Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Valley Drive in Monument Valley on a GL1500?

looking for some input.

"The drive is 17 miles long of which 13 miles is a one-way loop, and typical times for the full trip are 2 to 4 hours. 15 mph is the nominal speed limit, and some places are too rocky and bumpy to go any faster, though other sections are quite smooth (with a surface of hard pressed sand)"

sounds kinda iffy. anyone out there thats done it got comments?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

I've done it many times in a car. I personally wouldn't do it on anything other than an off road bike. The descent into the valley from the rest area is very treacherous & cars have problems. Once in the vally the sand can be quite deep.

For sure you will fall off!!

The dust can also be very bad

There is a very nice picnic area above the valley & to the left of the descent road. The bike will get there ok & there is a fabulous view of the two mittens.

On second thought, I doubt if you would be allowed down into the valley on a bike.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Yep, oldgoat called it. Dusty!
I have done it on a CB750 with 6"over tubes, a naked GL1000, a GL1100 interstate, and a cb900 custom and made it every time. It can be done but wont be a walk in the park. I go over that way quite a bit and would only hesitate to ride into the valley if there looked like it could rain (monsoon).
Right at the entrance to the valley is Gouldings Trading Post (gas, food, lodging, ect) just stop in there and ask one of the tour drivers the condition of the road, being dirt, it changes.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Wow, that actually sounds like fun. I heading kinda that way this summer, I just may have to check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.