not own a better or more reliable bike. Just got back from a 2,000 plus mile trip to Bellaire, Michigan and my Tourer was more than adequare for the trip. Thw Valk isn't just a cruiser. It is a power cruiser and tourer too with the Tourer and Interstate models. Rock solid in the twisties, comfortable on the super slab and easy to ride in town. It really is a bike for any type of street riding.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I almost bought one here in California a few months back. It was an '01 with 15,000 miles.. he wanted $6500 and was motivated..

The biggest reason I didn't buy it was the back seat area kind of scared the wife. She fell in love the seat on the GL1800 and that's all she wanted.. so we passed on it..

It was a decent deal though. My old neighbor buddy bought the first year Valk in late '97 and still has it..no problems at all..and its one of the cleanest around still. Good luck with your search. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
... there is no such thing as a good deal on a Valkyrie.

So about the Valkyrie. Is it fairly safe to buy a first year model, and what should I look out for? What are the known problems with it?

Do these bikes last 250,000 miles like a Goldwing, or quite a bit less?
There are deals if you're patient, watching and ready to act. I got my'98 Valk in March for under $4500. 33K and I had to put about $1000 (tires/new pipes/brakes/timing belts/fluids) into it when I got it home to be happy with the way it looked, ran and rode. Still consider it a very good deal.

As was already stated, the '97 was the first year of production, sort of. Remember, its got the Goldwing tradition behind it. The 1500 had been around since '88. This is just a Goldwing on steroids. As a matter of fact, the Goldwing was fitted with the VALKYRIE final drive in '97. Much beefier. For known problems read this:

Valkyrie Known Problems

Looks like a long list but so is the one for Goldwings. Most problems are minor and avoidable with regular maintenance/vigilance.

These bikes will last as long as you maintain them. And that's the gem about these bikes - the lack of Tupperware make them a breeze to work on. You can see and get at everything, just as you should on a bike.

Beware, ride one and you'll be hooked - smooth, agile and powerful. They guzzle gas (about 8-10 mpg less than Goldwings). But I've never seen a stock bike that attracts as much attention. Never get on unless you have time to get to your destination. Everyone wants to talk.

If you're looking for a cruiser you've found your bike.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hi I own both a Valk-99 and a GL1800.
Valkyrie is a really good sportcruiser with exceptional handling on twisty roads. No known shortcomings ,very reliable but a bit noisy gearbox compared to GL 1800(rumor said It was made according to US national brand HD so customer should feel the same!:ROFL:
Summary buy a Valk dont even look at the KAW :badgrin:

//Lars-Erik

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
.............. (everybody needs a cruiser). .......................
Not everyone.

:?

I say everyone needs a track bike. :action: If you get one at least you'll learn countersteering. :ROFL:

And I'm sure plenty would disagree with that, too.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I own a 2000 Valk. Great bike. I would recomend buying a bike that is very close to stock. The one thing I see with Valk owners is they change to many things on the bike. One guy has a problem with a petcock and hundreds change them to something else. Another big thing is what the call desmog. They change a bunch of the vacuum lines around and eliminate part of them. Honda spends $3,000,000 developing a bike and some people spend $3. to make it better!!! I don't think so. Find a stock bike buy it and you will be hhappy.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I agree ,generally better and safer with a bike with standard equipment and not "rebuilt" as Ghostrider writes....

My experience from all my bikes (>20) is that a std bike functioning good during testrunhas been more or less bulleproof afterwards.

"Gurus" who make changes also many times makes mistakes like "threads gone"

and so on . Could be very costly and problematic to solve ! (If possible)

My Valkyrie is complete std and as near new shape as it could be, earlier two owners just ride and serviced it.

My CBX -6 was a "roadracer project bike" when I bought it18Years ago, I have spenta big amount of $ on that bike to redesign it back to std, still not in top shapebut comes closer. Looking back shouldnt have bought it but ......:badgrin:

//Lars-Erik

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

"They guzzle gas (about 8-10 mpg less than Goldwings)" I never thought about the gas mileage being so bad. I'm getting just a little over 35 mpg on my '85 LTD, though it had problems with the fuel injection which are in the process of being fixed. Still I understand normal mileage is not much better. What is the average mileage on a Valkyrie?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

I keep reading these Valk posts :readit:.... I think I want one. :sadguy:

I know mileage sucks compared to mostother alternatives, :ssshh:.... but I think I want one..:sadguy:

I think Ineed "intervention" :byebye:

JerryH wrote:
I'm getting just a little over 35 mpg on my '85 LTD, though it had problems with the fuel injection which are in the process of being fixed. Still I understand normal mileage is not much better. What is the average mileage on a Valkyrie?

:sadguy:

Really? I get that good on my 1500 Trike and I thought it sucked gas? I don't know anyone close with a FI 1200 to ask now, though I have known a few in the past. 45-51 is not at all unusual on my '85 Aspencade though, even whentwo upand I would expect a "Fuelie" model to do might nearas well?

But I'ld say at 35 mpg, you're right in the ball park of what a Valk gets.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I got 33 MPG on my Valk coming back from Bellaire, Michigan to Knoxville, TN. 700 plus miles riding like I stole it to make it in one day. I have gotten 39 MPG just normal riding. My Vylcan 1500 got 45 MPG. Yes, my Valk's gas mileage is less than most but the fun factor and smiles per gallon is out of sight!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

My Valk consumption if translated fromEuropean5-7 liter/100 km to mpg seems to be something between 35-45 mpg ; I feel its rather good compared to my earlier bikes;

Last bike was a BMW R1200 GS-05with around 5-5,5liter/100 km ; a little less but that bike has just two cylinders and a weight 100 kg less than Valkie.

If running like its stolen then I believe You will be round 30 mpg but for "normal use its not a heavy drinker.....

A little more than my Harley Deuce -00 with 88" which was round 5 liters best days but often also came up to 7 liter when using throttle a little.....:lash:

So my belief is that all of these big engine bikes can be run rather cheap but starting more heavy run they use much more petrol whatever brand....:cheesygrin:

And You havestill good petrol price in US compared to here in Europe, we have more thandouble Yours !!

Next bike will be an electric scooter !!

//Lars-Erik

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

My Valk Interstate averages 30-35 mpg, depending on riding conditions.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
I own a 2000 Valk. Great bike. I would recomend buying a bike that is very close to stock. The one thing I see with Valk owners is they change to many things on the bike. One guy has a problem with a petcock and hundreds change them to something else. Another big thing is what the call desmog. They change a bunch of the vacuum lines around and eliminate part of them. Honda spends $3,000,000 developing a bike and some people spend $3. to make it better!!! I don't think so. Find a stock bike buy it and you will be hhappy.
I'm one of those guys that had a problem with the petcock, dont change it if you want but mine is going to cost me $1200+ to get fixed after it petro locked, a $85 part could have prevented that so it will be done before my repaired bike gets back on the road. Oh and my mileage varies with the twist of my wrist. as high as 38mpg and as low as 27mpg wont go into the speeds involved at 27 mpg but it was well above the posted 75mph:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I searched for a long time to find the right one. Near stock except for a couple of SS trim pieces. I plan to keep it stock as well. Good deals can be had, you just have to be patient.

This winter she will get her rear end lubed with Moly and will probably do the petcock mod.

Two up yesterday riding highway and secondary roadsfor 250 miles got 36 MPG. There was some heavy throttletwisting and a lot of smiles.

First ride for the Wife on the Valk and she said the Wing was more comfortable, but it wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

This is not my bike and dont know anything about the owner but thought the ad looked interesting. This is a craigslist ad inSalem Or, just showed up this morning.

Serviced and ready to ride.
Bike has 612 original miles. Touring bike. Excellent conditon.
Sale includes new Leather Saddle bags, and bike cover.
Custom diamond plated bike trailer with storage box sold seperately (standard tires, brake light hook up).
Have tons more pictures that can be emailed.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2523577715

http://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/2523577715.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.